Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
kens

Drives: 2013 Camaro Crystal Red Tint
New Amp to replace factory Boston Acoustics

What amps have you used to replace the original Boston Acoustics amp? I am looking to use the ********er bracket and wiring kit. I need an amp that will fit in the factory location (I need the room for a set of golf clubs). I have found 3 that seem to fit JL Audio XD400/4, Rockford Fosgate Prime R400-4D, Pioneer GM-D9500F. Have you had any problems with noise, radio reception, or thump when the amp turns off?
kens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
glockman513

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Tagged for responses . . .I'd like to know what others are using as well.
glockman513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
glockman513

I've done a little looking and found these for ideas . . .

Alpine PDX series
PowerBass XAX Mini's or ATM compacts
Old 11-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
The jl audio xd 700/5 will fit

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
I've had the JL XD400/4 with the ******** kit you're going to use for over a year now and it kicks ass. It really wakes up the stock system and it's expandable. If you want to add a sub down the road, it's a real easy upgrade. Adding this amp with the ******** FARK harness makes the stereo sound like it should have from the factory. Those Boston speakers can handle more power than that shitbox stock amp provides.

No problems with doing this mod. No reception problems, noise or anything. I used the FARK kit and followed the directions for it and the amp. The harness is quality plug and play item. As long as you follow the directions and do a clean install the only difference will be your system will WAKE UP!

Last edited by RobertHarriSS; 11-22-2012 at 06:38 AM.
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
I researched the Rockford Fosgate and the JL XD400/4 amps you listed. No one ever said a bad thing about the JL so I spent the extra money on the JL and couldn't be happier. Due to the high level inputs from the factory head unit and no line out converter you need to keep the input level/gains low on the JL. I have a very slight 'click' when the amp shuts off that I just noticed. It by no means is a pop. It is a very faint 'click'. I ended up replacing my front door speakers with Alpine 6.5" coaxials. I also took the upper boston tweeters apart and placed a single layer of paper towel over it and put it back together. Those have a horrible tone to them with the extra power. The paper towel is perfect. (I think I am going to try some thin landscaping underlayment since it is plastic and won't absorb water). I have a separate sub amp and 12" sub. Now I am looking to replace the rear 6x9's. While the new amp helps the factory speakers greatly, replacing them with a good set will really show you how clean the JL amp really is.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
kens

Drives: 2013 Camaro Crystal Red Tint
bump
kens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
glockman513

I just came across these. They look like they put out more rms wattage than any of the other's I have found.

I have polk audio 6.9's that have a rms rating of 125 and 4ohms, and so far, this comes the closest in rms.

https://www.massiveaudio.com/product...tal-amplifier/
Old 12-09-2012, 04:02 AM   #9
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
I researched the Rockford Fosgate and the JL XD400/4 amps you listed. No one ever said a bad thing about the JL so I spent the extra money on the JL and couldn't be happier. Due to the high level inputs from the factory head unit and no line out converter you need to keep the input level/gains low on the JL. I have a very slight 'click' when the amp shuts off that I just noticed. It by no means is a pop. It is a very faint 'click'. I ended up replacing my front door speakers with Alpine 6.5" coaxials. I also took the upper boston tweeters apart and placed a single layer of paper towel over it and put it back together. Those have a horrible tone to them with the extra power. The paper towel is perfect. (I think I am going to try some thin landscaping underlayment since it is plastic and won't absorb water). I have a separate sub amp and 12" sub. Now I am looking to replace the rear 6x9's. While the new amp helps the factory speakers greatly, replacing them with a good set will really show you how clean the JL amp really is.
Why did you get coaxials for the front instead of component? If you are still using the stock tweeters with a lot more power and no crossover, you are probably overpowering them as well as sending a full range signal and that will make them sound terrible. Tweeters need upgraded too if not done already.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #10
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
The PDX amps mentioned by glockman are very good amps. I have a mono 1000W and a 4 way 600W I've had for 6 years and they work great. I also have a second 1000W I got about 4 years ago.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Shu71

CWI, I think the stock tweeters sound just fine hooked up with the Alpine coaxial door speakers. It's really no different that the way the factory had the tweeters hooked up. I thought about going component and may eventually but I felt the front was missing some highs so I went this route. Just replaced the rear speakers and finally this sounds like it should. Those stock rear 6x9s are so dang flat sounding even with the JL Audio XD400/4 amp.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Sorry for the hijack. I don't think I need/want a sub right now and I'm not really interested in swamping speakers, so would getting a JL XD and FARK really improve the sound enought to make it worth the investment? That is what I have been considering - and I also want to place it in the stock location like the OP.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Shu71

$350 for the JL Audio XD400/4 amp
$115 for the FARK kit
$50 for RCA cables and the power and ground cables for the amp
So over $500 and you still have the stock speakers. I do not think it is worth it if you don't go all the way and replace the speakers at least.
Shu71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
Sorry for the hijack. I don't think I need/want a sub right now and I'm not really interested in swamping speakers, so would getting a JL XD and FARK really improve the sound enought to make it worth the investment? That is what I have been considering - and I also want to place it in the stock location like the OP.
That is my upgrade plan. There are many members who just replaced the amp and have been impressed with the improvement. It's the recommended first upgrade step with the front speakers next. If you used the JL audio xd500 5 channel amp, it would allow you to add a sub later without having to add a second amp.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote