Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
bombgolf

Drives: 45th Anniv 2SS/RS Convertible
Rough idle Help

My Auto 2SS seems to have a very rough idle. This happens in park and in drive at a stop. Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions?
bombgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
yes, and i have been told it is normal, mine is very rough at first start up
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
bombgolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11fastss View Post
yes, and i have been told it is normal, mine is very rough at first start up
I am assuming that yours stops after warming up? Either way, That doesn't sound very normal...

Mine continues... Even after warm... Doesn't seem normal... Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
jrcbandit

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
My new SS auto also seems to do this. Quite often during start up and sometimes later when it should have already been warmed up.
jrcbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
bombgolf

Any ideas? My '66 Chevelle Conv with the big block and a simple HEI ignition doesn't idle this rough, feels like a miss... I don't have a CEL but can't believe this is "normal"...
Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
bombgolf

To follow up, we took the wife's '12 SS auto vert on a road trip (1200) miles this last week and hers does not idle rough nor does it surge and lunge under normal highway driving, as mine does... Any suggestions?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Unknown SSRS

Drives: 2011 VR SS/RS
did your wife secretly put a cam in there? lol
Unknown SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
bombgolf

LOL...I wish it was a cam... If this were my 66 Chevelle, I would say it's a miss but with all the electronics and computers on the new cars, i am reluctant to muck around with anything...

While I didn't buy the car for fuel efficiency, hers also gets 3-5 mpg more than mine...
Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
Kiwi_Camaro_2010

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombgolf View Post
LOL...I wish it was a cam... If this were my 66 Chevelle, I would say it's a miss but with all the electronics and computers on the new cars, i am reluctant to muck around with anything...

While I didn't buy the car for fuel efficiency, hers also gets 3-5 mpg more than mine...
I'm in the same boat at the moment, just finished new engine build & now have idle issue where it surges or stalls in gear just after engine has warmed up but oil still showing cold, once engine oil warmed up issue virtually disappears. It never use to do this so for me it's not normal. I pulled MAF sensor & sprayed MAF cleaner on it, this has reduced some of it, but after searching forums I'm going to try alot of di-electric grease on leads on spark plug ends, some mechanics say this stuff is a must for these camaro's to have clean idle. If that don't work I'm going searching for very small air leak that must go away on heat expansion.
Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 / L99 / Whipple SC /Dynatech Headers & Catts (gutted), ID 850 injectors, ZL1 fuel pump +BAP & ADM pump controller, ZR1 3Bar MAP, Dual Elite Catch Cans, 91 octane ,Eibach sway bar kit , Driveshaft loop, oil cooler delete, ADM dual gauges (AFR/Boost) LC1 wideband controller, D/D, ARP stud kit ,Callies forged slayer crank 3.622", callies ultra rods, wiseco forged pistons, L99-LS3, rollmaster double row steel timing set & comps cam timing cover,blower cam 630/660 lift,3/8 pushrods, pac gear 8deg, yella terra ultra lites. LS9 head gaskets. Texas speed custom oil pump. Asm by me.
Kiwi_Camaro_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
Bpw72

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible 2ss/rs
I have the same rough idle issue. I have the L99 and assumed this was just the AFM?
Bpw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hello bombgolf,

I would suggest getting your vehicle in to see a dealer for an official diagnosis of this situation. We will then have a better idea if there is a actual issue and also have it documented for future references. If you decided to take it in, I can help set that visit up for you. Let us know, here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
bombgolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpw72 View Post
I have the same rough idle issue. I have the L99 and assumed this was just the AFM?
I had been told by many that it was AFM but the wife's '12 auto SS doesn't have any of these symptoms, nor does hers lunge and surge during normal driving on the freeway....
Old 04-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Is the rough idle new or has it always been this way?

How many miles?

If you put it in park does the rough idle diminish? Does it go away?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
bombgolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Is the rough idle new or has it always been this way?

How many miles?

If you put it in park does the rough idle diminish? Does it go away?
It has probably done it all along but has become more noticeable... The car has about 4500 miles and no, it doesn't go away...

I took it to the dealer today, great service from my dealer by the way... I had a bad O2 sensor (but no CEL) and they think a bad torque converter... Have to take it back next week...