Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #43
kunkelz28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
the 4th gens were made for the track and track only, the 5th gen was made to be an all around car (IRS,styling,brakes,20 in rims). So yes the 4th gen is close to the same 1/4 mile times but the 5th gen will blow it away in so many other catagories and with some mods it will start turning better track times as people start experimenting. just my 2 cents
kunkelz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #44
S8ER01Z

Drives: Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkelz28 View Post
the 4th gens were made for the track and track only, the 5th gen was made to be an all around car (IRS,styling,brakes,20 in rims). So yes the 4th gen is close to the same 1/4 mile times but the 5th gen will blow it away in so many other catagories and with some mods it will start turning better track times as people start experimenting. just my 2 cents
I know what you are saying but the 4th gen isn't exactly a great 1/4 mile car... in stock form they leave a lot on the table with their skinny width tires and less than ideal gearing. They are not slouches on a roadcourse either.. the 5th may surpass it's performance in some cases but it's not like its leaps and bounds ahead.

If we were talking interior/build quality or something then sure.

Mod for Mod the LS3 will definately trump the LS1...no question there.
S8ER01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #45
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
I know what you are saying but the 4th gen isn't exactly a great 1/4 mile car... in stock form they leave a lot on the table with their skinny width tires and less than ideal gearing. They are not slouches on a roadcourse either.. the 5th may surpass it's performance in some cases but it's not like its leaps and bounds ahead.

If we were talking interior/build quality or something then sure.

Mod for Mod the LS3 will definately trump the LS1...no question there.
I think performance-wise, the 5th Gen. is at least as good as a 4th Gen. but the 5th Gen. is a lot better all-around car. I'm not sure that's arguable at all. Leaps and bounds ahead of a 4th Gen. - probably not. To think performance is going to get better than now is really encouraging to me too.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #46
m1tankr

Drives: '69 Camaro RS LM-1
Compare stock to stock from same independent tests (magazines and auto web sites with no bones to pick), the 5th gen is consistently running faster times. You have to compare apples to apples. Looking at the ls1 sites, there are a few that have gone into 12's stock, but those are the exception, not the rule. From the 4th gen owners posts, most of them were able to get their ls1 f-bods to low 13's in good conditions. There are plenty of 13-14sec passes to get there. The 5th gen times will get faster as they break in and the drivers learn to launch their new IRS car better. As more 5th gens come out, more factory freaks will pop up.
My memory isn't as selective as some others on here. I ran 12's in my old T-Type also, but I had plenty of 13 sec time slips to go with the couple of 12's ('til I made it faster). I don't remember running 14's, but I'm sure I did depending on the conditions. I've watched plenty of stock LS1's running 14's when I was running 13's. Saw plenty of 15 second GT's that looked like SVO catalogs under the hoods. Running through archives, there are plenty of LS1's guys posting about running 14's to 13's when they 1st started. There's a reason LS1 guys are upgrading to LS3 parts and LS3 guys aren't going to LS1 parts. Technology moves on, engines get more power, tires get stickier, things get better, cars get faster. The 4th gen guys have nothing to apologize for, just remember the fish tends to get bigger each time you tell the story, your old girlfriends get better looking, and your car always gets a little faster each year.
m1tankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #47
shinzon
Night Fury

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tankr View Post
. The 4th gen guys have nothing to apologize for, just remember the fish tends to get bigger each time you tell the story, your old girlfriends get better looking, and your car always gets a little faster each year.
I not apologizing, No one has taken me up on my invite yet.

Bottom Line here is that the 4th Gen is what the 2010 is being measured against, ain't nothing like setting the bar.

Seriously though, the 2010 is 12 years newer than the ls1 fbody it should be better. It is also considerably much more loot now.

I love my 4th gen, 5th gen is a great car I can see why you could love that. It is what you like. My car is 11 years old and look super new, it runs like a mofo and I can't to run a fith gen, but alas if I could put a LS3 in my fourth gen then that would be super tiities..

2014 Black ZL1 - Toothless -
Previous Lovers :2014 1LE , 2010 2SS RS,2004 GTO, 2000 Camaro SS x 2
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #48
S8ER01Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tankr View Post
From the 4th gen owners posts, most of them were able to get their ls1 f-bods to low 13's in good conditions. There are plenty of 13-14sec passes to get there.
I honestly have never had a 14 second slip in this car... the fiancee tagged a 13.1 @ 105mph on her 3rd pass down the strip (in anything) and even her first attempts were 13.5 ~ 13.6. The launch is tricky but it's not exactly difficult to row gears after getting it off the line. Not sure where people find these horrible drivers at that struggle to get a 13 in an LS1 car but they should be rounded up and shot. haha... hell my LT1 automatic car ran 14.1 @ 97mph on it's very first pass at Cordova.

Quote:
Compare stock to stock from same independent tests (magazines and auto web sites with no bones to pick), the 5th gen is consistently running faster times. You have to compare apples to apples.
You have to keep in mind that the magazines testing methods have changed over time... the GPS equipment they use now isn't the same stuff they used 10 years ago while testing. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Most of the magazines switched testing equipment about 5 years ago if memory serves so you can look it up for yourself. If you really don't believe it (or think it's some crazy excuse) I can go get it for you.

Quote:
Looking at the ls1 sites, there are a few that have gone into 12's stock, but those are the exception, not the rule.
This is true...however it makes it a fact and not a tall tale. It does take talent to launch properly on 245 width tires as anyone here 'SHOULD' know...

Quote:
My memory isn't as selective as some others on here. I ran 12's in my old T-Type also, but I had plenty of 13 sec time slips to go with the couple of 12's ('til I made it faster). I don't remember running 14's, but I'm sure I did depending on the conditions. I've watched plenty of stock LS1's running 14's when I was running 13's. Saw plenty of 15 second GT's that looked like SVO catalogs under the hoods. Running through archives, there are plenty of LS1's guys posting about running 14's to 13's when they 1st started. There's a reason LS1 guys are upgrading to LS3 parts and LS3 guys aren't going to LS1 parts. Technology moves on, engines get more power, tires get stickier, things get better, cars get faster. The 4th gen guys have nothing to apologize for, just remember the fish tends to get bigger each time you tell the story, your old girlfriends get better looking, and your car always gets a little faster each year.
I certainly wouldn't apologize... it's a well known fact that the majority of drivers can't drive. Anytime someone will talent pulls off a great pass the rest of the community starts talking about how the car is a freak yet when said car hits the dyno it makes the same numbers as the others. There is a reason why people like Jaime Furman, Ranger, Evan Smith, Jordan Muser(sp?), etc get a lot of credit for their skills. Not everyone can drive a car to it's potential and people seem to think they are not in the majority when they are. I know people who brag all the time about their 'skills' and when they hit the strip they come away with 'ok' times for their car. The problem is their egos get inflated and suddenly half a second slower than the fastest times becomes 'what the car should do' instead of 'I can do better'.

I am far from a great driver, I just studied up on what Ranger was preaching (www.rangeracceleration.com). All of my passes have been made using things he has talked about.. my launch RPM was taken directly from Evan Smiths 12 second passes, the fiancees 13.1 ~ 13.3 (ALL DAY LONG and I'm talking 20+ passes) were all done using these same methods.

Before people start cementing their beliefs on what something should or should not do maybe they should just start looking around more.

Honestly if I was clueless I would be walking around talking about 5th gens being mid 13 second cars and downplaying the 12.87 done at Cordova. Fortunately I am far too open minded to be blinded like that.

Bottom line... I've never stated the 4th gen is 'FASTER' than the 5th gen... they are just very close in performance (look at nineballs post). Fact is I would embarass most of the drivers currently cruising around in 5th gens right now (others like Nineball and Speedy would embarass me). The 5th gen is not worlds above the 4th gen in performance and it doesn't do any good to pretend it is. If fragile egos need that reassurance look elsewhere... come winter you will be seeing 12 second slips (12.6 if my prediction is correct) but you will STILL be seeing guys in the 13s. Welcome to reality... not everyone can drive and not all tracks are created equal.

I apologize to the guys are know what they are talking about..didn't mean to waste your time with my post.

Last edited by S8ER01Z; 07-29-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #49
m1tankr

Drives: '69 Camaro RS LM-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinzon View Post
Bottom Line here is that the 4th Gen is what the 2010 is being measured against, ain't nothing like setting the bar.

Seriously though, the 2010 is 12 years newer than the ls1 fbody it should be better. It is also considerably much more loot now.

I love my 4th gen, 5th gen is a great car I can see why you could love that. It is what you like. My car is 11 years old and look super new, it runs like a mofo and I can't to run a fith gen, but alas if I could put a LS3 in my fourth gen then that would be super tiities..
For most, it's being measured up against the new Mustang and Challenger.

The pricing is actually pretty similar. I found 2 tests of 2002 SS. Both priced out at $32k. Now you get a more refined version with Brembo brakes, nav, Onstar, IRS, more power, other new tech for a similar price, 7 yrs later. Compare apples to apples and it's looking pretty good.

I like your car, but it's sort of like comparing yours to a 69 Camaro, everyone has their own taste, but they are different cars from a different period. so the comparisons don't hold up.

If you're just looking for 1/4 times, I think they'll be pretty comparable as they break in and more are running. I think the edge will go to the 5th gens over the next couple of years. So your same money now buys a nicer car that satisfies all the current regs that increased weight, and runs the same or faster. I don't see the issue.

Enjoy them all.
m1tankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #50
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinzon View Post
I not apologizing, No one has taken me up on my invite yet.

The only thing I don't agree with you on is that the 2010 camaro costs considerably more money than the 2002. There are a lot of factors involved but if you just take the base price and factor in inflation, the 2010 is not more expensive.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #51
S8ER01Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
The only thing I don't agree with you on is that the 2010 camaro costs considerably more money than the 2002. There are a lot of factors involved but if you just take the base price and factor in inflation, the 2010 is not more expensive.
My 01 Z28 was 23K...
Old 07-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #52
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
My 01 Z28 was 23K...
Inflation my friend...
Old 07-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #53
S8ER01Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Inflation my friend...
If only my paychecks kept growing at that rate!