Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #2003
10 2SS/RS 6M

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 bone stock 9K miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
I don't agree with the fix but this isn't just a Camaro or Chevy issue. Every car I've ever driven can be turned off while driving if you try hard enough. I'm sure a better solution can be devised for all manufacturers, that will prevent a vehicle from being turned off if that vehicle is in motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed!
There should be a device that detects that. It shouldn't be to hard with all the technology today.
SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. QA1 rear lower control arms. Hurst short throw shifter, SS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport 1.5" rear sway-bar. SPOHN 1.25" front sway-bar. Monster LT1-S twin clutch. Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 second 60'.
SOLD.
10 2SS/RS 6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #2004
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
I don't agree with the fix but this isn't just a Camaro or Chevy issue. Every car I've ever driven can be turned off while driving if you try hard enough. I'm sure a better solution can be devised for all manufacturers, that will prevent a vehicle from being turned off if that vehicle is in motion.
Toyota/Lexus almost managed to accomplish that.

But whether inability to shut off the ignition of a moving vehicle is a better solution than letting it be too easy is seriously open to question.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #2005
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2SS/RS 6M View Post
There should be a device that detects that. It shouldn't be to hard with all the technology today.
Wrong answer. See above post and know that there are several cases on record where the ability to more readily shut the engine off would have been preferable. Greatly preferable in at least a few.

The solution needs to be inherent in the switches' mechanical design, with their location or orientation, or some combination of all three. Introducing more technology here simply adds more potential faults and unintended consequences. The new problem that you're making that you don't see now could be as bad as the one you're trying to solve . . . or maybe even worse.

Norm
Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #2006
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Wrong answer. See above post and know that there are several cases on record where the ability to more readily shut the engine off would have been preferable. Greatly preferable in at least a few.

The solution needs to be inherent in the switches' mechanical design, with their location or orientation, or some combination of all three. Introducing more technology here simply adds more potential faults and unintended consequences. The new problem that you're making that you don't see now could be as bad as the one you're trying to solve . . . or maybe even worse.

Norm
The technology to keep the air bag functioning while there is someone in the seat and the vehicle is moving (whether the ignition is on or not) is essentially already in the system (passenger seat), and would be a small change that would be easy to implement with very little added "technology".
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
--- BigNLo - 1996 Impala SS Hot Rod Black. Lots of mods ---
DarthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #2007
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthZL1 View Post
The technology to keep the air bag functioning while there is someone in the seat and the vehicle is moving (whether the ignition is on or not) is essentially already in the system (passenger seat), and would be a small change that would be easy to implement with very little added "technology".
For the sirbags, agreed. Off the top of my head, there's no reason I can think of to not ultimately hook it into a timed "keep-alive" circuit similar to what's already available for things like the radio and power window operation. Might not have to change anything at all beyond connecting the power to a different electrical point.

Norm
Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #2008
Software Guy

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Ask them for a waiver. If you sign it you can get the car now with the old key.
They said they can't do that. I stopped today and while they ordered they keys, they have no ETA.

Screw GM.
Software Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #2009
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
My insurance (State Farm) and the recall.

I final got to talk to my agent about not having this recall done. As far as they know, there has never been an insurance claim denied because of a recall that was not performed. They said they didn't feel this recall was going to change that one bit.
I still say check with your insurance company first before deciding.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #2010
Melkor

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS w/1le Package
I'm a little concerned as well that this won't actually fix anything as, if I can get my knee to hit the key (which, I can't), it'll still hit the key even if it's a smaller fob. Kinda weird.

Oh well. Still love driving my 1le, GM's just had a really rough go of it as of late. Made a few bad decisions as well as some bad designs. No car manufacturer is immune to it.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #2011
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
I'm a little concerned as well that this won't actually fix anything as, if I can get my knee to hit the key (which, I can't), it'll still hit the key even if it's a smaller fob. Kinda weird.

Oh well. Still love driving my 1le, GM's just had a really rough go of it as of late. Made a few bad decisions as well as some bad designs. No car manufacturer is immune to it.
You will probably have a better chance to be struck by lightening or even winning the powerball lottery than to ever shut your car off with your knee by accident while driving.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #2012
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
I'm a little concerned as well that this won't actually fix anything as, if I can get my knee to hit the key (which, I can't), it'll still hit the key even if it's a smaller fob.
So take the fob off the key ring . . .

Norm
Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #2013
Melkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
You will probably have a better chance to be struck by lightening or even winning the powerball lottery than to ever shut your car off with your knee by accident while driving.
Probably very true. But, with all that's going on with GM right now, it's probably best to act on it.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #2014
Melkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
So take the fob off the key ring . . .

Norm
I worded that poorly. I meant actually hitting the key, not the fob.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #2015
jam_dntshake

Drives: Him Crazy
New Camaro Key

The solution for the recall. Seriously?...............
Attached Images

jam_dntshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #2016
LILRED85

Drives: 1985 C4 Corvette
Yeah tell that to the people that stick too much shit on their key ring..
LILRED85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall