Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Main

Drives: 10 Camaro 2LT, 10 SRX FWD
I think the issue is AAC vs MP3.

Note that AAC is NOT necessarily DRM'ed, but if the radio can't decode it, then they won't play. This really stinks for me, I think that 90% of my iTunes collection is in AAC. I ripped all my music to it since it offers superior quality over MP3.

This could be fixed with firmware. I REALLY hope that they do.

More info on AAC - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

This could be easily tested. Copy some AAC to a flash drive and give it a try. I will have my car in a few weeks, and I will be testing this right away.
Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #16
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Main View Post
I think the issue is AAC vs MP3.

Note that AAC is NOT necessarily DRM'ed, but if the radio can't decode it, then they won't play. This really stinks for me, I think that 90% of my iTunes collection is in AAC. I ripped all my music to it since it offers superior quality over MP3.

This could be fixed with firmware. I REALLY hope that they do.

More info on AAC - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

This could be easily tested. Copy some AAC to a flash drive and give it a try. I will have my car in a few weeks, and I will be testing this right away.
With a good encoder, MP3 is about as good as it gets unless you step up to a lossless codec. Yea, AAC may be a bit more versatile but MP3 is going to be just as good, if not better because of the increased encoder/decoder support, than AAC in practice. If you really think you can hear the difference you shouldn't be using a lossy codec anyways.

AAC is not supported. I HIGHLY doubt that it will ever be supported. There just isn't the demand. Pretty much the only people that use AAC is Apple and the only reason you should use iTunes is if you have an iPod and if you've got an iPod you should use that in your car which will enable the car to play the AAC files through the iPod.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #17
cossie1msu

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Diddo, I am realizing the same issue...the car won't decode only some files that are AAC....

Go in iTunes and on the right most blank column right click and select "kind" and you will be able to see which files are AAC...

Anyone know of a patch for our cars to fix this issue? Or has anyone said anything to GM?

Last edited by cossie1msu; 09-27-2009 at 09:56 PM.
cossie1msu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #18
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1msu View Post
Diddo, I am realizing the same issue...the car won't decode only some files that are AAC....

Go in iTunes and on the right most blank column right click and select "kind" and you will be able to see which files are AAC...

Anyone know of a patch for our cars to fix this issue? Or has anyone said anything to GM?
The car will not play ANY files that are AAC. (unless using an iPod).

There is no patch and there will likely never be a patch. I'm not sure how to "say anything to GM" other than to post it on this forum (there are some employees who read this). The PDIM has lots of software issues and considering that they can't even do something as simple as storing the last playlist you were listening to I highly doubt that they will add support for another codec.

And to be honest, I'm generalizing but the only people that use AAC are iTunes users and the only people that use iTunes have iPods. So most people that have AAC tracks will not have this issue as they'll just plug in their iPod. Obviously this isn't always the case but I'm sure GM sees this as enough of a reason to not add support for AAC. And like I said, they've got lots of other, simpler problems that should be fixed before adding support for another codec.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #19
DRL

Drives: 2SS Camaro
From my experience I've learned that AAC files will play from my iPhone but not my iPod.
Coverting an ACC file to MP3 will do the trick.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #20
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
From my experience I've learned that AAC files will play from my iPhone but not my iPod.
Coverting an ACC file to MP3 will do the trick.
I'm guessing that you have an older iPod. Does it also say "indexing" when you plug it in? Only the most recent iPods are fully supported.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #21
DRL

Drives: 2SS Camaro
oh ya, it's an old one, 2004 to be exact.
Hopefully Santa will bring me a new gen iPod for Christmas