Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Jessrayo ZL1 build.

Hello,
I'm new to this ZL1 forum and new to the Camaro. I have finally come through to the end of a long drawn out and ugly divorce. Prior to the divorce I had a CTS-V that was highly modified. I regularly ran the car at a local racetrack but honestly the Cadillac takes a lot of work to make it a reasonable track car. Anyway, I was forced to sell the car or pay the ex the entire sum of the modification receipts. So last Saturday I found a used ZL1 in McKinney, Tx, I bought it and on Tuesday it was in the shop. Here is the plan on the build:
6.8 stroker motor with forged crank, rods, and pistons.
Linenfelter Heads, radical camshaft.
Headers, no cats, stock mufflers with bypass switch manual override to "hush" headers
Intercooler upgrade, fuel pump upgrade, transmission swap (manual) to match the output shaft on stroker crank. Various pulleys, injectors, etc to handle the power increases.

Replacing rear linkage suspension bushings, and milling of spacers to run 19" rims that I used for track rubber on CTS-V.

I'm hoping the car will dyno at least 750 whp on 91 octane. Car will have 2 tunes on a hand loader, one for 91 octane and one tune for 110 octane race gas that is sold at my local track.

Build is being done by ADM Performance in Lewisville, TX. Andy is an authorized Lingenfelter builder and distributor and he does great work. Can't say enough about how he works with a customer.

Don't know if I can figure out how to post pics but stick a couple on here.

I tried to put them on as attachments.
Attached Images

Last edited by jessrayo; 05-24-2014 at 09:57 PM.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Well damn! Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the forum. . Sorry about the divorce. Looking forward to your build nonetheless!
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
toyosuprablue
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Good luck with the build!
toyosuprablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
kmthor00

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Good God!! Keep us updated on this build, best of luck.
kmthor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Not wasting any time are you.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Not wasting any time are you.
No, I actually was not planning on that big of an upgrade but ADM had the stroker shortblock in the garage with no takers at the minute so I jumped on it. I wanted to make that upgrade on the caddy but was already overloading the cooling systems.

I only drove the ZL1 about 150 miles before taking it to the shop. The tires and resultant gearing are taller in the ZL1 than the CTS-V so it has a lot harder time accelerating in the top gears (5 and 6). My ZL1 dynoed 560 whp before he tore it down. It had a cold air kit but I didn't realize it also had a pulley and a tune. It will be a much better track car but I don't think it is as well suited for those top speed runs due to drag and gearing.

Last edited by jessrayo; 07-23-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Hey cool!!!! I just left there yesterday and drove my vert home (he did a badass job on it btw). I saw your car there and Andy told me about your build. Its gonna be bad to tha bone!!!! Congrats!!!

Last edited by LuckyZL-1; 06-28-2013 at 04:09 PM.
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Definitely Subscribed to this one. So what are you doing with that Auto trans you took out? Also what number is your car?

Andy will definitely do this up right...
Old 06-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyZL-1 View Post
Hey cool!!!! I just left there yesterday and drove my vert home (he did a badass job on it btw). I saw your car there and Andy told me about your build. Its gonna be bad to tha bone!!!! Congrats!!!
Hey, he started your car and showed me how the muffler flapper worked on your car. It looks really hot and sounds mean also. I like the intake kit you have a lot better than mine. What did yours dyno?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Definitely Subscribed to this one. So what are you doing with that Auto trans you took out? Also what number is your car?

Andy will definitely do this up right...
Lol... I looked up the vin on my insurance company web site and forgot it already...lol.. 3200 something on a 2013.

He actually took out a manual but the forged crank output shaft on the stroker block is not compatible with the ZL1 transmission? He explained it all to me after I left his shop. Apparently the 1LE transmission on the naturally aspirated car has the same power ratings, gear ratios, etc and has the only output shaft that is going to work on that crankshaft. He ordered it directly from GM and had it shipped overnight. He split the trans cost and paid for freight to put my old trans in his inventory. So he has a ZL1 6 speed manual with 5000 miles in his inventory now if anyone needs one.

He has the car completely assembled and is driving it now. He does the full break in with 3 oil changes on new motors before he ever puts the car back on the dyno. That way he feels confident in guaranteeing his work.

Last edited by jessrayo; 06-28-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Hey, he started your car and showed me how the muffler flapper worked on your car. It looks really hot and sounds mean also. I like the intake kit you have a lot better than mine. What did yours dyno?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304598
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Lol... I looked up the vin on my insurance company web site and forgot it already...lol.. 3200 something on a 2013.

He actually took out a manual but the forged crank output shaft on the stroker block is not compatible with the ZL1 transmission? He explained it all to me after I left his shop. Apparently the 1LE transmission on the naturally aspirated car has the same power ratings, gear ratios, etc and has the only output shaft that is going to work on that crankshaft. He ordered it directly from GM and had it shipped overnight. He split the trans cost and paid for freight to put my old trans in his inventory. So he has a ZL1 6 speed manual with 5000 miles in his inventory now if anyone needs one.

He has the car completely assembled and is driving it now. He does the full break in with 3 oil changes on new motors before he ever puts the car back on the dyno. That way he feels confident in guaranteeing his work.
Dang... I was hoping he had an Auto transmission just laying around..

His work is impeccable. You're going to love it...
Old 06-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Drives: 13 ZL1 , 14 Silverado Crew Cab
Good luck with the build !! It's gonna b a beast!!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
jessrayo
Speed Freak

The break in is done and the dyno run is up. 752 hp, 745 tq. Can't wait to get some seat time and see how it feels on the track.

Waiting on an engine oil cooler but other than that it is pretty much together.