Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Thread Closed

Old 11-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Yes.

2. I've not heard a comment until yours that the 2014 looks like an IROC.
Interesting tidbit ABOUT the IROC. We held Product Clinics in Atlanta and DAllas
several years back. We broke them up in groups of 20 - for a total of about 2500 people.
After about 2 and a half hours, we showed each member of the group photos of the
35 years of Camaro. We asked them to pick ONE Camaro that represented the 'ultimate'
Camaro - when Chevrolet got the product 'right'.

I was simply stunned with the answer....

nearly 90% of men and women chose the 1985 IROC.......!! Go figure.
I can believe it; the IROC kicked ass. Some of my earliest memories were riding in my dad's white IROC Z with red interior. If GM would bring back the red interior and t-tops I'd have to get one just for the nostalgia.

I've always wondered why GM doesn't offer a red interior on the 5th gens.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Why do you say that? A panel covering the headlamps would meet Federal standards.
Hmm. Sounds like you know something we don't.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriddick View Post
GM hit a home run with the 2010-2013.. looks very similar to the 69, round headlights.. why not offer true hide away lights that open and close on an RS model...

Why would they change it to look like a late 80s IROC slanted nose car which no First Gens resembled only to eventually lose sales?

The new lights front and rear look just like the IROC.. Not sure why they would change the cool round headlight to the 2014.. and now they want to make it a weird bubble car?

History repeats itself...

Look for the IROC label on the doors soon,, maybe a hatch that will fall and hit you in the head when the struts fail... or guess what.. the fake grills in the hood.. oh .. they brought that back in 2014..

SERIOUSLY?
I'd buy a 2014 over a 2010-2013.

Seriously.

The design was getting old. If you count the lead time from the original concept, it was around a seven year old design.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Quote:
Yes.

Seriously.

LEt's discuss your various comments.....

1. Headlamp doors. Many people feel that the 5th gen is too heavy.
Adding headlamp doors would add about 25-40 pounds with all the necessary
hardware and such....plus, I've yet to see a 1st gen Camaro with headlamp
doors that didn't have alignment problems with the doors to the grille.

Interesting tidbit ABOUT the IROC. We held Product Clinics in Atlanta and DAllas
several years back. We broke them up in groups of 20 - for a total of about 2500 people.
After about 2 and a half hours, we showed each member of the group photos of the
35 years of Camaro. We asked them to pick ONE Camaro that represented the 'ultimate'

nearly 90% of men and women chose the 1985 IROC.......!! Go figure. So - while you
might not like the 3rd gen car - it appears many more do!

3. A bubble car? The sheet metal on the 2014 is virtually the same as the 2010-2013,
other than the deck lid.........so I'm not sure what you're looking at.....

4. No hatch.

5. IROC won't be back at least for the forseeable future REGARDLESS of the fact
that people continue to ask us to use the name. We do not own it. SCCA does and the series
is no longer being run....(curious: do YOU know what it stands for?)

6. The "Fake grilles" in the hood as you call them are actually functional.....they aren't fake as you claim.......................

Lastly - you mention that the 5th gen looks like the 1st gen. When the car was designed, it was designed as a modern sports coupe...with a few classic styling cues. I think that's the magic of the 5th gen.......for old guys like me, we see the classic styling cues....while younger buyers don't see a retro-car ......rather, they see a 'kick-butt' looking car that turns heads no matter where you go. I've had people say "YOU GUYS SHOULD HAVE MADE THE CAR MORE LIKE THE 1969 CAMARO!....." - to which I question: "you mean, like Dodge did with their Challenger?...................so we could sell LESS cars????"

Just wanted to give you some serious facts on your remarks....

Some are questioning if you're a troll. I don't think you are.............but I do want to give you some stuff to consider.............

International Race of Champions......had it on the side of my 89. IMO, the Fbody Trans Am looked better as the actual race car. I cant remember if Dodge had the rights to use the badging before or after GM.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #19
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Wrong section or not.....

I am glad that the Camaro received an update for '14. It is in a lot better shape than the Challenger, which to me looks identical to the '08 model. The '14 update keeps the Camaro looking fresh, and it has done miracles for the 1LE...........the 1LE looks so killer with the hood and with the updated grille and aft. The ZL1 imo also took well to the new rear, as it looks more aggressive, and the rear skirt works well with the plastic valence.

Its time for Chevy and GM to get back into taking risks and making bold and innovative strokes in their car designs. We've had too much of "staying the course" and "playing it safe".

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Old 11-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #20
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post

I am glad that the Camaro received an update for '14. It is in a lot better shape than the Challenger, which to me looks identical to the '08 model. The '14 update keeps the Camaro looking fresh, and it has done miracles for the 1LE...........the 1LE looks so killer with the hood and with the updated grille and aft. The ZL1 imo also took well to the new rear, as it looks more aggressive, and the rear skirt works well with the plastic valence.

Its time for Chevy and GM to get back into taking risks and making bold and innovative strokes in their car designs. We've had too much of "staying the course" and "playing it safe".
I will have to agree with this post in regards to the "2008 for life" body of the Challenger. I could buy a 2008 and pass it off as a 2013.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #21
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
^yup. Its ashame too, because I happen to like the challenger. But even a good design goes bad if it doesn't at least grow or update after a couple of years.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Old 11-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #22
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
I agree with the comments about the Challenger. The concept Camaro rocked the world in 2006 and when Transformers came out in 2007...I believe it made up people's minds to have the Camaro.

I was so impressed I had to have the look of Bumblebee. The Camaro are changing and that's a good thing - I just wish I had enough money to buy more of them!
Old 11-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Quote:
Yes.

Seriously.

LEt's discuss your various comments.....

1. Headlamp doors. Many people feel that the 5th gen is too heavy.
Adding headlamp doors would add about 25-40 pounds with all the necessary
hardware and such....plus, I've yet to see a 1st gen Camaro with headlamp
doors that didn't have alignment problems with the doors to the grille.

nearly 90% of men and women chose the 1985 IROC.......!! Go figure. So - while you
might not like the 3rd gen car - it appears many more do!

3. A bubble car? The sheet metal on the 2014 is virtually the same as the 2010-2013,
other than the deck lid.........so I'm not sure what you're looking at.....

4. No hatch.

5. IROC won't be back at least for the forseeable future REGARDLESS of the fact
that people continue to ask us to use the name. We do not own it. SCCA does and the series
is no longer being run....(curious: do YOU know what it stands for?)

6. The "Fake grilles" in the hood as you call them are actually functional.....they aren't fake as you claim.......................

Lastly - you mention that the 5th gen looks like the 1st gen. When the car was designed, it was designed as a modern sports coupe...with a few classic styling cues. I think that's the magic of the 5th gen.......for old guys like me, we see the classic styling cues....while younger buyers don't see a retro-car ......rather, they see a 'kick-butt' looking car that turns heads no matter where you go. I've had people say "YOU GUYS SHOULD HAVE MADE THE CAR MORE LIKE THE 1969 CAMARO!....." - to which I question: "you mean, like Dodge did with their Challenger?...................so we could sell LESS cars????"

Just wanted to give you some serious facts on your remarks....

Some are questioning if you're a troll. I don't think you are.............but I do want to give you some stuff to consider.............
Only thing ill disagree with is #1. No matter how light weight you make the Camaro people will complain. Chevrolet is going to end up with a Camaro sized Aveo the more lightweight you make it.

Why not offer the headlamp covers as an option rather than standard?
Old 11-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #24
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post

Challenger is sexy. Exterior is refined and definitely nothing out there on the road that looks like it.

ZL1 should have kept the old tail light style but possibly made it like the Euro style or something redefined like the afterburner concept instead of going with the updated rear end. IMO.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #25
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Actually you'd be surprised how many people see a Challenger/Camaro and mistake it for a Camaro/Challenger.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #26
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
..still cannot overlook that hideously designed '14 tail-end, which can be mistaken for a challenger's rear end, but not earlier models.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #27
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
I have only seen the 2014 once , I actually drove to the dealership to look at them today and they do not have or ever had one to look at ??? Anyone else got a dealership with no 2014's on the lot ?
None of the dealerships around me
Old 11-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #28
gbmike

Drives: 2020 2SS Conv
Things change, they have to, I didn't like the redesign initially but it gradually grew on me. I've now ordered a white 2014 1LE, looks fantastic in that package, as someone else mentioned.

Closed Thread