Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Rear Diffusser Dilemma

Just wondering if it's easier to remove the rear diffusser from the rear facia with the facia off the car then it is to remove on the car? Hate those plastic clips.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
elarson5757
Obsessed and Loving It...

Drives: 2013 1LE-SS
yes...you pretty much have to remove the rear facia to do it...only way I can see to get the additional parts off the back of the diffuser to remove it...there is a plastic crash absorber behind there...
elarson5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by elarson5757 View Post
yes...you pretty much have to remove the rear facia to do it...only way I can see to get the additional parts off the back of the diffuser to remove it...there is a plastic crash absorber behind there...
You can remove the rear diffusser from facia while it's on the car, but I was thinking if the whole facia was off you would be able to disengage those stupid plastic clips with a small screwdriver.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
it is much easier to handle with the rear off the car. You can see, adjust, fix, adjust, align, fix, realign, adjust, then reinstall.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
it is much easier to handle with the rear off the car. You can see, adjust, fix, adjust, align, fix, realign, adjust, then reinstall.
THX. I was thinking it looked easier to remove the whole facia, then is was to remove the rear diffusser on the car. That way you would have an easier go at disengaging the clips on the diffusser.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
It's SUPER easy to remove the rear fascia anyway..

8 bolts.. 4 on each side in the wheel well. 3x T15 (maybe T20) hold the wheel well liner. 1x 7mm into the sidemarker light.

Also, unplug the harness for the tail lamps on each side. Once the bolts are out, give a little tug on the wheel well piece outward to free it up.

once both sides are loose, it's an easy pull straight back.

I recommend having a banquet table or a pair of sawhorses covered with a blanket ready to put your rear fascia on.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Just removed mine. It's easier while it's off the car. You need to pop a few plastic tabs and it's easier from inside of facia. After removing bumper it's straight forward, a few screws and about 8-10 plastic tabs and the diffuser pops off.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Just wondering if it's easier to remove the rear diffusser from the rear facia with the facia off the car then it is to remove on the car? Hate those plastic clips.

There is absolutely no reason to remove the rear fascia to remove the diffuser. There are only about 8 bolts holding it on... the rest is just a little bit of tugging. You will not break tabs if you do it the right way. First off the key is WD40. Spray a little onto each tab. You can do this from the underside of the car and as you start to pull the diffuser back. The first two outboard tabs come out pretty easy... the rest can be a pain in the Azz. That's where the WD40 comes in. I took mine off for the first time a few weeks ago to add mu quad exhaust diffuser. I tried dry at first and thought I was going to break the diffuser in two after tugging for 20 minutes. I did a search on Camaro5 and found a post saying to use WD40. After a few squirts here and there, it came off pretty easy. I soaked each tab pretty good to make sure it was really lubricated. Start from the out side and work your way inboard from each side. Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
Merc
In The Circle

Hey Guy's THX for all your help. One way or the other Pumpkin get's a smooth painted rear diffuser Wednesday night.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #10
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
I had to remove the whole fascia its so easy its the best way anyway
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote