Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Thread Closed

Old 12-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #57
LovePhenom
I am a UAW/GM employee.

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6
Proud union member here! UAW Local 774 Buffalo, NY. By the way I'm actually working 3 days during MY negotiated holiday vacation in 5.3L Gen V Crankshaft Machining. Don't worry, your products will be available.
Summit White 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 Auto w/ Adrenaline Red Interior, Red Hash Marks, 20" Machined Face Aluminum Wheels, Convenience & Lighting Package, Performance Exhaust , 8" MyLink w/ Navigation, Sunroof, RS Wheel Caps, GlowTie, Splash Guards, Red LGX Engine Cover, All Weather Premium Floor Mats, Cargo Mat, Red Knee Bolsters, Black Front Fascia Extension, RS Floor Console Lid, Red MGP Caliper Covers, ZL1 AddOns Tow Hook, 2017 ZL1 Spoiler.

Coming
Soon:

Old 12-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #58
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
unions are killing American industry. and you wonder why companies are outsourcing so much nowadays... classic case of selfish greed vs selfish greed, where the greater greed always wins.

I just want my damn car here, no more delays, so ignore my truthful mini rant.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #59
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
unions are killing American industry. and you wonder why companies are outsourcing so much nowadays... classic case of selfish greed vs selfish greed, where the greater greed always wins.

I just want my damn car here, no more delays, so ignore my truthful mini rant.
Wall street, greedy investors, slave wage produced imported goods and mismanagement is what has put a hurt on our manufacturing industry.

I work in manufacturing (non union) and we shut down at least every 60 days or so for maintenance for about a couple of days and our big shutdown which is held annually usually will last for 2 1/2 weeks but we work during these times to lock out and get every thing ready for our maintenance workers to do their thing.

Our facility runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Our facility is not union but they take the going average wage of the union facilities to keep our pay and benefits inline with what they offer so that we can be competitive in the work place for moral and retention. Local unions and our facilities senior leadership team for that.

We need to reinvest in manufacturing in this country so we can rebuild the middle class and give more people the opportunity to make a respectable and honest living wage to raise a family with.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 12-09-2015 at 12:53 PM. Reason: url
Old 12-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #60
IntricateDetail

Drives: '12 Corvette GS / '13 Equinox
Lol well I'm a federal employee...sooooo that means you pay my salary right? There, now you have someone else to hate on. And I get 3 weeks of annual leave and every federal holiday in existence. Ok, in for the hate.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #61
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
State employee, same deal here. And my benefits are ridiculously good, hate away.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #62
IntricateDetail

Drives: '12 Corvette GS / '13 Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
State employee, same deal here. And my benefits are ridiculously good, hate away.
Haha, awesome. I had tenure from my time in the Army, so it helped with the bennies. I'm still in my probation year for....a couple more weeks. Shhh, don't tell anyone. But I am getting a grade and step promotion with that 1 year anniversary so that's awesome. Never even knew that was possible haha.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #63
BSX_Camaro
Unleash the Beast!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Tier 1 GM supplier employee and we shut down as well and aren't union. We have TONS of people working on PM activities because it is when our customers are down as well. While they might not be building cars, I'll wager they have many people working on PMs and upgrades.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #64
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePredator View Post
The Lansing plant will be closed for 2 weeks right ?
If so I was thinking why the plant will be closed down for 2 weeks during holidays ?
I mean I work in retail and we sure do work during holidays n we r ok with that ! A week is ok to be off but 2 weeks DAMNNN, anyways just a thought.
I've worked in manufacturing my entire adult life and it's usually been this way. Plastics, aerospace and now automotive aftermarket. None of the shops have been union but all have had holiday shutdowns and/or extended weekends. Shops above and below you in the chain are taking time off. Employees are or would be using vacation to fill in the days between the paid holidays. You reach a point where it's financially more viable to just halt the process rather than run a skeleton crew. If you do open the doors for those that want to work it's a great time to catch up on maintenance or cleaning.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #65
DanaM

Drives: 2010 Ram 1500 / 2006 Charger R/T
Send a message via Skype™ to DanaM
Although I am in IT since mid 90s I too worked in manufacturing before I got into IT. Union manufacturing in aerospace and non union at other major companies and small manufacturers. We always shut down for maintenance. I didn't really like taking time off during the winter when it is cold outside but I did not have a choice.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #66
BlkReaper

Drives: 2016 2ss
I worked at Gm for little while on the line making silverado's and sierra's. Its not possible to slack off on a line where a car/truck goes pass you every 40 or so seconds. There is a plc(programmable logic controller) that will stop the line if one thing is missing. Then half of the plant knows someone messed up. So anyone slacking or not working comes from people higher up and that usual results in slacking regardless of a union or not. You should also tell those people they are slacking when they find out in the middle of their shift that there will be mandatory OT. I'm no expert in unions but most likely no one else in here is either.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #67
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I want to get paid 45 dollars an hour to bolt tires on too darnit *puts on flame suit*
Old 12-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #68
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
I want to get paid 45 dollars an hour to bolt tires on too darnit *puts on flame suit*
So does every member of the UAW whose job it is to bolt the "wheels" on.

Unfortunately, each has a long way to go before getting there.

Laborsmith
Old 12-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #69
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
So does every member of the UAW whose job it is to bolt the "wheels" on.

Unfortunately, each has a long way to go before getting there.

Laborsmith
It is cool, though, how their retirement is not a literal risk based fund
Old 12-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #70
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
My dad didn't even get $45/hour after 30 years at GM.

Closed Thread