Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
MR-02

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
L99 canned and hypertech tune thread

Hello all,
I think all the L99 owners should have a place to talk about the canned tunes like hypertech. I realize they will never be as good as a dyno tune-but its the best option for those of us who dont have much free time to go to the racetrack or be following up with (or finding) a good dyno tune shop. We just want a bit more kick in the car during the DD-for now at least.....

So far all I can find is a ton of V6 threads with hypertech-there has got to be L99's out there with hypertech tunes.

What are your thoughts?
MR-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
I'm surprised people still buy Hypertech. From what I've seen in the past they have never gained power in the last 10 years they've been around. I've dyno'd alot of them.

I do not see the point of even thinking of one when there are good tuners here that do the handhelds with custom tunes. There is a million threads in this section explaining it.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
A canned tune, is a handheld tune, is a mail order tune, and ive read they are custom tunes when the tuner reviews a scan and makes a couple changes. I make a good buck off this tunes, but its not a custom tune for your car and i dont push it off as that. Its someones elses tune, made to work in your car.

IMHO, add it up as many ways as you'd like, but to me, its a mail order tune/ canned tune made to work a little better in your car.

For true tuning, you have to configure the vehicle in closed loop and in open loop to custom tune it for low end tuning and cold starts. If your going to tune WOT you have to disable the LTFT and the CATs over tempertures, and tune WOT. After your tune, everything needs to be turned back on, then scanned again to make sure the referance point are lined up.

Last edited by Tampa Tuning; 03-28-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
MR-02

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
So is I understand a canned tune doesnt offer as much as a pro dyno tune would , but then is it safe to say that a canned tune is the safer way of modding for more power?
MR-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I have a hypertech tune on my car (for now, hp tuners pro arrive the other day). made a huge difference, especially in drivability. car is much quicker to react to throttle input, even with afm on.
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote