Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #323
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
This is what we wanted, not a Trans-AM series entry car like they produced.
http://www.netcarshow.com/chevrolet/2008-camaro_ls7_concept/

All they had to do was stick an LS7 in a 1LE package for another $5k and slap a z/28 badge on it.

What GM built should be labeled CAMARO COPO "Trans-AM PRO series" or something.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #324
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
But then all the old fogies trying to re-live the past would not have a Z/28 to talk about.
If one wanted to relive the past wouldn't they purchase a 1Gen Z/28?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #325
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy_Rich View Post
This is what we wanted, not a Trans-AM series entry car like they produced.
http://www.netcarshow.com/chevrolet/2008-camaro_ls7_concept/

All they had to do was stick an LS7 in a 1LE package for another $5k and slap a z/28 badge on it.

What GM built should be labeled CAMARO COPO "Trans-AM PRO series" or something.

Obviously GM did not think that was good enough. Nothing stopping you from building a car that way and I'm sure it would be a great car but that isn't enough. If you read the Z/28 forums before the 2014 Z/28 was revealed, you could see all the arguments made by a few people, including myself. A lot of us agreed that the 1LE was a good starting point but more had to be done before it was a Z/28. GM exceeded our expectations by a mile but did so by taking what we had built and making it even better than we though could be done.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #326
nightshift

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
Meh.....for me I'd much rather have the zl1
nightshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #327
Stingray23

Drives: 2012 Ford SVT Raptor
Yea, but wouldnt you want the car to be all it can be? I dont get it. GM goes all out and gives the public a no compromise camaro upgrading EVERYTHING and people are still not happy. This is not a run of the mill SS. This is a purpose built factory track car. They went to great lengths to give us a car that lives up to the Z/28 name. Would you rather have a "Z/28" stickered car with color coded interior pieces and "Z/28" stitched on the headrests and T-tops and fuzzy dice or what they gave us? Too many posers here.
Stingray23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #328
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
A wise man once said, "Live in the now!"
I believe he was a Jedi Master.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #329
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
Good question. Seems like there's an entire house of people that could have done so instead of lobbying all this time for GM to produce a new version.

Look, I am as happy as the next guy that GM did produce this car, but I also understand why a lot of people aren't. Yes, the original z/28 was built for a specfic purpose, but for the vast majority of people not born in the 1940's/'50's the Z28 name represents something else entirely.
I find it interesting how you differentiated the 2 Z's from different era's. The Z/28 from the late 60's and the Z28 from 1977 1/2 to 20002. The one's starting from 77 1/2 were watered down versions of the 60's and early 70's.

So, if GM is following a pattern, it's the same recipe as before. Bide your time and you will get the watered down version - due to what is the main driving factor in the bottom of my sig.

I was born in the 60's and I grew up with the Late 2nd Gen's and 3rd Gens and I wish to have experienced what those guy's did from the 60's. I'm sure if I had lived in that 60's era back then as a young man, I probably couldn't afford it getting it new, but there is always the possibility of owning secondhand. Nothing wrong with that.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #330
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray23 View Post
Yea, but wouldnt you want the car to be all it can be? I dont get it. GM goes all out and gives the public a no compromise camaro upgrading EVERYTHING and people are still not happy. This is not a run of the mill SS. This is a purpose built factory track car. They went to great lengths to give us a car that lives up to the Z/28 name. Would you rather have a "Z/28" stickered car with color coded interior pieces and "Z/28" stitched on the headrests and T-tops and fuzzy dice or what they gave us? Too many posers here.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. If GM designed this car by committee -- or by allowing us to choose the feature set -- it would be terrible. Instead they took a bold approach, for modern-day GM -- they gave the engineers free rein to maximize the performance of this platform.

As a result, this is a hard-core car. A lot of the complaints I'm hearing seem to be more that the car is not what the complainer wants. The bolder the car, the more likely it is to piss some people off. I'm glad GM took an uncompromising approach on this car. Is the Z/28 right for everyone? Of course not -- and it's a better car because of that. That fact will make it even more desirable down the road, I believe.

