Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #617
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Thanks, I did. But they used chassis ears and said it was the struts. So they replaced them, I wasn't going to argue as I figured I had bad struts.
The strut noise if a hydraulic flutter. Clicks, mechanical sounds come from something mechanical and not hydraulic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
I'm pretty sure the struts are same as 2013 too, they have that light color to the bearing from what I can tell looking up into the wheel well.
Have your OE endlinks been changed out in the process?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #618
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Yes, first visit was to replace sway bar end links and bushings.
Next step was struts/mounts and bumpers. I know the noise you are referring to - my Volvo had that fluid "swoosh" and that didn't bother me. You could only hear it with the windows open and going slow over a speed bump or such. This noise is that ridiculous "loose lumber" sound like these guys have:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...front-end.html

Looks like Ford had a similar issue (perhaps) and came up with their own "toilet mod" http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...30-post13.html

Wonder, who invented the "loose lumber" term first? http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...900-post9.html

I started a new thread to be sure we're talking about the same "clunk" noise:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...85#post5659685

Last edited by blackswan; 10-05-2012 at 11:14 PM.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:43 AM   #619
casperorr

Drives: 2010 Transformer edition SS Camaro
Hello Camaro Clunking Group. I recently bought a 2010 Camaro SS, and the first thing I noticed was the clunking noise in the front end. I jumped the gun and purchased the car without any research. In 2007 I purchased a Mustang GT that had the same problem. The dealer's answer was always that it was the characteristic of the car. *Y&%^#@! SURE! Well long story short is that we organized a long list of complaints online to Ford. And Wow! Ford found the problem to be bad upper strut mount bearings etc. etc. etc. .... Whatever. The best part was that they did a TSB on the Mustang suspension and fixed the problem. I was like everyone else and very pissed off about a new car riding like an old worn out 4x4 truck. NO WAY! I finally got my Mustang back and it drove like a new car. Tight steering and NO CLUNK! It was worth holding the thread open and pounding on the door to Ford to get action on the issue. You can goto fordmustangforum.com and search the "front end clunking noise" and you will see allot of the same talk as you all have now. But It is worth continuing the fight. WOW! what a feeling, driving a 30,000 dollar car that actuall finally drives like a 30,000 dollar car. Let me know where I can help. I need the fix as well.

thanks,
Casperorr
casperorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #620
funbun

Drives: 2010 RS
Same problem with my 2010 RS 6 cyl. Took it in at 35,500 miles, dealer ruled " unable to duplicate" but the specific bump was 20 miles away and i hated to drive the guy all the way out there. So, now, at 75,000 miles, the noise is still there. My specific noise has to be the strut. It's a loud popping when you go over a ledge or hump where the weight of the car hasn't been allowed to transfer from the front to the rear, ie, the front end is " unloaded". There's nothing to keep the strut from fully expanding, and there is ZERO resistance to keep it from sounding like a disaster. Dangdest thing I've ever seen. I will drive it till the wheel falls off, then I'll deal with the fallout from there. I suppose replacing the stock struts with some quality aftermarket units may take care of the problem. I may post the video later if possible. I still love my car, I get compliments virtually every time someone sees it. It really is eye candy.
funbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #621
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
It's really a shame that this noise mars an otherwise excellent ride. I know some have it worse and some don't have it at all.

Oh well, I'm done chasing it, I have been without the car for about 2 weeks over all so they could look into it.

Just not worth it.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #622
JSC81

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS M6
Edit: Disregard Last brake change didn't use new bolts on the calipers.

Last edited by JSC81; 01-10-2013 at 03:33 PM.
JSC81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #623
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
I have the same problem but I thought it was because I installed eibach springs.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #624
j4s

Drives: 2010 ss rs IBM L99
Clunk clunk clunk....My rant

Clunk clunk clunk....My rant...

I believe I have read all the post about Camaro clunk at least once and really what is the fix... I know I don’t have a lose sway bar..disconnected the end links, still clunked.

I bought this car used last May, the car was absolutely cherry, but I didn’t notice the clunk ( guess I was still to much in love with the car) until one day I had to pick up my seven year old grandson at summer camp. he is driving in the car with me and says Papa were is the big black car ( 2004 mercury Marauder) and why are you driving this bumpy car...that’s when I started to really notice the clunk..

Kind of got used to the clunk, helps a tiny little bit to know others have it also. Then I put a tire rack snow tire packages with wheels on were the fronts are a little taller....now the clunk is a little louder than it was..Just got through driving my wife's Hyundai for five days, forgot how a regular car sounds like over bumps...even a Hyundai ( not my choice for a car..hers ). Now my car rides more like a clunker...back it the day ( I am 68 ) that’s what they called a bad car ...A CLUNKER..
How can GM say this a normal sound. If so they should recall all the Camaros without the clunk. Does GM know how to fix the clunk...bet they do, are thy going to tell how to fix, no they wont..that would be admitting the problem..... Maybe the USA ( all of us) shouldn’t have bailed them out..

IF I put new insulators and shocks would that solve the problem ? how about 70/30 shocks would that make it worse ?

They used to say ...who put the ram in the ramalamadingdong... and I say...who put the clunk de dunk in the Camaro...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images...es/mad0260.gif
Thanks for letting me rant a little..
j4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #625
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
Has anyone replace the struts and gotten rid of the clunking? I'm considering the lakewood 70/30's as well since I like to take the car to the strip. Only problem is the BMR front 1.4" drop springs may not be compatible.

Does replacing the factory struts with coil-overs fix this?
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #626
keef

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Black w/ gray stripes
Also having this problem on my 2010 2SS RS. Mine does this not only on bumps, but occasionally while just making a simple turn, not only do you hear it, but you can slightly feel it. Definitely does sound like something is about to fall apart or off.

Taking it in tomorrow at Carr Chevy World in Beaverton, OR.
keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #627
MCamaro

Drives: 2013 2SS Cararo
Front end popping

Guys,

I just purchased my 2SS Camaro last week. With 15 miles on it I took it back to the dealer. At first they didnt know what it was. But I insisted that they find out something or I was going to give the car back to them.
They quickly advised me that Chevy came out with a Service Bulletin and acknowledged that the new 2013 models do have a Front strut issue. There is no fix for it at this time. They also said that GM Engineers are working on this issue night and day until they have a resolution.
Well thats all I know for now!!
MCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #628
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Gonna need the TSB number for the 2013 or it is not a valid statement. Push them for the TSB.

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #629
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCamaro View Post
Guys,

I just purchased my 2SS Camaro last week. With 15 miles on it I took it back to the dealer. At first they didnt know what it was. But I insisted that they find out something or I was going to give the car back to them.
They quickly advised me that Chevy came out with a Service Bulletin and acknowledged that the new 2013 models do have a Front strut issue. There is no fix for it at this time. They also said that GM Engineers are working on this issue night and day until they have a resolution.
Well thats all I know for now!!
Please post more information when it becomes available.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #630
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Add me and my 2LT/RS to the growing list. It's a 2010, picked it up 3 weeks ago and noticed the problem right away going over a speed bump after picking it up.
Had less than 2800 miles on it when I got it.
Description of the noise is nearly verbatim of what i read in this thread so far.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote