Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #57
blake2010ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Send a message via AIM to blake2010ss Send a message via MSN to blake2010ss
I plan to get a mantic when i boost mine. im estimating 650-700whp so im thinking it should more than hold up.

416, AGP 6262, E85, Cam
blake2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #58
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
I run 345 ET streets full time. Maybe it is because my car weighs 3200lbs. Still the first I've heard failing. Did it just start slipping or what?
I just swapped in the 427 in Nov and when the engine was out my mechanic checked the clutch. The mantic was my 3rd clutch and to that point I had no indication of any problems. He told me it was already warped a little and showed a lot of wear. I said leave it and I'll run it until I have a problem. Worked fine for daily driving then when I got to the strip it was fine for a couple of passes. The ZL1 has the "no lift shift" where it holds rpms and boost pressure if you depress the clutch pedal when the throttle is floored. My first indication was I could not shift the car if I didn't back out of the throttle. This is always the first indication I have on the ZL1. Next when you try to put the car in reverse it feels like it won't go but if you continue to push very hard on the lever with the clutch pedal all the way on the floor, the car will actually roll back a little then pop into gear. Next, it studders off of the line at the drag strip, makes like 3 distinct lunges on the video, then when you drive on the highway it grinds the gears like you are trying to shift without a clutch. It is funny because if you drive it normal it will work fine from the stop sign in first gear even though it is totally shot.
Attached Images

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #59
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
It's definitely seen a lot of slippage/heat.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #60
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
All those sound like hydraulic issues though. Did you try a new master/slave/etc?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #61
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
All those sound like hydraulic issues though. Did you try a new master/slave/etc?
No, It is interesting that you say that because I have never liked the fact that this ZL1 or any stock gen5 for that matter shares clutch fluid with the brake system. When I'm road racing the calipers get so hot that the lettering painted on them is all baked brown. I know the fluid is taking some extreme heat and the GM clutches tend to transfer more solids into the brake fluid. I didn't seem to have problems with the mantic clouding the fluid. I still have not owned the car a full year and have flushed the brake/clutch fluid 3 times. I had the same kind of experiences with all the clutches in this car. I've tried to bleed the clutch when I get the first symptoms but it doesn't help, there is never any air in the line.

After I wrote that other post I'm thinking the no lift shifting is probably very hard on the clutch because the engine is at maximum power when the clutch gets the slip. I always use no lift shift with every type of racing I do.... The road course I do has four no lift shifts from 3rd gear to 4th every lap. I always no lift every shift at the drag strip. At least at the road racing venue, unless I'm trying for a record lap, maybe I should let go of the gas when I shift and maybe save the clutch a little.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #62
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
No, It is interesting that you say that because I have never liked the fact that this ZL1 or any stock gen5 for that matter shares clutch fluid with the brake system. When I'm road racing the calipers get so hot that the lettering painted on them is all baked brown. I know the fluid is taking some extreme heat and the GM clutches tend to transfer more solids into the brake fluid. I didn't seem to have problems with the mantic clouding the fluid. I still have not owned the car a full year and have flushed the brake/clutch fluid 3 times. I had the same kind of experiences with all the clutches in this car. I've tried to bleed the clutch when I get the first symptoms but it doesn't help, there is never any air in the line.

After I wrote that other post I'm thinking the no lift shifting is probably very hard on the clutch because the engine is at maximum power when the clutch gets the slip. I always use no lift shift with every type of racing I do.... The road course I do has four no lift shifts from 3rd gear to 4th every lap. I always no lift every shift at the drag strip. At least at the road racing venue, unless I'm trying for a record lap, maybe I should let go of the gas when I shift and maybe save the clutch a little.
I don't think any clutch will survive the abuse you're putting it through

I actually feel a lot more confident in my Mantic knowing all the abuse you've given it!
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #63
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Had mine installed a day ago. Drove it all day today and it really impresses me so far. No verdict on what matters yet because I'll put it through its paces after break in but drives and shifts great.

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:11 AM   #64
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post

If you have so few shifts, then there really isnt any point in no lift. All it's doing is hurting things for next to no gain.

Although it will of course depend on how well setup the no lift is. If power is re-engaged too soon, ie before the clutch has fully re-engaged then it would be very hard on the clutch.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #65
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad1le View Post
Steve, I recently put a tvs2300 on my 2013. I have a feeling a Monster is in my future.
There are much better brands out there, buy it right the first time.

2012 L99, whipple, Roto-Fab, Stainless Power headers, ZL1 fuel pump, cat delete.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #66
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
If you have so few shifts, then there really isnt any point in no lift. All it's doing is hurting things for next to no gain.

Although it will of course depend on how well setup the no lift is. If power is re-engaged too soon, ie before the clutch has fully re-engaged then it would be very hard on the clutch.
Based on the times when I cannot no lift, I gain at least 3-5 tenths in the 1/4 mile when I no lift. That is a huge difference when the entire event takes 10 seconds. I guess at least a tenth of a second per shift and it kind of makes sense. The road racing isn't that important 1/2 second on a 2 minute lap is nothing, so I just made the decision to quit...lol. Yeah I beat on it pretty good.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #67
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Maybe there is a spacing issue or something because on the Corvette forum the Mantic is the way to go, but I know I've read about and spoke to a few Camaro guys that have had problems with their Mantic.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #68
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPredator View Post
Maybe there is a spacing issue or something because on the Corvette forum the Mantic is the way to go, but I know I've read about and spoke to a few Camaro guys that have had problems with their Mantic.
The Mantic lasted about three or four times longer than the ZR1 Corvette clutch I tried before it, I suspect the extra 1000 pounds I have on all the vettes is the difference. Plus I've increased my power twice since I had the ZR1 clutch. I was only making 757 whp on the ZR1 clutch....

Old 02-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #69
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
My zr1 clutch was having issues are 830rwhp. Mantic has been fine.

Maybe the camaro weight/gearing/etc is more stressful or it is just hydraulic issues. That being said the corvettes have junk hydraulics too.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #70
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
I know the Zr1 clutch on the camaro required a spacer and when I was only making 600hp mine would stick to the floor whenever you floored it 3rd gear or higher. Did the silly return spring and ofcourse it didn't stick to the floor but if I ran it back to back it would grind the 3-4 shift. Then it ate slave cylinders about every 5-7k miles. All I can is I'm glad that junk is gone and I absolutely love my street slayer triple.