Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Demon Eye Halo's/Phastekperformance

Really like to get these, but can't find a local shop that knows anything. Great pictures everywhere, just don't like the idea of cooking/unsealing and wresting it apart. Then resealing and hoping it doesn't leak at some point in the future. So my question is: anyone know if someone sells pre-done. I know for the taillights you can, then ship back the old/new ones and get a refund.

Otherwise I'll go with JDP Halo's, around $275, and installation seems a breeze in comparison. I prefer the Demon Eye look (center is red), but if i can't find anyone to install them I'll go with JDP. JDP's look great, but my first pick is the Demon Eye's. If it's like the taillights, comes with a ten year warranty, and you just re-install, that's the perfect deal for my skill level.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
Normagene

Sent Phastek Performance an e-mail and they told me I'm not the first to ask this question. Here's the deal if anyone is interested; they said I can ship them my lights and they will, for $200, install the Demon Eyes. A hundred a light, not bad, but I'm with no lights for a week or so. Not a problem if I do this come winter. I pay the shipping both ways, so that's a hundred or so plus two for them to install the Demon Eyes. $120 or so for the lights. That's 420 approximately and if I get a shop to do the install, let's say two or three hours shop time, shouldn't run any more than $600 in total. Expensive, but not outrageous.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349334330.466371.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  35.6 KB

After looking at the pictures of the Demon Eyes on the web site again, they show three positions you can put the lights in, one; just the red center, two; the red center and the white halos, and three; the white halos only.

Then it occurred to me that with the halos alone, will that be enough lite to drive at nite? In Mass you cannot legally drive with colored lights. The HID's are what project the light for nite driving, not the halos. Just went out to the SS and tried just the halos on and it's like driving my truck with the parking lights. Piss poor, no way could I drive with just the halos.

If you have the Demon Eyes with the center red, I'd like to know if you are able to drive at nite without the center on? I think the JDP Halos are sounding better and better, plus they can easily be converted back to stock. Really like some feed back if you have the Phastek Demon Eyes. Thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
My brother has been doing retrofits for Eclipses for awhile and recently started doing different cars and is starting a retrofit business as well. We'll be doing my ZL1 this month. I plan to do red halo's and red demon eye as well, while being able to turn off the demon eye and use the projectors as normal when needed. I can't say for sure but I think he could do it for less than that. He's not an official sponsor here "yet" since he's officially just starting his business but PM me if you want his info.
mmarx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
Normagene

Demon Eyes. Just got an e-mail back from Phastek Performance and they told me the Demon Eyes comes with a switch to shut off the red centers.

Now I'm back to square one. Pay $275 for what is really my second choice, the JDP's, or double that for the amount my first choice the Demon Eyes. Decisions, decisions....what yo do...

Phastek Performance told me they will do the same for the taillights and side markers, but the side markers can take up to two weeks for the matching paint.

Wow, I need to start making some decisions, which headlights, then the afterburner tails and side markers. What about the DRL's, I was thinking of just blackout film?

Love to see some pictures of whatever you decided to do with your lights.

Big shout out to Deke 736 for the great advice and incredible pictures. You want to see it done right.... Check out his Ashen Gray ZL1!!! Top Dog on the block for sure.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
I do not know the install procedure for the demon eyes (bake apart?) But I installed the JDP kit myself and I love it. Lights work great and I did not destroy my headlights.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Demon Eyes. Just got an e-mail back from Phastek Performance and they told me the Demon Eyes comes with a switch to shut off the red centers.

Now I'm back to square one. Pay $275 for what is really my second choice, the JDP's, or double that for the amount my first choice the Demon Eyes. Decisions, decisions....what yo do...

Phastek Performance told me they will do the same for the taillights and side markers, but the side markers can take up to two weeks for the matching paint.

Wow, I need to start making some decisions, which headlights, then the afterburner tails and side markers. What about the DRL's, I was thinking of just blackout film?

Love to see some pictures of whatever you decided to do with your lights.

Big shout out to Deke 736 for the great advice and incredible pictures. You want to see it done right.... Check out his Ashen Gray ZL1!!! Top Dog on the block for sure.

Thanks
Thanks Normagene! You already have my opinion, so after getting some good advice here you have some decisions to make! Good luck! I'm sure whichever direction you decide it will look great! I can't wait to see the finished outcome!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Tavo32

Drives: LFX LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
I do not know the install procedure for the demon eyes (bake apart?) But I installed the JDP kit myself and I love it. Lights work great and I did not destroy my headlights.
how hard was it to install the JDPs?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavo32 View Post
how hard was it to install the JDPs?
I'm also curious, the JDP's almost seem essential with a white, black or red camaro!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
The JDP was pretty easy to install. The front bumper has to be removed and you will need a longer T-10 torx bit, but following the directions on the included DVD makes it really easy. It is somewhat time consuming and took approximately 4-5 hours, but it's totally worth it.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
If you decide to get the demon eyes, make them Colorshift 2.0 halos. You'll be able to change them to whatever color and have them on all the time.

I'm on my phone but click on my name and go to statistics and then all threads created by me. Look for the thread that says "kinda pic heavy". That's my retrofit and I added a smaller halo around the projector.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
I like how JDPs halos replacements are a single light instead of multiple LEDs. I know AACs lights are much brighter, but the flow of the single light looks great. AAC is now coming out with a new smaller halo which is not all LEDs it's like the stock halos, or JDP replacement.

I love my JDP lights, I just wish they were a bit brighter at day. You can see them for sure though and there's not much they could do just replacing the 1 stock LED...

I plan on getting demon eyes with my JDP halos. JDP said they may start working on a fog light replacement, which if they do, I will get those and put them in my headlight for demon eyes.

Although I did do the JDP route, I have baked my headlights and opened them to paint the shroud around the light. Man did that suck... thought I broke my headlight multiple times. I'm going to reopen them again once I figure out which demon eye setup I'm going to go with, but if you do open them make sure you get some small clamps to hold the silicon on there and the seals tight overnight or something. I wouldn't pay anyone money to do this to my headlights, it's really not that hard you just have to do what the video says. It took me quite a while to the first headlight apart because I was prying on the wrong part Second one was MUCH easier.

I'd say buy whatever demon eye kit you want and do it yourself. Much more satisfying knowing you did these mods to your car.
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackMan View Post
I like how JDPs halos replacements are a single light instead of multiple LEDs. I know AACs lights are much brighter, but the flow of the single light looks great. AAC is now coming out with a new smaller halo which is not all LEDs it's like the stock halos, or JDP replacement.

I love my JDP lights, I just wish they were a bit brighter at day. You can see them for sure though and there's not much they could do just replacing the 1 stock LED...
As I understood it the JDP halos were brighter than AAC...but that is not correct? The JDP's are brighter than stock though, correct?

Thanks!

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Its not that, The RS halo ring will only let so much light to pass it, i tired with a 3 watt LED, a 10 watt one and a 30 watt and a 50 watt, after 10 watt no more light comes true, the ring is at the max you can get running the one led on top.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Tavo32

Drives: LFX LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Its not that, The RS halo ring will only let so much light to pass it, i tired with a 3 watt LED, a 10 watt one and a 30 watt and a 50 watt, after 10 watt no more light comes true, the ring is at the max you can get running the one led on top.
I was considering your kit as well but it really doesn't say if u have to bake the lights and thats really what I'm trying to avoid. And your kit is cheeper too and looks good but i have some questions lol