Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #85
rykeith

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT M6
Taking it to the shop tomorrow. I will post picutres of the repair once it's done. I hope black isn't difficult to match...
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #86
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
It will be as good as new before you know it.

Honestly, this is one of the reasons I have held off owning a Camaro. All of these threads on people having a car keyed/egged/rocked make me ill. I mean, I drive an M5 BMW and NOBODY touches it (knock wood) Here is the Camaro that fully loaded in a 2SS/RS comes close to half of the sticker on an M5 and it is getting vandalized all the time. I don't understand the hatred of the Camaro at all.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #87
sunshn
Mack

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Imperial Blu/Silver
I got keyed about three weeks ago, too. On the front of the car by the hood. $900 to fix it. Thankfully, my insurance covered it. I'm in law enforcement and the guys I work with laugh at me because I always want to throw people who key cars in jail and throw away the key!! There are few things that piss me off more than someone keying a car!!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #88
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJinni View Post
On a positive note, at least its only keyed on the driver side door (from what I could tell from the pictures). If they had keyed every panel it would've been much worse.

Heres the logic that really went through this guys head, "Why the hell does THIS GUY have a really nice car and I don't?! This nice car is ruining my day! Now I'm going to ruin this car because it ruined my day! That'll show the owner, who totally ruined my life by making me drop out of 10th grade! If I can't afford a nice car from my minimum wage job, then he shouldn't have a nice car either!"
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #89
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Any chance there might be a video survielence camara around the area that could have picked it up? Might be late cause they only keep data for a few days at most.
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #90
Archonlord

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT
Sorry you got keyed, I feel your pain, some jerk jumped on my hood last week with rocks on his shoes insurance says 1500$ to repair mine
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #91
rykeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaron View Post
Any chance there might be a video survielence camara around the area that could have picked it up? Might be late cause they only keep data for a few days at most.
No cameras on any buildings nearby. I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archonlord View Post
Sorry you got keyed, I feel your pain, some jerk jumped on my hood last week with rocks on his shoes insurance says 1500$ to repair mine
Wow. That's terrible. Know who did it?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #92
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
This thread just depresses me. People sure can be awful to each other :(

Tib
Tiberious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #93
rykeith

So I dropped my car off today at the body shop (Lane and Kenny Body Shop in Columbus, Ohio). I'm a little concerned becuase the guy told me that while he would be able to match the paint initially, it was a good possibility that the paint would (for lack of better word) fade due to some chemicals evaporating in the paint over 2-3 weeks. He said it wouldn't be a big deal and if that occurred to bring it back and he would buff it (I assume he means polish) to remove the dullness. ANybody know anything about this? Junkman? Anyone?

This shop has got me a litle nervous as well becuase the guy had to put out his cigarette in the store to talk to me. God, I think I should have just tried repainting the door myself...
Old 05-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #94
yellowlightning2009

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
ouch cant stand jelous people. ya a blsck 2rs/ss got keyed here just before winter its was horrible top sides hood and trunk they had get whole car resprayed
yellowlightning2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #95
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rykeith View Post
So I dropped my car off today at the body shop (Lane and Kenny Body Shop in Columbus, Ohio). I'm a little concerned becuase the guy told me that while he would be able to match the paint initially, it was a good possibility that the paint would (for lack of better word) fade due to some chemicals evaporating in the paint over 2-3 weeks. He said it wouldn't be a big deal and if that occurred to bring it back and he would buff it (I assume he means polish) to remove the dullness. ANybody know anything about this? Junkman? Anyone?

This shop has got me a litle nervous as well becuase the guy had to put out his cigarette in the store to talk to me. God, I think I should have just tried repainting the door myself...
Is this a place that your insurance company regularly works with?

Unfortunately, metallic black/dark gray is a hard color to match...to be honest I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the pics, but it looks like a dark metallic color. The shop overcomes this by a) matching the paint color and metal flake as much as possible, and b) blending into other panels on the same plane so that the light refracts similarly until a shadow or angle hides the difference. So, on a door, they'd blend into the front fender, and depending how long the scratch was on the door, maybe even into the rear quarter a little bit.

If you don't feel that the shop is reputable, just say no. You shouldn't have to bring the car back once it's done.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #96
rykeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
Is this a place that your insurance company regularly works with?

Unfortunately, metallic black/dark gray is a hard color to match...to be honest I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the pics, but it looks like a dark metallic color. The shop overcomes this by a) matching the paint color and metal flake as much as possible, and b) blending into other panels on the same plane so that the light refracts similarly until a shadow or angle hides the difference. So, on a door, they'd blend into the front fender, and depending how long the scratch was on the door, maybe even into the rear quarter a little bit.

If you don't feel that the shop is reputable, just say no. You shouldn't have to bring the car back once it's done.
The insurance company does work with these people. They say I could take it anywhere to get it repainted, but if I went to this shop (or a handful of other shops on their list), they guaranteed the work for the life of the car.

The color is black (oem color) and has no metal flake that I can see, it's a gloss finish. The guy acted like they would just be working on that panel (driver's door).

All the reviews I read online were very favorable, so I'm a little confused as to why I was so unimpressed. Maybe the shop made them up themselves? Who knows... guess I'll see what it looks like when it's done. Although if the paint could "change later" and I accept the car initially, I could imagine them coming back and saying that I accepted the car, why do I have an issue with it now. Maybe I'll take my camera...
Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #97
ScoobyDoo

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I had a car get keyed,... and Im smiling about the situation even as I write this, but I caught the person in the act and it was glorious
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #98
rykeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
I had a car get keyed,... and Im smiling about the situation even as I write this, but I caught the person in the act and it was glorious
I would have destroyed them. :slice: