Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #29
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Hey Pete, follow the link...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209928
Old 03-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #30
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Have you even run your car on a track??
All he needs is bigger sway bars to get started. You don't have to break the bank to have fun.
He's having a new baby, and said a ZL1 is out of the price range.
Any camaro is better than no camaro.
Don't mind if I chime in but just don't get an L99 auto, I had a 2011 L99 and my current LS3 even stock would rape my past L99 with headers, tune and intake, no joke. Plus M6 is better for track , no offense Ronan.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #31
Cap'n Pete

Drives: '02 Z28
Rogan, nice to hear from somebody with some perspective with the L99 / A6. Glad to hear that you haven't had any issues so far. I agree, a BIG COOLER would probably be a very wise move .

L99Cama, I have no misconceptions about the disadvantages of an auto, just trying to leave all "options" open to consideration, since if we go to one vehicle, it may not be practical if my wife can't drive the car if necessary ..... and before anyone suggests, "teach her to drive it", for over 5 years, she's refused to learn on either my Camaro or Corvette (although I'm sure most people wouldn't even consider teaching somebody on either car like that?! ).

No doubt, I'd love to just keep the Z06, but it's a very expensive piece of real estate at the moment, and the payment for that 1 car could be put towards 2 cars which would better suit our needs at this point . But trust me, it's really hard thinking of giving up such an awesome car :(.
Cap'n Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #32
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Don't mind if I chime in but just don't get an L99 auto, I had a 2011 L99 and my current LS3 even stock would rape my past L99 with headers, tune and intake, no joke. Plus M6 is better for track , no offense Ronan.
No offense taken. I haven't been raped by stock ls3 and in the 1/4 auto is consistently faster. I prefer stick for the FUN factor and yes manual is better for road course. However I just never got the heel and toe to point where it helped. It only hurt me. However after doing some track days in my l99 I wish I had the manual. I think I was better than I thought as I miss doing it while in my auto.

If I don't trade her in (thinking about a ctsv - dealer waiting on me to decide) - I will super charge her and put a cooler for the tranny. The cts v is so pretty on the inside that I don't feel like driving her hard.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #33
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
Rogan, nice to hear from somebody with some perspective with the L99 / A6. Glad to hear that you haven't had any issues so far. I agree, a BIG COOLER would probably be a very wise move .

L99Cama, I have no misconceptions about the disadvantages of an auto, just trying to leave all "options" open to consideration, since if we go to one vehicle, it may not be practical if my wife can't drive the car if necessary ..... and before anyone suggests, "teach her to drive it", for over 5 years, she's refused to learn on either my Camaro or Corvette (although I'm sure most people wouldn't even consider teaching somebody on either car like that?! ).

No doubt, I'd love to just keep the Z06, but it's a very expensive piece of real estate at the moment, and the payment for that 1 car could be put towards 2 cars which would better suit our needs at this point . But trust me, it's really hard thinking of giving up such an awesome car :(.
You have obviously have to do what makes you feel comfortable. You will miss that Z for sure - but we all get over things like that. The wife should have a decent car to drive - so just research your options. Maybe in your case you get a cheap Honda for your daily driving, your wife get a decent family car and for your track days an S2000? You'll eventually be back into a Vette - but this option allows you to have a track car you don't have to spend anything on initially. S2000 may lack torque but once you get her going you will find it very fun in the turns - and you can hold that momentum for nice exit speeds.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #34
Cap'n Pete

HONDA is a 4-letter-word in my books, buddy!!! I'll stick with my high-mileage, aging Avalanche before going to the dark side! My wife won't have anything but a GM either ..... the Oshawa assembly plant kept a roof over her head and food on the table growing up, so we can't turn our backs on GM like that!!

The way I see this deal going down, The Z06 and Avalanche go, I'll get a Camaro, she gets a new Equinox (or something similar) and we may keep her car around for me as a winter beater ('04 Optra ... not a "domestic" Chevy, but it does wear a bowtie ).

If we get rid of her car, then I'd be hard pressed getting a 6-speed Camaro since I could leave her "stranded" in the event I take her vehicle for some reason, so keeping her Optra would provide a good alternative, and could save the Camaro from winter use/abuse as well .

I will miss the Z06 dearly, but I'll get over it. Giving up going to the track entirely sounds painful, so I'll be perfectly fine out there with an LS3/6-speed Camaro. I'm sure the mod-bug will hit me one day, but in the meantime, I'll "survive" with it being bone stock .

No final decisions yet, but hopefully that's how things will pan out .
Old 03-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #35
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
HONDA is a 4-letter-word in my books, buddy!!! I'll stick with my high-mileage, aging Avalanche before going to the dark side! My wife won't have anything but a GM either ..... the Oshawa assembly plant kept a roof over her head and food on the table growing up, so we can't turn our backs on GM like that!!

The way I see this deal going down, The Z06 and Avalanche go, I'll get a Camaro, she gets a new Equinox (or something similar) and we may keep her car around for me as a winter beater ('04 Optra ... not a "domestic" Chevy, but it does wear a bowtie ).

If we get rid of her car, then I'd be hard pressed getting a 6-speed Camaro since I could leave her "stranded" in the event I take her vehicle for some reason, so keeping her Optra would provide a good alternative, and could save the Camaro from winter use/abuse as well .

I will miss the Z06 dearly, but I'll get over it. Giving up going to the track entirely sounds painful, so I'll be perfectly fine out there with an LS3/6-speed Camaro. I'm sure the mod-bug will hit me one day, but in the meantime, I'll "survive" with it being bone stock .

No final decisions yet, but hopefully that's how things will pan out .
lolz...
Old 03-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #36
Cap'n Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
However I just never got the heel and toe to point where it helped. It only hurt me.
IMO, heel-toe isn't as "critical" as some people make it out to be. I never managed successfully for the first ~4 - 5 years, as it just didn't work all that well with the pedal arrangement in my '02 Z28. When I got into my first C6, the pedals were damn near "perfect", and I began doing heel-toe all the time.

The MOST IMPORTANT part, is rev-matching your down-shifts. That "blip" of throttle is key. I got so good at timing my down-shifts just before getting on the brakes, and rev-matching them, that I was "complimented" on how well I did heel-toe! (even though it wasn't heel-toe at all ).

Since it's been quite awhile since I've driven the 5th-gen, I can't remember what the pedal arrangement is like ... whether the gas and brake are close enough to do heel-toe easily or not?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #37
Cap'n Pete

Here's a question:

Anybody (or know anybody who) lost a motor due to oil starvation??

Apparently it's quite a concern with the LS3 in the C6, but I don't know, it could be due to differences in the design (size/shape) of the oil pan used in the C6 vs. Camaro? (assuming there is a difference? ).

GM came out with a "Bat-wing" (shaped) pan for the LS3 (C6), similar to that on the LS6 (C5Z06). Are the pans between a C6 LS3 and Camaro LS3 the same, or different?

Wondering if there are any issues with that, and if so, is there a known "fix", other than going to an Accusump and/or aftermarket dry-sump?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #38
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
The vette was a dry sump oil system.
We don't have that.
Corner 5 has claimed a few vette engines.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #39
Cap'n Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
Corner 5 has claimed a few vette engines.
From what I've heard, it's 2 and 4 (esp. 2) that are really hard on them, and you "find out" when you get into 5 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
The vette was a dry sump oil system.
We don't have that.
The base C6 (LS3) uses a conventional oil pan ... no dry sump. Only the Grand Sport / Z06 / ZR1 get that (and even the dry sump system needs upgrades ).

But as for the stock LS3, at least in the C6, they've been known to starve for oil after long, high-g corners. In some cases, they're fine on street tires, and only an issue on R-compound tires.

Just wasn't sure if there is much history with the Camaros? (yet??)

BTW, enough LS3's (stock, no mods) blew on the track, and GM covered them under warranty, that GM came up with a "solution" by designing a "bat-wing" pan (like the LS6's) specifically for the LS3, for track use. They've also had to replace blown LS7's with dry-sump, (under warranty) and have since increased the capacity of the system in an effort to alleviate the problems with it.

I guess my REAL question here is, does the Camaro's LS3 use the SAME oil pan as the C6's, or is it a different pan? (maybe larger capacity? does it have any kind of baffling inside??)

