Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #29
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDC123 View Post
I will answer any questions I can and i dont mind doing it. I won't build your car for you . All I can provide you is info the decision is always yours.
i totally agree and not trying to flame the OP at all! not my intention. just trying to get him to make an earnest investment in doing some research himself. im all about answering questions and willing to further the knowledge base of any member...including my own. but it is more beneficial to HIM if he were to have some understanding on what he is asking. instead of asking..."what is a turbo?", after searching the internets and developing an understanding of what a turbo is, how about ask...what SIZE turbo would be appropriate or pro's and con's of front mount vs rear mounted turbos? im not trying to bash him in any way...honestly trying to help with his thirst for knowledge. he made a very good point, it is hard to know WHAT to ask. but when you've got an idea about something...search it out on the googles to get a basic understanding. thats the point i was trying to make. sorry if it was taken the wrong way, wasn't intended that way.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #30
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
Turbochargers compress air and fuel into the cylinder making more powerful explosions when ignited.

K&N is a brand of CAI (cold air intake). Cooler air into your engine means more expansion upon igniting. Hotter air doesn't have as much expansion when ignited as cold air hence more power. This is because everything as it heats it expands. So, the engine compartment air has already been expanded further than cold air by the temperature of the engine. High flow air systems like CAIs allow the air to flow in fast enough it doesn't have time for the engine compartment to heat it up. HTH.
well,

given your answer, how would one not confuse this with a super charger? don't they do the same thing? or how about the infamous "ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER"? they both compress air NOT FUEL since you can't compress a liquid...only gasses.

and to say that a CAI flows air in faster so it doesn't have time to heat up is a crock of shyt. they flow more air because the surface volume of the filter and the tube are larger and more aerodynamically tuned to allow higher velocity air flow into the manifold. they free up a lot of the restrictions placed by the manufacturer which keep the car within EPA standards and maintain the "fuel savings" to market the vehicle as a "24 MPG" car. the COLD AIR part comes from drawing air in from "outside" the engine compartment. cold air is DENSER so you can fit more oxygen particles in the combustion chamber and THAT is what provides more power in conjunction with the right fuel mixture.

you might want to do a bit of research yourself before you go "informing" the masses with your "experience". just my .02
Old 07-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #31
NDC123
The Machinist

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 IBM silver rally
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
i totally agree and not trying to flame the OP at all! not my intention. just trying to get him to make an earnest investment in doing some research himself. im all about answering questions and willing to further the knowledge base of any member...including my own. but it is more beneficial to HIM if he were to have some understanding on what he is asking. instead of asking..."what is a turbo?", after searching the internets and developing an understanding of what a turbo is, how about ask...what SIZE turbo would be appropriate or pro's and con's of front mount vs rear mounted turbos? im not trying to bash him in any way...honestly trying to help with his thirst for knowledge. he made a very good point, it is hard to know WHAT to ask. but when you've got an idea about something...search it out on the googles to get a basic understanding. thats the point i was trying to make. sorry if it was taken the wrong way, wasn't intended that way.

Agree 100% gotta mix both searching and asking
American Racing Headers w/high-flow cats and x-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-back mufflers, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI intake, ADM race scoop, RX Catch Can, PEDDERS Street Z package-ZL1 sways-XA Coilovers, PFADT trailing arms-toe rods, RPM 3:91 gears, RPM Stage V Trans, ADM diff bushings, tune by ADM, and still bustin' knuckles!
NDC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #32
NDC123
The Machinist

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 IBM silver rally
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
well,

given your answer, how would one not confuse this with a super charger? don't they do the same thing? or how about the infamous "ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER"? they both compress air NOT FUEL since you can't compress a liquid...only gasses.

and to say that a CAI flows air in faster so it doesn't have time to heat up is a crock of shyt. they flow more air because the surface volume of the filter and the tube are larger and more aerodynamically tuned to allow higher velocity air flow into the manifold. they free up a lot of the restrictions placed by the manufacturer which keep the car within EPA standards and maintain the "fuel savings" to market the vehicle as a "24 MPG" car. the COLD AIR part comes from drawing air in from "outside" the engine compartment. cold air is DENSER so you can fit more oxygen particles in the combustion chamber and THAT is what provides more power in conjunction with the right fuel mixture.

you might want to do a bit of research yourself before you go "informing" the masses with your "experience". just my .02
A) yes you can compress a liquid
B) yes the filter makes the air flow FASTER the longer it stays in the engine compartment the more it heats up.
C) saying cold air is more dense is exactly what I said, it isn't expanded as far is laments terms I was using for better understanding since he is obviously new to this.
D) yes superchargers and turbechargers do the same thing just by different means, compressed air allows more fuel to be put into the cylinder which is what I was trying to say.
American Racing Headers w/high-flow cats and x-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-back mufflers, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI intake, ADM race scoop, RX Catch Can, PEDDERS Street Z package-ZL1 sways-XA Coilovers, PFADT trailing arms-toe rods, RPM 3:91 gears, RPM Stage V Trans, ADM diff bushings, tune by ADM, and still bustin' knuckles!
NDC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #33
Cliffjumper

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Black
Just to defend myself I know what a turbo is I was asking if it was worth the money for the boost. I guess I could have stated it better
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #34
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
A) yes you can compress a liquid
B) yes the filter makes the air flow FASTER the longer it stays in the engine compartment the more it heats up.
C) saying cold air is more dense is exactly what I said, it isn't expanded as far is laments terms I was using for better understanding since he is obviously new to this.
D) yes superchargers and turbechargers do the same thing just by different means, compressed air allows more fuel to be put into the cylinder which is what I was trying to say.
i should have stated: relatively incompressible

looks like we agree for the most part, just a different way of saying the same thing, hence 50 different answers to 1 question...oh well. it is what it is.

good luck OP.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #35
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

are turbos worth the money? personally i think so. but that also depends on your intentions with the car and how deep your pockets are. turbos CAN provide better fuel economy (when driven easy as a daily driver) with the ability to produce huge HP/TQ gains at WOT (wide open throttle). but is the $5-6K investment worth it to you? do you want an option where minimal maintenance is required or to be constantly involved in maintaining your vehicle. i've seen a particular turbo'd V6 on a lift with the STS rear mount turbo and it had all kinds of issues that STS hadn't worked out. i've seen the car on the lift more than i've seen it out in town...so. but you also have RX which has their system and providing results, not just a product.

what are your intentions if you turbo it? race...daily driver...bragging rights? to maximize your investment from FI, you'd also want to look at upgrading your suspension, wheels & tires...but that is also dependent on your intentions or goal for your car. knowing what you want the end state to be makes getting there a little easier...not always, but helps.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #36
Cliffjumper

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Black
I just want to add power to my car I guess just to know I have it plus I would like to take it to a track. I think just mod my ai, tb might be good for me and new exhaust
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine