Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
SGNL99

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
Steering Rack Bushing

I just received my BMR stage 2 kit and I'm pretty sure the steering rack bushing is bad. Looks like a tear in it. Before I call them, can anyone chime in and tell me if it's supposed to look like this?
Attached Images

CAI Black Intake w/ Apex scoop & ww bottle kit; VMAX throttle body; Borla S-type Cat back exhaust; Skip shift eliminator; Elite Engineering catch can; MGW short throw shifter; Stainless Works LT Headers w/ Hi-Flow cats and one awesome JRE TUNE! BMR stage 2 suspension; 3.91 gears
SGNL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Yes. That is so you can rap it around the shaft. If it don't have a slice in it you couldn't get it on the bar
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
Yes. That is so you can rap it around the shaft. If it don't have a slice in it you couldn't get it on the bar
You can see it in this photo.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
SGNL99

Awesome, thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I'm going to have to call them tomorrow anyway. They sent me 4 rear drop springs (they all are stamped SP021D). Oh well...
CAI Black Intake w/ Apex scoop & ww bottle kit; VMAX throttle body; Borla S-type Cat back exhaust; Skip shift eliminator; Elite Engineering catch can; MGW short throw shifter; Stainless Works LT Headers w/ Hi-Flow cats and one awesome JRE TUNE! BMR stage 2 suspension; 3.91 gears
Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
While were on the topic can someone explain what bushings do?

I was looking at purchasing this same kit actually but wanted to know if worth it on a DD

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom SS View Post
While were on the topic can someone explain what bushings do?

I was looking at purchasing this same kit actually but wanted to know if worth it on a DD
Bushings are basically isolators that are used at joints that allow mechanical movement to take place without transmitting NVH. The problem is that the factory over compensates and uses bushings that are so soft and sloppy that they hinder performance. Many of our customers that are first time bushing buyers are blown away with the improvement. They can be a game changer. Shoot me a PM and tell me a little about your car, how you use it, and what you would like it to do better and I'll recommend a couple to look at.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I'm a newbie to the new bushing and can tell you that chase is right on the $$$
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGNL99 View Post
I just received my BMR stage 2 kit and I'm pretty sure the steering rack bushing is bad. Looks like a tear in it. Before I call them, can anyone chime in and tell me if it's supposed to look like this?
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I'm going to have to call them tomorrow anyway. They sent me 4 rear drop springs (they all are stamped SP021D). Oh well...
That is normal, it allows you to slide the bushing around the steering rack assembly. I wish they would cut them a little cleaner sometimes but you won't have any issues with that bushing.

Sorry about the mix up with the lowering springs, our assembly guys have been working non-stop due to the holidays so I am sure it was just a quick mix up. I will make sure we get this issue taken care of for you today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Bushings are basically isolators that are used at joints that allow mechanical movement to take place without transmitting NVH. The problem is that the factory over compensates and uses bushings that are so soft and sloppy that they hinder performance. Many of our customers that are first time bushing buyers are blown away with the improvement. They can be a game changer. Shoot me a PM and tell me a little about your car, how you use it, and what you would like it to do better and I'll recommend a couple to look at.
I honestly couldn't have explained it any better or more simple.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
SGNL99

Thanks again for your help Kyle! I think the reason it looked damaged was because the cut looked so rough, but glad to hear that's normal.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
I'm a newbie to the new bushing and can tell you that chase is right on the $$$
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post

I honestly couldn't have explained it any better or more simple.
Thanks guys.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
Pedders street 1 kit best bang for the buck
Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
BMR Sales

Quote:
Thanks again for your help Kyle! I think the reason it looked damaged was because the cut looked so rough, but glad to hear that's normal.
No problem, if there is anything we can do to help you out in the future let me know.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Do you recommend installing the rack bushing totally dry or with the white grease?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Do you recommend installing the rack bushing totally dry or with the white grease?
I would just install it dry. The steering racks in the Camaros don't move around in the bushings at all so there is no real need to lube the bushing up.

Kyle