Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #29
B.Buster

Drives: 2010 AquaBlue 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
You do realize what catalytic converters are for don't you? And you do realize if what you've done is detected and reported by anyone, (your dealer comes to mind when you have it in for service) the penalty you could be hit with would be severe?
I've heard on a federal level the fine could be as high as $5k-$10k
B.Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #30
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Buster View Post
I've heard on a federal level the fine could be as high as $5k-$10k
I'm sure the OP did his research and is willing to take the ramifications of his decision...why else would he post it online? Once its here, even if deleted, its in somebody's cache. I'm sure the feds have better things to do...but I thought that when I got involved as a tech on the deal I mentioned earlier.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #31
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
What the he!! Does it matter? I am putting headers on it with high flows in a few months anyway. Damn

Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #32
My new Camaro

Drives: 2500 hd
cats can and do burn themselves out over time and your not required to fix it so i callB.S. to getting big fines
My new Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #33
My new Camaro

Drives: 2500 hd
im just curious if gutting the cats made your engine light come on
My new Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #34
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

I have a tune so no

Old 10-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #35
cheaplabor
It the toybox 4 winter

Drives: LSA 68f100 pickup/2010 rs/2ss abm
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAkrish View Post
What the he!! Does it matter? I am putting headers on it with high flows in a few months anyway. Damn
holy s#!t, everybody get on the carcass! never seen anyone flame the hell out of someone saying that they put on long tubes and a 3 inch system! same shit, different cost. plus it is obvious to the naked eye and this isn't. no emissions crap here either, half the people i know are running diesels with removed dpf's that smoke like an apache warcamp! he can do whatever he wants with his car, and the ramifications are his own!
cheaplabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #36
Kelso

Drives: 99 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaplabor View Post
holy s#!t, everybody get on the carcass! never seen anyone flame the hell out of someone saying that they put on long tubes and a 3 inch system! same shit, different cost. plus it is obvious to the naked eye and this isn't. no emissions crap here either, half the people i know are running diesels with removed dpf's that smoke like an apache warcamp! he can do whatever he wants with his car, and the ramifications are his own!
Thank goodness u said something i was trying to come up with it but u said it! Lk the .0000005% of ppl that run no cats is gna hurt the enviroment? I mean come on. And wat are the chances he'll even get a ticket for it let alone thrown in alcatraz...crap guys.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #37
cheaplabor
It the toybox 4 winter

Drives: LSA 68f100 pickup/2010 rs/2ss abm
there's probably more emissions generated in a long weekend of redneck lawn tractor racing or mud bogging, or airboat races where he lives than his car will emit in a lifetime anyway.. disney world transporters probably count for a quarter of all emissions in the whole of florida, Does mickey mouse have cats?
cheaplabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #38
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Lol, thanks for the back up guys!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #39
Kelso

Drives: 99 camaro
Anytime man lol
Old 10-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #40
ROBBDOGG1986
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Now if this was a Honda or import alone, I would have problem with It but it's not! It's a camaro! Unless he wanted to put stickers all over it or he wanted to make it sound like a fart can then I'd say something, but not today! Damn ricers! You do our thing Eric!
ROBBDOGG1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #41
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Thanks Rob

Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #42
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAkrish View Post
Did it yesterday, WOW what a difference, feels like a lot more torque! And for free! The best mod since my CAI. CA owners need not attempt. Also this WILL void your exhaust warranty from the cats all the way back to the tips. That is all.
That is all? Quit misleading more impressionable people. You also have a tune...that voids your powertrain warranty PER GM. Don't lead people down a primrose path that has no potential pitfalls.

This mod is just asking for trouble down the road. This is an issue in ANY state with any type of emission inspection (other than visual I guess...but how stupid is a visual inspection?) There are potential violations here-plain and simple.

If it works for you...hey great and I'm happy for you. I just pointed out the potential issue because I don't want some kid doing what you did and then facing the outcome. As I posted earlier, I'm sure you considered the ramifications of your decision before you did it. My feeling is that instead of saying CA people don't attempt, you should have said here is what I did, but check federal, state, and local laws BEFORE you attempt.

As far as emissions goes, who really buys into the hype anyways? It isn't so much the extra emissions, it is the legal ramifications that most have pointed to. I hear yesterday that my Siberian Huskies have a carbon footprint as large as my car (some researcher has come up with this!)...so no, I don't buy into that mess.

I've just been involved in a case that ended up costing the original owner quite a bit in fines and a lot of heartache...so I spoke up. It can happen...will it happen to you...who knows, I can't say. I just don't wish it on anyone.

Enjoy your car. I'm sure the longtubes and everything else you've planned will turn it into the car you want. Have a good day.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote