Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
IndyDave

Drives: '10 Camaro 2LT RS
Sub side- drivers or passengers?

Installing a sub woofer in a couple weeks, just curious as to what the difference is between a driver side sub vs a passenger side sub. Does the opposite side feel more "thump" or the same side, or does it even make a difference? Also, is it tough to install the remote bass knob? Thanks
IndyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Doesn't matter which side, your ears won't be able to tell the difference. Maybe a mic will, but it won't be enough to matter to the human ear.

Remote bass knob is only as hard as figuring out where to mount it and how to run the cable. It really is fairly simple.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
IndyDave

Thanks MR Ray
Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
TK

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
i personally think putting it on the passenger side is a better idea, after all the car will always have a driver in it... but not always a passenger, seems like u'd balance the weight out across the vehicle slightly better that way, not that it REALLY matters cuz its not a ton of weight, but since it really doesn't matter which side to put it on, why not try to find some justification.
TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I went with the ******** drivers side enclosure and passenger side amp board. Since I did that, I would reccommend doing the exact opposite. The factory amp is on the drivers side, so when you install your new amp they wont have to run as many wires across the trunk to the amp if it's on the drivers side. IMO this should help reduce the chance of interference and increase the sound quality. Not something I thought about prior to ordering my setup.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
I went with the ******** drivers side enclosure and passenger side amp board. Since I did that, I would reccommend doing the exact opposite. The factory amp is on the drivers side, so when you install your new amp they wont have to run as many wires across the trunk to the amp if it's on the drivers side. IMO this should help reduce the chance of interference and increase the sound quality. Not something I thought about prior to ordering my setup.
For a sub setup, this is a moot point. Seriously. Even in world champion SQ cars, I've seen power/signal cable ran side by side. Your ears will not hear any kind of noise that that will generate, if any at all. With today's shielding, and as long as you haven't gouged the wire to high heaven, you just will not pick up any noise that is audible, or that will affect any SQ that you can hear.

Now, say you are throwing your car on an RTA or oscope. Then I'd agree that those will pick up any noise generated. However, they don't do that at any SQ championships that I'm aware off, and even then, I doubt it would be audible or enough to affect SQ. Besides, SQ is all but purely subjective anyway.

Also, with that short of a run, I just don't think a quality cable will pick up anything. Now, if you want to state that for ease of install, I'll agree. All the wires being close together does make the install go easier. But it simply, IMHO and experience, will not create any audible difference in sound. Not in subs anyway.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
IndyDave

Good Info M6, the shorter the cable run the better. In my opinion any way
Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post
Good Info M6, the shorter the cable run the better. In my opinion any way

+1
y2k king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Keep in mind that there more available space on the driver's side. So if you're looking for a 12" side mount sub, then you are limited to the driver's side. Being that the battery is in the center of the trunk, cable runs to either side are kept very short compared to a traditional engine bay battery location. In other words, we have the ultimate easy car to install a sub into without running cables thru the cabin, especially with our plug and play rca harness which will be back in stock very soon. You'll be pleased no matter what side you mount your sub on. You won't be able to hear the difference and likely won't notice the weight difference either.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
Keep in mind that there more available space on the driver's side. So if you're looking for a 12" side mount sub, then you are limited to the driver's side. Being that the battery is in the center of the trunk, cable runs to either side are kept very short compared to a traditional engine bay battery location. In other words, we have the ultimate easy car to install a sub into without running cables thru the cabin, especially with our plug and play rca harness which will be back in stock very soon. You'll be pleased no matter what side you mount your sub on. You won't be able to hear the difference and likely won't notice the weight difference either.
steve, i'm getting your 10" drop in kit with the kicker sub. is there plenty of room on the passenger side for this?
y2k king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k king View Post
steve, i'm getting your 10" drop in kit with the kicker sub. is there plenty of room on the passenger side for this?
Yes.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
For a sub setup, this is a moot point. Seriously. Even in world champion SQ cars, I've seen power/signal cable ran side by side. Your ears will not hear any kind of noise that that will generate, if any at all. With today's shielding, and as long as you haven't gouged the wire to high heaven, you just will not pick up any noise that is audible, or that will affect any SQ that you can hear.

Also, with that short of a run, I just don't think a quality cable will pick up anything. Now, if you want to state that for ease of install, I'll agree. All the wires being close together does make the install go easier. But it simply, IMHO and experience, will not create any audible difference in sound. Not in subs anyway.
Good to know. Thanks!

It's awesome to have this much knowledge in one spot.

I Camaro5!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Good to know. Thanks!

It's awesome to have this much knowledge in one spot.

I Camaro5!
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
IndyDave

I think I am going with a 12", soooooo, drivers side it is! Thanks to everyone for the input. I wasn't so worried about the sound, it was more of the feel. That is, does the driver feel more thump with a drivers side enclosure, or would the driver feel more thump with a passengers side enclosure. Sounds like it will not make any diff. Thanks again