Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 12-27-2009, 04:51 AM   #1
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
So i'm 20 years old..Some help and some q's

1-Lowest you have seen a SS/RS Camaro go for?

2-What do you think my deal would prob be?.

Im looking to save up money this yea to potentially have enough for a down payment and 3-5 months of PAID fee's. My mom said always to have 3-5 month's of any car payment in the bank in case you loose your job. We did some math and we figured it would prob come out to 500 or so a month. You think I can go lower? I was thinking of

2010 Camaro
transfomers Package
RS package
POTENTIALLY getting the GFX kit unless I can find the same kit outside the dealer for cheaper.

MSRP on the site for this states
$39,055.

Wacha guys think? Im really aiming big but I believe that with enough hard work and dedication I can save the money up since I live at home and go to my local CC until Fall of 2010. So I have some time to rack serious cash.
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
Madcat0911

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
I think you'll do good if you can get it for MSRP. However, if you want that transformer's edition package, you'd need to order soon. Their website says it's only available through december, a post on the forums elsewhere says mid january they stop taking orders for it.

If your math says 500 a month, the only way you'll get lower than 500 or so a month is to have some trade-in or a larger down payment. Any incentives, rebates, and discounts won't drop it by too much to affect that number much.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
Cmaro214

Drives: 2010 ABM 1LT/RS Camaro "Blu Bruzr"
What's your monthly income? Can u afford the payments 3-4 years down the road? I'm 20 as well but have set the limit to a 1lt/rs. Also factor in insurance, gas, maintence. A big down payment will help but depending on credit history will determine the loan. If you feel you could comfortably pay for this car over the next few years then go for it. Btw I thought the transformers edition was being scrapped, so you may not get that at time of ordering

VIN: 2G1FB1EV6A9178865
Cmaro214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
WTF! its getting scrapppppppeeeedd!!???! why? when?.

And I feel that once I get my bartending job set up,no matter where I go really Im bound to walk out with a few hundred a week..I dont really have many other expenses as of now and maybe down the road I will.

I guess more thought will go into this lol..

But seriously, Transformers has a cut off date?
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
streetshark
Bringin' The Pain

Drives: 2031 ZL1 Vert
I ordered mine from Gross Motors in Wisconsin, third week of November, 2SSRS M6 with sunroof and Transformer package for $34,900.00. When I checked the status before Christmas I was told I had just been under the wire for ordering the Transformer package. If this means they will not take orders after the first week of Jan or they will not build any more after that was not made clear to me. Hopefully someone will have a better answer for you.
streetshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
WTF! its getting scrapppppppeeeedd!!???! why? when?.

And I feel that once I get my bartending job set up,no matter where I go really Im bound to walk out with a few hundred a week..I dont really have many other expenses as of now and maybe down the road I will.

I guess more thought will go into this lol..

But seriously, Transformers has a cut off date?
The order cut off date has already passed, that ended at the first of the month. Once they finished building the ones on order, no more will be built so if you want one, you will have to buy it off the lot and these won't last but maybe a month. The closest thing you will be able to get afterwards is yellow with black stripes if you want new, otherwise you will have to buy used.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
My son will be 20 this summer, he also attends college and has a part-time job...makes tips and such like you and gets about $200 a weekend and then about $250 or so every 2 weeks...he is wanting a new car as well...there is no way he could even begin to afford a Camaro SS! NONE! ZERO! ZILCH!!

I'm not being mean, I'm not trying to tell you no but reality says once you are no longer in your parents home and out on your own, you can expect to spend upwards of $1,500 a month in living expenses alone! Rent, utilities, cell phone, insurance, food, clothes, out and about money (and it would be very, very little), etc. ...and this isn't living very well...this is the minimum you'll need!

Now figure in a car note of $500 plus a month...gas for a car that gets roughly 20 mpg and that's if you keep your foot out of it...insurance for a 20 year old not on your parents policy will run you hundreds a month...so now add all that into your living expenses...unless you are making $36K a year or more...I don't see how you can afford it? ...and even then, you'll not be doing much else!

I am going to help my son get his newer car (he has a 99 right now and meets his basic needs)...he'll get his own loan and I'll co-sign...but it will be for abot $10K tops...he has $2K to put down and his monthly payments will be about $200 a month...he can make that payment. Even staying in school and keeping his part-time job.

I guess my point is...you have the rest of your lilfe to get a Camaro SS...take the time today to set yourself up for success, not for a lifetime of being behind and barely making it!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Madcat0911

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The order cut off date has already passed, that ended at the first of the month. Once they finished building the ones on order, no more will be built so if you want one, you will have to buy it off the lot and these won't last but maybe a month. The closest thing you will be able to get afterwards is yellow with black stripes if you want new, otherwise you will have to buy used.
You sure on this? My dealer put in my order on the 16th. I've got the order number, no TPW yet, but he said it went through.

If that's not the case, that'll blow, I'll have to cancel my order and find a 2SS instead of the 1SS i wanted.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #9
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
... South Florida? Dude, where do you work? And do you go to Miami Dade? It's funny, I have the same exact aspirations as you do. Difference is, I have 20K saved up already and plan on saving 5K more before I order... and that I'm 23, lol. You can totally do it, and if you just prioritize school first and do the car-saving thing on the side, you'll be able to pull it off. I'm starting classes less than two weeks from now at Miami Dade.

As for what you should do, definitely save up the highest down payment you can. I won't be ordering my Camaro until August or so by which time I am PLANNING on having 27-28K; 25k of which I'll use to put down while the rest will be an emergency fund (which will be plenty to cover a ton of car payments since my payments will only be around $245.00 a month). I'm not getting a highly optioned car. I'm just getting a 2SS with RS and plan to add some visual mods.

As for the Transformers package, I really wouldn't care if it was scrapped, dude. Sure, it might be worth a little more in several decades, but unless you're a die hard Transformers fan, do you really want a bunch of Autobot stickers plastered allover your ride? I wouldn't, it's not worth the extra money. The only way a Transformers Package would be justified is if it also included Bumblebee style PAINT.

Put some more thought into it, but also listen to Legend's logic. And trust me when I say he's not the only one who will chime in with similar views, many more will, mostly because they're right - but you can nullify all their logic if you just save, save, save more of a down payment. Your gut is going to try to make you do whatever it takes to get the car, so there's no pressuring you otherwise. I'm not going to bother. But at least try to get the car at a point where you can safely afford it, or else you might just end up LIVING inside your Camaro.

My last suggestion would be to get a more steady job, man. I'm working in a restaurant at the moment (Capri Restaurant), but I'm working in the office - full time, guaranteed pay. I handle the payroll and I can tell you now how bad some of the weeks are for the servers and bartenders. Newbies come in thinking they'll bring home $500.00 a week when that's not often the case, ESPECIALLY newbies. It's a bad economy out there, that goes for tipping as well.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 12-27-2009 at 08:56 AM.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #10
Lava
LSU Tigers!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
My son will be 20 this summer, he also attends college and has a part-time job...makes tips and such like you and gets about $200 a weekend and then about $250 or so every 2 weeks...he is wanting a new car as well...there is no way he could even begin to afford a Camaro SS! NONE! ZERO! ZILCH!!

I'm not being mean, I'm not trying to tell you no but reality says once you are no longer in your parents home and out on your own, you can expect to spend upwards of $1,500 a month in living expenses alone! Rent, utilities, cell phone, insurance, food, clothes, out and about money (and it would be very, very little), etc. ...and this isn't living very well...this is the minimum you'll need!

Now figure in a car note of $500 plus a month...gas for a car that gets roughly 20 mpg and that's if you keep your foot out of it...insurance for a 20 year old not on your parents policy will run you hundreds a month...so now add all that into your living expenses...unless you are making $36K a year or more...I don't see how you can afford it? ...and even then, you'll not be doing much else!

I am going to help my son get his newer car (he has a 99 right now and meets his basic needs)...he'll get his own loan and I'll co-sign...but it will be for abot $10K tops...he has $2K to put down and his monthly payments will be about $200 a month...he can make that payment. Even staying in school and keeping his part-time job.

I guess my point is...you have the rest of your lilfe to get a Camaro SS...take the time today to set yourself up for success, not for a lifetime of being behind and barely making it!

