Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #43
2010 Indy Pace Car
NCCOA Ch 1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - Z4Z # 44
Contrary to popular belief, header installation does not void the warranty, so long as it complies with emissions, just as the original. Call your dealer. If they say it does, you're better off finding another one because unless your mod causes breakage, there is nothing voided. My dealer replaced the crank pulley, even though there was a SC on the car... Pulley had nothing to do with the installation.

O2 sensors.. The problem you have is that the computer is searching for a signal from the set of sensors (front and rear) in order to make corrections/monitor that are received a at very specific time intervals. When you install LTs, the distance between the sensors is increased and the computer sees this as a faulty sensor, when in fact it is not.

Those who advocate a tune to fix it are correct. However, you are not telling the computer to disregard the report, you are telling it to wait a longer amount of time so that it will receive the correct signal.

I've run ARH LTs on my last two emission legal Camaros. No issues with warranty, all work is still done at the dealer, and the O2 sensors came up both times. Clearing the codes with a scanner, like SCT, will remove the codes, for a short time. The tune is the way to go. I'd recommend a Jannetty Racing tune. They can also turn off the AFM if you have an auto and get rid of that annoying 4 cyl drop...
Hope this helps and enjoy.

Last edited by 2010 Indy Pace Car; 01-10-2013 at 01:25 AM.
2010 Indy Pace Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #44
Bluffen

Drives: 2013 Sea Ray 220 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
You didn't specifically mention whether or not you were tuned. So would it be safe to assume that your setup was not tuned?
NO Tune...it ran fine sounded great..Pacesetter Headers.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #45
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
What voids the powertrain warranty is the tune motor trans and rearend warranty are gone once youbtune. Service advisor told me when you have internal engine problems gm asks to see the ecu Me personally I dont think loosing my warranty over headers is worth it. Im saving for a sc than I will void my wwarranty. Thats just me
Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #46
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6.3 View Post
What voids the powertrain warranty is the tune motor trans and rearend warranty are gone once youbtune. Service advisor told me when you have internal engine problems gm asks to see the ecu Me personally I dont think loosing my warranty over headers is worth it. Im saving for a sc than I will void my wwarranty. Thats just me
Exactly. They will only check your tune if there is a major failure with your internals. Anything else and they won't even bother. My car was tuned by Ted and it's in the shop right now getting warranty work done on the transmission.

@OP: I ran my car for several thousand miles with Longtubes and no tune and it was fine. There was still a large power increase. People on this forum are so worried about having a CEL on. It's just a light, as long as you know what it's on for it isn't an issue. If you're willing to spend $400+ just because you don't like a little yellow light on then LOL. Now if you want the benefits added by a tune, that's another story.

And for everyone else: I had the O2 extensions that raised them up. All this did was turn off the code for having no cats. However, I still got a code for the front O2s not heating properly or something like that. From my research, this doesn't happen to every car, but the ONLY way to get rid of the light is to tune it.

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #47
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitpie View Post
Exactly. They will only check your tune if there is a major failure with your internals. Anything else and they won't even bother. My car was tuned by Ted and it's in the shop right now getting warranty work done on the transmission.

@OP: I ran my car for several thousand miles with Longtubes and no tune and it was fine. There was still a large power increase. People on this forum are so worried about having a CEL on. It's just a light, as long as you know what it's on for it isn't an issue. If you're willing to spend $400+ just because you don't like a little yellow light on then LOL. Now if you want the benefits added by a tune, that's another story.

And for everyone else: I had the O2 extensions that raised them up. All this did was turn off the code for having no cats. However, I still got a code for the front O2s not heating properly or something like that. From my research, this doesn't happen to every car, but the ONLY way to get rid of the light is to tune it.
Well I have posted this one before and have seen other folks post also,, I have LT's, off road mids AND a dynotune to delete the rear O2's and on occasion I will get the dreaded CEL,, the codes it lists are P1133 and P1153. I haven't seen any one post an answer to this yet..
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #48
WackoCamaro

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffen View Post
I recently sold my 2010 SS...I put LT ceramic coated headers had the exhaust custom made with magnaflow high flow cats and S10 flowmasters and my check engine light never came on. It also did not affect my warranty per the service mgr at my dealer because I did not change any INTERNAL engine parts. FYI the only issue I could maybe of had was here in cali changing the cats may not have passed a visual smog check. I saved my old parts to put back on in case, but i was recently told it prob would have passed, headers are not illegal in CA like some think..
Yes your right some headers aren't illegal in CA but for them to be legal they have to have a CARB executive order. From what I've seen it's only the shorty headers that can carry a carb number.
WackoCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote