Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
scorpio

Drives: E46 BMW
HUDs

After watching the ignition vid a thought occured to me... I do not understand why the symbology on HUDs in automotive applications is always so blocky and bold faced?

If you have a look at aircraft HUD symbology it is almost always made up of thin lines, characters and symbols (FLIR image overlays etc. being the exception). I know that there are technological/historic reasons for this (vector data driven crts) but I think it also makes a lot of sense since the purpose of a HUD is to provide a lot of information while obstructing the view of the outside world as little as possible.

In this regard, I would appreciate it if the Camaro HUD became the exception to the rule and at least offered an alternative a/c style symbology mode.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
100 million dollar plane vs. 30k car... i have absolutely NO idea why a plane would have a better HUD than the Camaro!!
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
100 million dollar plane vs. 30k car... i have absolutely NO idea why a plane would have a better HUD than the Camaro!!
I don't think this is predominantly a cost issue. Of course, very thin lines would require a very high-resolution raster display to look good and artefact-free. But take a look at the 'RPM-segmented-circle' in the ignition vid: Replacing those solid blocks/segments with thin vertical or horizontal lines (like the airspeed or altitude tape gauges on an a/c HUD) would be a relatively simple software change - provided the display panel is actually of a raster type.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I don't think this is predominantly a cost issue. Of course, very thin lines would require a very high-resolution raster display to look good and artefact-free. But take a look at the 'RPM-segmented-circle' in the ignition vid: Replacing those solid blocks/segments with thin vertical or horizontal lines (like the airspeed or altitude tape gauges on an a/c HUD) would be a relatively simple software change - provided the display panel is actually of a raster type.
I believe aircraft use a vector type display (think Asteroids or Battlezone) and the HUDs in cars are just simple LEDs. A raster display can display anything. An LED can only light up in a fixed way (like a common digital clock).
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
flaguy

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Spring Edition
An F-15 HUD is about the price of two SS Camaros
flaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I believe aircraft use a vector type display (think Asteroids or Battlezone) and the HUDs in cars are just simple LEDs. A raster display can display anything. An LED can only light up in a fixed way (like a common digital clock).
Originally, a/c HUDs were all vector type displays. Today there are also raster type HUDs and even hybrid ones (e.g. ECR Tornado).

I agree, if the display to be used in the camaro is not a raster type (it's definitely not vector), changing the symbology would mean a hardware redesign.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Chemical

Drives: 2SS RS
I think anyone would be impressed that there is a HUD in a Camaro no matter how it looks like. I do see your point though...

For right now, a HUD is a luxury item there isn't a need to improve on any resolution on those things for a car. The only way I see this happening is if the HUD displays more information than just speed.
Chemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
ROE

Drives: 2008 cts
WILL THE CAMARO HAVE HUD AT THE START OF PRODUCTION?????????/
ROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
probably the second half of the year.

Caps lock is cruise control for cool...
Old 07-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Hey, I don't know about all this blocky-round-a/c-FLIR stuff, but I think it looks pretty cool and like that it will be available.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
according to the Dealer IDL it will be available DEC 09.

as for the blocky/round/flir. I've worked on flir and such. those parts are usually pretty darn expensive because they are military rated. and to those companies rip off the goverment. but yea.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #12
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
hahaha +1, if I could just HAVE a HUD by release date I would be happy
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:06 AM   #13
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaguy View Post
An F-15 HUD is about the price of two SS Camaros
I will take the two SS's you can have the F15 hud!
I do hope that the hud is ready sooner than predicted, that would be a nice add, it could make me wait... I do not like to wait...
and I can return the GMC at the end of January 09 (end of smartbuy) I thought the Camaros would be around by then, back in Dec 2005.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
image quality on HUD's will improve once it becomes standard for a segment of cars. In the mean time we will be able to get a blocky one on a camaro in about 17 months.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote