Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #197
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
So I could put SS badges on it.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #198
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrocJack View Post
So I could put SS badges on it.
^^^^^^^^^
Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #199
TexasCamaro5
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Reasons why I went for the V6 over the V8:

- Has an acceptable amount of hp with better fuel economy than any muscle car before it.
- Cheaper monthly payments for financing.
- As far as insurance goes I consider mine on a monthly basis to be good for the amount of coverage I need for my vehicle, ~$117 with GEICO right now, and with GEICO when I added my Camaro to my policy, there was no differentiation between LT and SS, just called a 2010 Camaro Coupe, so for me insurance was not a factor.
- Overall with some performance upgrades, the car looks great and is a lot of fun to drive and since it is ligher than the SS it does handle well for autocrossing; Drag races are fun but not as much fun as hugging those curves and going in for the win .
- And as far as upgrades go, I see potential to make this V6 do things the V8 flounders to do and I like a challenge :smile:.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #200
Jajru

Drives: a pretty darn good vehicle
Wanted the V8 then i looked at my wallet and saw a moth fly out

Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #201
TexasCamaro5
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
I find it interesting (or just idiosomatic) that some SS guys end up asking us V6 guys why we didn't get an SS after all the upgrades we do or will eventually do. So first of all, it's a V6 not a V8 which means it should be running in a category against other V6's anyways so why not bring out the potential of the V6 camaro and have fun with it. And come spring of next year there's going to be a new bad boy V8 on the block and everyone's going to be asking you SS guys the same question except it will be "Why did you get an SS and not a ZL1?". So why not enjoy what we have and do what we want with what we have and not rag on those that didn't get the higher priced car cause in the end there is always going to be something more powerful and better down the line. I'm in my mid-20's so I'm going to enjoy be able to mod and maintain my car as well as not be worried about whether I can keep it or not after having a family later down the road. When I hit my 40's or 50's and feel like having one last sprint, then I will probably hold out for the highest performance Camaro (if Chevy doesn't drive its design into the ground like they did before). On a side note, if they've been able to increase both fuel economy and horsepower and torque then I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to continue to do that for future generations, although with much more stringent fuel economy standards and the smaller alpha platform I do worry that they will end up reducing engine output for higher fuel economy.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #202
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCamaro5 View Post
Reasons why I went for the V6 over the V8:

- Has an acceptable amount of hp with better fuel economy than any muscle car before it.
- Cheaper monthly payments for financing.
- As far as insurance goes I consider mine on a monthly basis to be good for the amount of coverage I need for my vehicle, ~$117 with GEICO right now, and with GEICO when I added my Camaro to my policy, there was no differentiation between LT and SS, just called a 2010 Camaro Coupe, so for me insurance was not a factor.
- Overall with some performance upgrades, the car looks great and is a lot of fun to drive and since it is ligher than the SS it does handle well for autocrossing; Drag races are fun but not as much fun as hugging those curves and going in for the win .
- And as far as upgrades go, I see potential to make this V6 do things the V8 flounders to do and I like a challenge :smile:.

A V6 Camaro isn't a muscle car it's a pony car, the V8 versions of the Challenger, Mustang and Camaro are muscle cars. Though I agree that it is stupid that the us whom chose the SS trim keep asking this question.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #203
yellowlightning2009

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
money insurance and gas
Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #204
'11CamaroLS

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
with me it wasnt so much the gas mileage or insurance. i knew i wanted to buy new not used and i didnt wanna have to save up a whole lot. The longer i would have to save the more something would come up and postpone me getting a camaro even more.
And it wasnt exactly the easiest thing convinsing my wife to let me trade a 2 year old car with 4 doors and pleny of room for our 2 kids. so when she said yes it was a matter of days and i was in my camaro. got it before she could think twice
i would love a SS but i do love my v6 alot
Old 04-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #205
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
A V6 Camaro isn't a muscle car it's a pony car, the V8 versions of the Challenger, Mustang and Camaro are muscle cars. Though I agree that it is stupid that the us whom chose the SS trim keep asking this question.
Pony Car definition:

"Pony car is an American class of automobile launched and inspired by the Ford Mustang in 1964. The term describes an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image. "It was small by Detroit standards, with sporty styling... "

Muscle Car Definition:

"Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high performance automobiles. At its most widely accepted the term refers to American 2-door rear wheel drive mid-size cars of the late 1960s and early 1970s equipped with large, powerful V8s and sold at an affordable price for street use."

Examples:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...finition.shtml

Strict Definition of a Muscle Car:

A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.

Examples: Buick GS, Chevrolete Chevelle SS, Dodge Charger R/T, Ford Torino/Cobra, Plymouth GTX, Plymouth Road Runner, Oldsmobile 442, Pontiac GTO

Fullsize Muscle Car:

The strict definition only includes intermediate size vehicles. In reality, performance oriented intermediate size vehicles didn't appear until 1964. Before then, manufacturers took existing fullsize vehicles and added extra performance to them. Because of this, the early fullsize performance vehicles are generally considered muscle cars.

Examples: Chevrolet Impala (SS only), Ford Galaxie (with 390 + cid engines only), Dodge Coronet (R/Ts only), etc.

Pony Cars and Compact Cars:

In addition to fullsize and intermediate muscle cars, a number of smaller vehicles started appearing on the automotive performance scene. These new "pony cars" and compact cars are generally considered muscle cars only if they have the top of the line performance engines and options.

Examples: Chevrolet Camaro (SS and Z28 models only), Ford Mustang (GTs and Boss only), Plymouth 'Cudas (no Barracudas), AMC Javelin, etc.

So based on this explanation my 65 Mustang GT Fastback was considered a Muscle Car even though it only put out 300 HP.

Also based on this explantion of a Muscle car the 2010/2011 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS putting out 312 hp would be considered a Muscle car by the standards put forth by the Musclecarclub.com considering my 65 Mustang GT Fastback was also considered a Muscle car.

Everything aside the V6 Camaro can be considered a lower level Muscle car when compared to its bigger brother the SS. But that is my research and my interpretation.

To answer you question I chose the V6 as I already have a Muscle car at home, and don't want another car that gets 14mpg to drive around everyday.

Peace out
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #206
golfprobeezer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
I chose the 1LT/RS because of fuel economy. It is my daily driver and always will be. At $4.00 per gallon I cant afford the gas for a V8. Along with that, I couldnt afford the SS (even though I want that in the worst way). Insurance for me was the same for a V6 or V8. Moral of the story is "take what you can get/afford, and be happy with it". Im extremely happy with my decision
Old 04-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #207
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
Pony Car definition:

"Pony car is an American class of automobile launched and inspired by the Ford Mustang in 1964. The term describes an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image. "It was small by Detroit standards, with sporty styling... "

Muscle Car Definition:

"Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high performance automobiles. At its most widely accepted the term refers to American 2-door rear wheel drive mid-size cars of the late 1960s and early 1970s equipped with large, powerful V8s and sold at an affordable price for street use."

Examples:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...finition.shtml

Strict Definition of a Muscle Car:

A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.

Examples: Buick GS, Chevrolete Chevelle SS, Dodge Charger R/T, Ford Torino/Cobra, Plymouth GTX, Plymouth Road Runner, Oldsmobile 442, Pontiac GTO

Fullsize Muscle Car:

The strict definition only includes intermediate size vehicles. In reality, performance oriented intermediate size vehicles didn't appear until 1964. Before then, manufacturers took existing fullsize vehicles and added extra performance to them. Because of this, the early fullsize performance vehicles are generally considered muscle cars.

Examples: Chevrolet Impala (SS only), Ford Galaxie (with 390 + cid engines only), Dodge Coronet (R/Ts only), etc.

Pony Cars and Compact Cars:

In addition to fullsize and intermediate muscle cars, a number of smaller vehicles started appearing on the automotive performance scene. These new "pony cars" and compact cars are generally considered muscle cars only if they have the top of the line performance engines and options.

Examples: Chevrolet Camaro (SS and Z28 models only), Ford Mustang (GTs and Boss only), Plymouth 'Cudas (no Barracudas), AMC Javelin, etc.

So based on this explanation my 65 Mustang GT Fastback was considered a Muscle Car even though it only put out 300 HP.

Also based on this explantion of a Muscle car the 2010/2011 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS putting out 312 hp would be considered a Muscle car by the standards put forth by the Musclecarclub.com considering my 65 Mustang GT Fastback was also considered a Muscle car.

Everything aside the V6 Camaro can be considered a lower level Muscle car when compared to its bigger brother the SS. But that is my research and my interpretation.

To answer you question I chose the V6 as I already have a Muscle car at home, and don't want another car that gets 14mpg to drive around everyday.

Peace out
If all you require for a muscle car is a engine that makes 300 + HP then you can consider the Nissan GT-R a muscle car, but it's not, and there are two main reasons for this. It is a V6 engine and AWD oh and Japanese. So I guess three reasons. Also the next generation of Camaro could have a 375 HP V6, just because it is 25 HP less than the current Automatic SS doesn't make it a muscle car. It is still missing the main piece of the puzzle, 2 more cylinders. I agree with you at all with the not needing another gas guzzler but the V6 is not considered, by at least 80%+ people.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #208
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
You can't reason with the narrow minded. Not enough room for thought.
Not naming any names but if the shoe fits.......
Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #209
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
So by definition the ZL1 knocks the SS back down to "Pony" status...
"These new "pony cars" and compact cars are generally considered muscle cars only if they have the top of the line performance engines and options."
I guess the debate rages on.....lol.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #210
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
With the cost of a gallon going up every day, we'll soon separate the "do I really want to buy another tank of liquid gold just to be big" from the "I'm glad I've got a Camaro I can still afford to drive" crowd. At least it's American and rear-wheel drive.

Closed Thread