Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
Well will any compound polish help bring it back at all ? Cause the roof is not bubbly or pealing, the trunk had bubble marks and as u see the side passenger panel is bad as well, the roof feels almost like smooth dull street lamp pole, like how that metal feels. Not sure how to describe better lol
What you want is a fine polish. You might get sub-par results and you might have to live with that. Sometimes you can only go so far. With a car in the condition yours is, the most agressive thing I would probably try is M205 on a white or orange pad.

Your technique can also dictate how aggressive you are being, if you mash on the machine, it will be more agressive. If you barely put any weight on it, you will not get any results.

I would try a test spot first, so that if anything happens it only happens in one area. Ideally you should try your test spot in an area that isn't too noticeable to you, just in case.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Eff it, just spray Armor All on the whole car.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #17
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Eff it, just spray Armor All on the whole car.

lol what?, how about some olive oil, nice a wet smooth look ...
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
lol what?, how about some olive oil, nice a wet smooth look ...
don't forget to put some on the tires!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
don't forget to put some on the tires!
Oh i got this meguiars stuff that smells like grape kool aid, its a tire shine gel,.. lol it smells like grape from like 5 feet away. hmhmmm
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #20
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
It looks like you need a repaint the roof. I wouldn't bother polishing. Maybe a cheap alternative is to have your roof vinyl wrapped.
scythezo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Volvo and Saab were too of the last manufacturers that I know of that offered single stage paint...

I wouldn't assume the clear coat is failing (yet), it could be single stage paint (which would also explain the heavy amounts of oxidation on the sun beaten panels)...

The stain (crow's feet cracking) was caused by acid (likely a bird bomb that sat) and there is nothing you can do to fix it.

Start by polishing a small section of the door with a terry towel and a polish. Rub fairly hard and inspect the towel. If you notice any color, then you have single stage paint (which is a good thing in this case).

IF it is single stage paint, I would start with something fairly aggressive to cut through the oxidation. M101 would be a good choice.

IF it is clear coat, then stay with something mild to clean the paint safely.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #22
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I didn't know that. That's why you get paid the big bucks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #23
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Volvo and Saab were too of the last manufacturers that I know of that offered single stage paint...

I wouldn't assume the clear coat is failing (yet), it could be single stage paint (which would also explain the heavy amounts of oxidation on the sun beaten panels)...

The stain (crow's feet cracking) was caused by acid (likely a bird bomb that sat) and there is nothing you can do to fix it.

Start by polishing a small section of the door with a terry towel and a polish. Rub fairly hard and inspect the towel. If you notice any color, then you have single stage paint (which is a good thing in this case).

IF it is single stage paint, I would start with something fairly aggressive to cut through the oxidation. M101 would be a good choice.

IF it is clear coat, then stay with something mild to clean the paint safely.

Wait door? you mean trunk or roof? cause thats my main issue is working on the trunk or roof and possibly the bird bomb spot, also my driver passanger side has a small oxidized spot too really close to the window. I will let you know if its a single stage or clear coat. I am really hoping you are correct on this and can possibly be polished out if not, Painting or vinyl wrapping does sound good too. Thanks on the input.