Legend makes some Excellent points. I am 38 and just put down a hunk of change " $11k " and my note still runs $450 a month for total tax and licensing of $40k. The lucky thing for me is insurance is only $500 every 6 months. Getting old has its perks along with a good driving record. I remember being 20, going in to buy my first Mustang GT. I had $3k to put down and my note was going to be $350mo. When I called to check Insurance, the best quote was almost $400mo. needless to say I bought a new truck instead. I had a 84 hatchback mustang in high school and wanted another but glad I waited before upgrading to a GT. Bought my first new sports car at 25. I then had more manageable insurance prices, something about the 25 age mark for Insurers. Why be stuck into payments that will come close to $1k a month (insurance and car note) not counting fuel. And yes your foot will be as the old saying goes "in the carborator" costing you even more in fuel. Start life out on top, not under a bunch of debt. Find a good second hand sports car if thats what you want or buy a V6 model if you just have to have a new Camaro. It's by no means a slouch. You have plenty time to get anything you want in the future by making the right choices now. I did and have enjoyed it tremndously. Have owned plenty sports cars. '65 Mustang fsbk. '69 Mustang fsbk, '70 Mustang coupe, '99 Mustang GT cnvt, '99 BMW 318is, '03 Mustang GT, and now a bad ass 2010 Camaro SS. Keep your head on straight and you'll have plenty of cars in your future. Good luck to you, your asking quetions, thats the first sign of intelligence!
Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava View Post
Legend makes some Excellent points. I am 38 and just put down a hunk of change " $11k " and my note still runs $450 a month for total tax and licensing of $40k. The lucky thing for me is insurance is only $500 every 6 months. Getting old has its perks along with a good driving record. I remember being 20, going in to buy my first Mustang GT. I had $3k to put down and my note was going to be $350mo. When I called to check Insurance, the best quote was almost $400mo. needless to say I bought a new truck instead. I had a 84 hatchback mustang in high school and wanted another but glad I waited before upgrading to a GT. Bought my first new sports car at 25. I then had more manageable insurance prices, something about the 25 age mark for Insurers. Why be stuck into payments that will come close to $1k a month (insurance and car note) not counting fuel. And yes your foot will be as the old saying goes "in the carborator" costing you even more in fuel. Start life out on top, not under a bunch of debt. Find a good second hand sports car if thats what you want or buy a V6 model if you just have to have a new Camaro. It's by no means a slouch. You have plenty time to get anything you want in the future by making the right choices now. I did and have enjoyed it tremndously. Have owned plenty sports cars. '65 Mustang fsbk. '69 Mustang fsbk, '70 Mustang coupe, '99 Mustang GT cnvt, '99 BMW 318is, '03 Mustang GT, and now a bad ass 2010 Camaro SS. Keep your head on straight and you'll have plenty of cars in your future. Good luck to you, your asking quetions, thats the first sign of intelligence!
... from the sounds of it... why the heck aren't you waiting 2011 Mustang? :P
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
Lava
LSU Tigers!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Because They aren't making the right 2011 Mustang. If they made the Giurgiar Mustang design, there would be no question. Tired of the same old milking of each design for as long as they can. I wanted something new and fresh. Head turning material, you know. The only thing different about the 2011 Stang will be an engine that promises 400+ hp. I owe no allegence to any Manufacturer. You make a car I like I will buy it. just so happend I liked the Mustang of those model years. Very happy with my conversion to the Dark Side. I love my new Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
... from the sounds of it... why the heck aren't you waiting 2011 Mustang? :P
Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I got mine for well below invoice (which is well below MSRP). I went to 2 dealers and got them to compete for my business. I ended up with a great deal. It takes a little time and patience, but it saved me a few thousand dollars.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
You will just end up living with your parents until it's paid off which in a sense means you have a nice car and your parent end up paying all the extra living expense bills so you can have the car you want.

Sorry but a kid right out of HS can afford anything close to this totally on his own. Insurance will eat you up and running premium gas too. Hard work and dedication is awsome but just won't be enough here.

IMO Transformer edition is something you will grow out of anyway... or get a used one later.