Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
2010 camaro SS M6 Shifter Flew under car!

so i had my 2010 camaro for about 3 1/2 years now has about 47k miles and is a extreme blast to drive..

so yesterday i was driving home from work and when i was about 2 miles into the freeway,

i heard a weird clunking sound on the shifter and i downshifted into 5th and the car seem like it started to slip.

then the rattling on the shifter got worse and the noise was being transfered into the wheels.

so i then put it in neutral and when i decided to pull over like around 55 mph the shifter rattled extremely hard and out of no where it flew under the car and the knob flew up and hit and cut my thumb up.. so i pulled over with no shifter and i was like wtf just happened.. got it towed and called the dealer near my house and see what happened.. i think the shifter assembly failed because i picked up the pieces off the freeway. i swear it sounded like an IED exploded under my car!

so sad..
Old 09-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
TX_ED_SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
Wow! I have never heard of this happening before. Please keep us updated on what the dealer says was the cause of this failure. Was is a stock shifter?

U.S. Army Retired
TX_ED_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
slickz28

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs
Something similar happenned to me last year. it ended up being a bolt off the driveshaft letting go and hitting the underside of the body, left a nice dent. if it hit your shifter, it could have destroyed it.
slickz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Ouch. Please let us know what caused it when you find out.

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
that's one of the crazier stories ive read!
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
reason

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickz28 View Post
Something similar happenned to me last year. it ended up being a bolt off the driveshaft letting go and hitting the underside of the body, left a nice dent. if it hit your shifter, it could have destroyed it.
Exact same problem happened to mine a few months back. Also a 2010...
Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

i know, i have told several people about it. unbelievable! today i am going to look under the car and see what exactly happened.

on Thursday i am taking to the dealer and see what they can do. im pretty sure warranty can cover it right??
Old 09-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
turbofreek

Drives: triple black 2ss
Sounds like time to install an mgw shifter and new one piece driveshaft??
turbofreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Get them to install the ZL1 short throw unit.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:49 AM   #10
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

so i looked under the car, it seems that the bolts have snapped from where the drive shaft hooks up to the transmission. i guess when i was pulling off the highway, the shaft must have hit the shifter and assembly and destroyed it. ... :(..

would it matter if i have nitrous installed? i should de mod it before i take it in huh..
Old 09-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #11
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmoguel View Post
so i looked under the car, it seems that the bolts have snapped from where the drive shaft hooks up to the transmission. i guess when i was pulling off the highway, the shaft must have hit the shifter and assembly and destroyed it. ... :(..

would it matter if i have nitrous installed? i should de mod it before i take it in huh..
Nitrous won't matter at this point. GM will make them look at the ECM and they will see the tune so no warranty.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:31 AM   #12
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
wow, this is bizare. Do you have any pics? Really interested to see what this looks like.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:28 AM   #13
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Nitrous won't matter at this point. GM will make them look at the ECM and they will see the tune so no warranty.
Out of the three year 36,000 miles anyways

Waiting for pics!
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #14
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

im not worried about the warranty. got an extended warranty from the dealer. apparently my warranty expired on 9/11/2014... i got the an extended warranty for $2100.. 3 yrs 36000 miles.

so i will file a claim and see if i get this fix by the end of this month.

im sure you guys are interested in looking at some pics.. i will post them soon..

what an ordeal!

out of pocket finding all the parts they might have been around 4-6k. to fix.at least.

so paying 2000 for a warranty. seems like its worth it.