Last edited by Cap'n Pete; 03-17-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #40
Synner

Drives: cars
There is a bit of baffling to get oil down into the pan and prevent foaming on the crank. But no trap doors around the pump or anything fancy like a track made pan. You also have to consider that a corvette will pull some serious g's when modded. Most camaros won't get to that level without major suspension/wheel/tire mods. I haven't seen or heard of anyone running the pump dry on a camaro.

I did find this which looks interesting:
http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pa...ffle-p-41.html

I figure if you've thrown enough money at the car's suspension that the risk is valid then you probably have some cash going into the engine as well so a baffle would be a wise investment. But for a bolt-on camaro with a fair number of suspension mods you should be fine. I would avoid high volume oil pumps though if you have plans like yours. Also some road courses have high speed sustained turns so it will be track specific where problems are highlighted. I'm too lazy to find all the fiches to see if its the same part number.

You seem to be bouncing back and forth between minimal mods and making a track monster. Eventually you're going to find some weak links on a track monster.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #41
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
There is a bit of baffling to get oil down into the pan and prevent foaming on the crank. But no trap doors around the pump or anything fancy like a track made pan. You also have to consider that a corvette will pull some serious g's when modded. Most camaros won't get to that level without major suspension/wheel/tire mods. I haven't seen or heard of anyone running the pump dry on a camaro.

I did find this which looks interesting:
http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pa...ffle-p-41.html

I figure if you've thrown enough money at the car's suspension that the risk is valid then you probably have some cash going into the engine as well so a baffle would be a wise investment. But for a bolt-on camaro with a fair number of suspension mods you should be fine. I would avoid high volume oil pumps though if you have plans like yours. Also some road courses have high speed sustained turns so it will be track specific where problems are highlighted. I'm too lazy to find all the fiches to see if its the same part number.

You seem to be bouncing back and forth between minimal mods and making a track monster. Eventually you're going to find some weak links on a track monster.
Thanks for the post. I only have coilovers and pdaft sways. I feel putting race tires would probably make it a good idea to have this pan. Trailing arms and some bushings are next for suspension.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #42
Cap'n Pete

Quote:
You also have to consider that a corvette will pull some serious g's when modded. Most camaros won't get to that level without major suspension/wheel/tire mods.
Does the H.U.D. show the cornering g's like it does in the 'Vette? Curious what kind of g's the Camaros are pulling, on average, from streets to R-comps?

FWIW, I have seen consistant numbers between 1.0 - 1.2 with the Z06!

Also FWIW, both the C6's LS3 and LS7 have suffered starvation once they start sustaining over 1.0 for long, sweeping corners, and (amazingly!) that can be achieved on factory tires, with NO MODS.

So I think you can probably understand my concern with the LS3?

Quote:
I haven't seen or heard of anyone running the pump dry on a camaro. ... I'm too lazy to find all the fiches to see if its the same part number.
I found the p/n ... 12622559 . Also, checking the spec's between the base C6 and Camaro, the C6 only takes 5.5L, vs. the Camaro takes 8.5L ... that's a huge difference! And I found a picture on this page (http://www.camarohomepage.com/ls3/ - a lot of good info on there, actually!) which shows the windage tray, which DOESN'T exist in a base C6?! So I'm beginning to see why it's likely NOT been a problem with the Camaro . When I first got my C6, I had the crap scared out of me with some of the horror stories ... but looks like the Camaro is actually better equipped in this regard! That's VERY good news to me!

Quote:
Nope, not looking for a track monster ... been there, done that ... just looking for a nice driving car that I can, perhaps, slap some tires and brakes on (with little to no mods) and go have some fun on occasion

I want something that's going to be reliable, and not constantly breaking / breaking-down (not that the 'Vettes fit into that category, but I've been down that road before), and doesn't "need mods" before stepping foot onto the track just for the occasional day once in awhile (and since oil starvation is a real concern with the C6's, then it had to be addressed with them). Other than blowing the diff a few times in my '02 Z28 () that car performed flawlessly for me for many years and miles. I'm getting the impression the new one should be equally as trouble-free, as long as I treat it right .

Again, I appreciate all the helpful feedback that's been provided in this thread.