Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
a quick ? for anyone with a turbo

If you have a trubo Iwas curious to know what you #'s like. I am also curious to know if you get better fuel economy or not? Ive heard most people get better fuel economy and power out of turbos just wanted to know if its true with these cars?
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
you don't turbo a car to get better mileage than stock. But you can get V8 power with V6 mileage.
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
madmaxx18

I know that but was just curious if they get better gas or not.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
They do up your mpg if you drive like a normal person. As soon as you get on the throttle the mpgs dip, but according to several sources, people with turbo'd vettes get like 35-40 mpg when they aren't showing off/racing.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx18 View Post
If you have a trubo Iwas curious to know what you #'s like. I am also curious to know if you get better fuel economy or not? Ive heard most people get better fuel economy and power out of turbos just wanted to know if its true with these cars?
You can get better fuel economy out of a low-boost turbo while improving power. But if you're looking to save money on gas, remember that turbo kits are not free, and that money spent can buy a lot of extra gas.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
LPFSTheFett

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
They do up your mpg if you drive like a normal person. As soon as you get on the throttle the mpgs dip, but according to several sources, people with turbo'd vettes get like 35-40 mpg when they aren't showing off/racing.
My TT C6Z showed me getting that MPG, but that's because we tricked the computer to make the injectors/maf work right.

I guess I kind of find it hard to believe putting a restriction in the exhaust and intake tubes will increase gas milage by such a high amount. I can see losing gas milage before gaining, but I certainly can't see how someone would truely get 10+ mpg better with a turbo on their car. You'd think they'd throw them on the Prius then.

But who knows. Maybe we should put it on Mythbusters. Does adding a Turbo to an otherwise stock car, improve gas milage?
LPFSTheFett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Well driving a C6 on my birthday last September, I averaged 31 mpg in a vette that's rated at 26 on the highway. That's including a few fun spurts. Io if there's a 4mpg gain by driving a turbo normally, then that's 9 right there.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
madmaxx18

I never said I was buying a turbo just to save gas. I brought it up cause some pople say you don't get better gas mileage. My buddy has one on his caliber now and gets 7 more he says. I care more about the power gain than gas just thought that if it did get better gas its a plus so that why I asked. I still plan to buy one later even if I only get 10 miles to the gallon.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Well driving a C6 on my birthday last September, I averaged 31 mpg in a vette that's rated at 26 on the highway. That's including a few fun spurts. Io if there's a 4mpg gain by driving a turbo normally, then that's 9 right there.
Popular Mechanics just got over 32 on a recent drive. But that was at 55 mph with the criuse control on. Possibly a tail wind.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 08-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
MonkeyMadness

Drives: Non-existent.
I've turbo charged two vehicles, a 2.0 Jetta ('03 model) and a Jeep Wrangler. Neither of them increased fuel economy. I'm hesitant to believe anyone that claims to get increased fuel economy. The only way to benefit from adding more air is to also add more fuel. Even if you shift before full boost the ECM still adds more fuel to keep you from running lean. A four banger with a turbo that puts out as much power as a V6 gets about the same gas mileage. I may be wrong, but experience and simple logic tell me that forced induction does not increase fuel economy.
MonkeyMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPFSTheFett View Post
My TT C6Z showed me getting that MPG, but that's because we tricked the computer to make the injectors/maf work right.

I guess I kind of find it hard to believe putting a restriction in the exhaust and intake tubes will increase gas milage by such a high amount. I can see losing gas milage before gaining, but I certainly can't see how someone would truely get 10+ mpg better with a turbo on their car. You'd think they'd throw them on the Prius then.

But who knows. Maybe we should put it on Mythbusters. Does adding a Turbo to an otherwise stock car, improve gas milage?
It goes back to the Law of Conservation of Energy. An engine puts some of its power into moving your car and some of its power into just making exhaust gasses hot and blowing them out. The power that goes into the exhaust like that is a complete waste. What a turbo does is take some of that power in the exhaust and then feed the power back into the engine so some of it can be recaptured. It makes the overall process more efficient.

When you turbocharge or supercharge an engine, you're doing more than just packing more oxygen into the cylinders and letting yourself burn more fuel. You're also packing in inert gasses like nitrogen that will help you turn the heat of burning gasoline into the physical push of expanding gasses. The denser air is before it's heated (whether it's dense because it's cold or because you compressed it), the more efficiently you can get a physical push out of it by heating it up with burning gasoline.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMadness View Post
I've turbo charged two vehicles, a 2.0 Jetta ('03 model) and a Jeep Wrangler. Neither of them increased fuel economy. I'm hesitant to believe anyone that claims to get increased fuel economy. The only way to benefit from adding more air is to also add more fuel. Even if you shift before full boost the ECM still adds more fuel to keep you from running lean. A four banger with a turbo that puts out as much power as a V6 gets about the same gas mileage. I may be wrong, but experience and simple logic tell me that forced induction does not increase fuel economy.
It depends on if you are using the power or not. If you are running wide open, it hardly matters how you get the power it will burn the same amount of fuel. But it gets a lot more complicated than that at partial throttle. After you turbo charged your cars, did you drive the exact same way or did you 'play' more since you had more power?

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 08-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #13
MonkeyMadness

Drives: Non-existent.
The Jeep is still just a toy and only sees off road use so MPG is and has always been garbage. The Jetta was my daily driver for two years, ten months of which were with the turbo. I drove it every way you can, hard, gentle, and in between. I never saw an increase in economy. At WOT I knew there was no way in hell it would improve but I was a little disappointed when I saw no improvement (versus stock) with old lady throttle. Full boost (small turbo scavenged from a 1.8t) was acheived at 1800-2000 RPM. The best MPG I got out of it was 27 when I would shift around 1500. I would still have the car were it not for a moose stepping into the road.
MonkeyMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
if you want better gas mileage dont buy a turbo. youll be in the throttle all the time.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote