Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
DMan918

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible 6MT
Dyno Tune vs SCT x4

Hi all,

Getting a header, exhaust and eventually gears, so will need to get a tune. The SCT x4 is $450 and includes lifetime tunes, which is great. However, I don't think I am planning on more modifications, and an actual dyno tune here is $400 from a reputable place (and they'll do the gear calibration for free once I do it). Wouldn't it make more sense to go with a dyno tune over a shelf tune then?

Tried to search but my work computer errors out when I try to do so.

Thanks for your input on this.

Mike
DMan918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I said I was done tuning with a throttle body, CAI and headers. Since then I have increased boost, swapped to bigger injectors and run e85 lol. My point is that you might find yourself wanting more power down the road and for only $50 extra you can leave yourself room for improvement and not spend another $400 on the dyno time after time. I’m super glad that I remote tune with JRE because I’ve saved myself over $1000 so far in tuning locally at a shop. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Dyno Steve too.
2014 ZL1 M6: Roto Fab Intake, LS3 TB, Long Tube Headers, NPP, Mild 2 Wild, JMS BAP, SMG aux pump, ID 1050X Injectors, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, 10.5" DSX Lower Pulley, Killer Chiller, Tuned by Ted at JRE, Pedders XA Extreme coilovers, Mickey Thompson Street S/S on Weld S71s
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:01 PM   #3
ImBrokeAF

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Coupe
get yourself the SCT X4 from Steve. You wont regret it. Excellent customer service and his tunes are spot on.
ImBrokeAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Bump. Also interested in this
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
My experience was that an SCT with free updates was fine until I paid for a real dyno tune using HPTuners, the car pulled noticably smoother even though it didn't make much more peak power.

That was back when I just had an intake and headers and it was still worth it. Now I have no choice but I'm ok with that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #6
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
My experience was that an SCT with free updates was fine until I paid for a real dyno tune using HPTuners, the car pulled noticably smoother even though it didn't make much more peak power.

That was back when I just had an intake and headers and it was still worth it. Now I have no choice but I'm ok with that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You're saying with your current mods you have no choice but to dyno tune it?
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #7
larry_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
You're saying with your current mods you have no choice but to dyno tune it?
Current build, yes. There is no way I would put together an engine like this and try to have it tuned remotely. Too many variables plus the bonus of having the person tuning it experiencing everything as it happens, not me trying to describe what it's doing. Remote tuning at this power level may be fine for some people. but not me.

Before this build, I just had the intake and exhaust and it seemed pretty good with an off the shelf tune. Even then it ran better after a proper dyno tune vs the email tunes, and I tried a couple of them.
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #8
DMan918

Quote:
Current build, yes. There is no way I would put together an engine like this and try to have it tuned remotely. Too many variables plus the bonus of having the person tuning it experiencing everything as it happens, not me trying to describe what it's doing. Remote tuning at this power level may be fine for some people. but not me.

Before this build, I just had the intake and exhaust and it seemed pretty good with an off the shelf tune. Even then it ran better after a proper dyno tune vs the email tunes, and I tried a couple of them.
Very impressive mod list! Gotta be a blast to drive.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:14 PM   #9
larry_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan918 View Post
Very impressive mod list! Gotta be a blast to drive.
Thanks, it's stupid fun and I'm already planning the next steps. Fortunately I have a loving wife that understands my addiction.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #10
DMan918

Quote:
Thanks, it's stupid fun and I'm already planning the next steps. Fortunately I have a loving wife that understands my addiction.
Makes all the difference. Headers exhaust and tune installed today. Next is gears. Then on and on perhaps. Haha. This is my fun weekend car though so the whole point is to mod it right? I do have a tune on my DD but this car is so much more fun to monkey around in.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #11
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Fortunately I have a loving wife that understands my addiction.
I need that up top on my mod list..
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote