Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
sixd8z

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
trying to fix the wheel hop! any suggestions?

Any suggestions on rear suspension parts to stop the wheel hop and achieve a better launch? I started to look into the lower control arms but not too sure what brands have performed better. Plus they offer both adjustable and fixed so I don’t want to invest in the wrong ones.
sixd8z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Trailing arms seem to be the biggest hit/lowest cost towards getting rid of wheel hop. Many brands out there that all improve on the stock part.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Sticky tires. If you never lose traction, you cant hop.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
rear cradle bushings, rear suspension bushings, trailing arms, drag radial tires or slicks, lower control arms, *that's all I can think of now*

There really is no "wrong" answer as to whether adjustable/non-adjustable. Depending on what your needs are, that's the one you get. I would talk to some of the guys from Pfadt, Pedders, BMR, etc about what you are trying to do with the car and then they can help you get the right set up.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The "wheel hop trifecta" for these cars is rear trailing arms, toe rods, and bushings (rear cradle and differential). Those three things will generally take care of wheel hop for most 5th gen Camaros.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The "wheel hop trifecta" for these cars is rear trailing arms, toe rods, and bushings (rear cradle and differential). Those three things will generally take care of wheel hop for most 5th gen Camaros.

What he said

Chase is right, minimizing suspension deflection will minimize wheel hop. The three biggest contributors to this are the Trailing Arms, Toe Rods and Cradle Bushings. Trailing Arms control wheel movement forward and rearward while Toe Rods control toe variation, insuring that the tires are always pointed in the right direction. The Cradle Bushings locate all of the rear suspension and driveline making them a very important factor for handling, acceleration, braking, and traction.

Trailing Arms will usually reduce the majority of your wheel hop and are the easiest (and most economical) to install. If you want to save some money, start there and see how the car responds. If they don't control your wheelhop, then do the other two. The Toe Rods and Cradle bushings should be done at the same time since you must lower the cradle to do both.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
I did the whole BMR rear suspension upgrade and it cut 7/10ths off my 1/4 mile time
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
I did the whole BMR rear suspension upgrade and it cut 7/10ths off my 1/4 mile time
Great feedback, thanks!!
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
rear cradle bushings, rear suspension bushings, trailing arms, drag radial tires or slicks, lower control arms, *that's all I can think of now*

There really is no "wrong" answer as to whether adjustable/non-adjustable. Depending on what your needs are, that's the one you get. I would talk to some of the guys from Pfadt, Pedders, BMR, etc about what you are trying to do with the car and then they can help you get the right set up.
i have most of these things i can say u need them all...i still need stickys and i need a couple of others mods, the subframe bushings and trailing arms alone helped out a lot however
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
Very nice! Most people modifying their cars get too focused on adding horsepower and forget about supporting mods. You can make all the power in the world but if you can't put it to the pavement it doesn't matter.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
You can make all the power in the world but if you can't put it to the pavement it doesn't matter.
well said.
Tech AFX Heater Hose Relocation Kit, Black Chrome Wheels
Pfadt trailing and toe arms, Pfadt solid subframe mounts, Pfadt diff bushings, Street Slayer Twin Carbon
Technostalgia Camaro LED taillights, CTS-V Front Brakes, Powder Coated Calipers By ME
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Complete ZL1 Rearend Swap
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Rockit_z28
www.1baddogracing.com

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS Auto
Quote:
+1 and a big +1 to BMR for some great parts.

Built and Tuned by Heintz Racing
Go: DSS 9", RPM Trans TH400, Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion, ECS Vortech YSI-B, Fore Fuel System, ID1700, Gall Racing 427 C.I LSX, Mast 285CC Heads, HR Custom Cam

Show: Custom Painted Stripes/Badges (Orange Pearl over White), Z/TA Spoiler, VFN Hood, Weld Wheels
http://www.HeintzRacing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/1baddogracing

Rockit_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
What he said

Chase is right, minimizing suspension deflection will minimize wheel hop. The three biggest contributors to this are the Trailing Arms, Toe Rods and Cradle Bushings. Trailing Arms control wheel movement forward and rearward while Toe Rods control toe variation, insuring that the tires are always pointed in the right direction. The Cradle Bushings locate all of the rear suspension and driveline making them a very important factor for handling, acceleration, braking, and traction.

Trailing Arms will usually reduce the majority of your wheel hop and are the easiest (and most economical) to install. If you want to save some money, start there and see how the car responds. If they don't control your wheelhop, then do the other two. The Toe Rods and Cradle bushings should be done at the same time since you must lower the cradle to do both.
Brett,

What rear toe settings do yall use on the red car at the drag strip? How will different toe settings effect straight line traction?

Thanks!
Brad
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
sixd8z

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Thanks for the info. I talked to a couple manufactures today and felt most comfortable with the knowledge of the BMR guys. I ordered rear trailing arms, toe rods, and a bushing kit. Guess I’ll see what happens!
sixd8z is offline   Reply With Quote