Personally, I'm THRILLED about the Z/28. I was getting ready to buy a Boss 302 Laguna Seca for track day use. Though that's not a bad car, I had a running feud with my cousin when we were kids. He was a Ford guy, but I was a Chevy guy. Enough said...
Old 03-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #331
Ayuir
Army EOD Tech

Drives: 2014 BRM 2SS/RS
GM put what was necessary into the Z/28 to bring back the feel of the original. Not everyone could have one new then, nor now. Nor should they. This is the next best thing to a race car you're going to get off the showroom floor. It isn't for everyone.

Too many folks are thinking about a 1982 Z/28 (as an example). It was nice, it was fast, it was comfortable, but it was a watered-down version of what the car was in 1967. They've gone back to their roots and I think that's a good thing.

This car won't be for everyone. Lots of guesses as to the price (note: guesses). Some reasonable guesses, but guesses none the less. Will it be expensive? Yes. Most of us won't be able to afford one new. Buy one used in a few years. Wait for a C6 Z/28 that someone mentioned a day or two ago.

With the CAFE standards driving mandated mileage up, the Z/28 will get watered down again just like happened in the 70s and 80s. Or, if GM chooses to keep it pure, the price will go WAY up. The CAFE penalties apply to the GM fleet as a whole. A Z/28 drags down the average for the fleet making penalties more likely for GM. They have to either enginer the rest of the fleet for even greater mileage or pay the cost. Guess what, that CAFE penalty is going to get passed on in sticker price. Think they're going to raise the price of a Malibu to cover the cost of a Z/28's mileage?

Nope.

As much as I'd love to have a Z/28 badge on my Camaro, it isn't going to happen. The Z/28 needs to stay based on it's original form, and I think GM has nailed it. I need a DD and so as much as it pains me, A Z/28 isn't in my future. Maybe a 1LE, probably not a ZL1, maybe a modded out 2SS/RS.

But the point is, GM has given all of us the choices to find the Camaro that fits each of us. Don't cry because you can't get the badge you want, instead get the performance and comfort combination that works for you and THEN look at what badge you end up with. Then revel in that badge and boast about it all day.

After all, you could be driving a Mustang....
Ayuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #332
avcbm

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
...and I for one am VERY happy they did...

BTW, does your "Barley Street Legal" ZL1, as per sig, "hop" down the street/road/track? Or does it BARELY get there?
Stay on point of the topic at hand, not sidebar distractions about a misspelled word in my sig photo. Obviously that is a typo, which hasn’t been corrected in the art work, so don’t humor yourself with trying to act intelligent in a condensing way, your attempt at debasing humor is not funny, nor is it entertaining. The error has also been pointed out well before your observation, so no other comment from you is wanted, desired, or needed on that.

2012 Camaro ZL1
2010 Camaro SS (Sold)
avcbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #333
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Love the idea/concept of the new Z/28 but surprised at what price is expected to be. Do not see how GM can justify over $52k for it. Yes i realize it has the LS7 and carbon brakes, but also does NOT have mag suspension, a/c, stereo, HUD, carbon hood insert, HID lights, HD half shafts, HD rear diff (as in the ZL1), center gauge console etc. stripped down the way it is, it seems reasonable to expect no more than $12k over current 1LE pricing?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #334
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
One thing you have to give credit to GM for is the choice's you have. Many great trim levels to choose from and the Z28 is welcome edition imo.

Last edited by Thrillz; 03-30-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #335
Gibroni

Drives: '12 IOM LT 'vert
All this whining over CAFE standards makes me scratch my head. They're building cars that perform off the factory floor better than could be built by racing teams back in the day but you guys are pissed because it also gets 30+ MPG? The V6 hag more horsepower than nearly every Camaro produced before it but it's watered down? I'm going to buy stock in kleenex when the 6th gen comes with the 2 liter turbo yet still outperforms the 5th gen SS. Also without the guy currently in the whitehouse there'd be no GM today.
Gibroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #336
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshift View Post
Meh.....for me I'd much rather have the zl1
So have it, the choices are there for you to make!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote