Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
jjmil03

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The Newbie has a question...

So I just got my Camaro on Saturday (2SS RS) and have been driving it this weekend getting used to it. For the record, I am pretty "green" when it comes to driving stick. I learned on an old truck in Iraq on my last deployment, came back with a wad of cash, and told myself to get balls deep in a brand new Camaro. Figured I'd better do it right; why get a muscle car and it not be stick or V8 (plus my dad would disown me, but I digress...)

So far so good! Had no clue about the skip shift, so at first I thought I was doing something wrong (WHY would I go from first to fourth when I am going so slow...). I do have some trouble getting into first, but it is getting better by the hour. Sometimes I am in the groove, other times I have to turn the music down and concentrate. Any helpful pointers on smoothing it out would be appreciated! It sometimes feels like I am anticipating the sweet spot too much and end up revving it more than I should. Also, if you experts out there wouldn't mind sharing where you shift I would appreciate it. I am trying to break it in right, so I have been shifting at around 2k-3k, and not much over 3.5k. Nice and smooth, not in a race or a rush. Other than that I'm just trying to smooth out the transitions when I shift. They aren't bad, I don't have whiplash or anything, but they could be and should be better.

So, to all the experienced ones out there, a little help!!

If I'm doing something wrong, please take the following actions:
  1. Smack me
  2. After a comical expression aimed at hurting my feelings, tell me what I am doing wrong
  3. Tell me why its wrong and how to fix it
  4. Smack me again

After you guys are done tarring and feathering me, I'll come back and post some more newbie stuff and the fun can continue. I'll admit my retardedness and eventually get it right. I LOVE this car!!!

Jon
jjmil03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
first off THANKS for your service...

Second.. WELCOME to the site...

Sounds like you're doing everything right... practice practice and pretty soon it will be just natural and you won't even be thinking about it.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Although I live in Canada thanks for helping make the world a safer place and welcome to the site. Your on the right track, bet you can't wait til the shift points are 4500-5500. That's when the fun begins. Enjoy!

Last edited by Merc; 10-11-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
first off THANKS for your service...

Second.. WELCOME to the site...

Sounds like you're doing everything right... practice practice and pretty soon it will be just natural and you won't even be thinking about it.
...+1

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
TheLazyBrownDog

Drives: 98 S10, 97 4Runner
A lot of us had trouble with the clutch, for me I learned how to drive stick in a 3 cylinder Subaru Justy and since the only sticks I drove where 4 bangers, so going in to a car with a performance clutch and ass load more horsepower threw me off. I'm now a little over 1600 mi and it's much more forgiving, I think it's a combo of time with the car and the clutch breaking in. So my advice is just drive it... and then drive it some more.
TheLazyBrownDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
jjmil03

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLazyBrownDog View Post
A lot of us had trouble with the clutch, for me I learned how to drive stick in a 3 cylinder Subaru Justy and since the only sticks I drove where 4 bangers, so going in to a car with a performance clutch and ass load more horsepower threw me off. I'm now a little over 1600 mi and it's much more forgiving, I think it's a combo of time with the car and the clutch breaking in. So my advice is just drive it... and then drive it some more.
I think I can handle that, lol!!

Jon
Old 10-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
Ooh-rah! But if you gotta ride the clutch a lil bit, go ahead, shes strong. Before you know it youll have it down pat. What service are you in?

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
jjmil03

Army (SSG). Took her out again tonight just trying to play with it a little,trying to get it in first a little quicker, so I had a higher failure rate. Pullin out slow I'm good, just can't seem to do it fast...oh well, more practice....like that's so bad anyway, lol!

Jon
Old 10-12-2009, 01:11 AM   #9
BumbleDs

USMC here-nice choice of cars by the way. Once you feel the clutch start to grab give her the gas then finish letting up, youll get her in no time.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
KATHY63

Drives: 2010 IOM manual 2SS
Thank you for your service!! If you go over 20 in first you will not have to worry about the skip shift. I pretty much put in each gear when I hit the mph, When I hit about 23 I put into second, 33 third, etc. You can not pick up too much speed in 5th and 6th they seem to be cruising gears.
KATHY63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Thank you for your service, and may God continue to keep you safe.

Another shift pattern for you to explore is the 1-3-5. Because the Camaro has such high torque, this shift pattern is easy to do without lugging the engine. I use it in residential areas and other times when high acceleration isn't desired. Other members on this site use this shift pattern, too.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #12
jjmil03

Awesome! I have tried that pattern as well, seems to work pretty nice. I thought it was kind of weird, the 1-4 shift deal. Almost seems like 1-3 would have been better. When I go from 1-4 the rpms drop to less than 1k, which doesn't seem optimal at all. 1-3 puts it above 1k most times. Today was a pretty good day though. Didn't stall out and kept the revving down to a minimum when putting it into first. I can do it without having to mute the radio as well, so I am well on my way!

USMC -very nice BumbleD's!! Lot's of respect here for ya. Worked with a lot of Marines over the years - VERY professional, even to an Army SSG. Can't say enough about them!

Jon
Old 10-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #13
BumbleDs

First compliment I ever got from the Army-Youre good in my books! Hope you get the shifting down-at least you got the car right?

Old 10-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
jjmil03

Yeah that's true, I do have the car. The shifting is getting better...all I got to do now is find a cute chica to put in the passenger seat!

Jon