Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Need direction re: tire replacement

Could anyone give me some direction regarding tire replacement? I currently have the Pirelli P Zeros on my 2012 2SS/RS. I would like to replace them with an all season tire. We got our 1st snow in the midwest this week and I was a little concerned about the tires, they didn't feel very stable in the snow/ice, and I think I read somewhere they are not recommended below 32 (?) degrees. I'm looking for something that is affordable, yet good looking. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Do not drive the P-Zeros in the snow... dangerous....

In the cold they are hard as a rock, and do not grip.

I have the General G-Max's, have not driven them in the snow yet, but the tread pattern is aggressive, and the price is very good.

Others will chime in.

Jim

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
Camaro57

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
From my understanding, the Continental DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow) all season tire is one of the best all season tires for handling snow but won't be anywhere near as good as a dedicated snow tire in snow.. I personally use the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires during the winter with excellent results and use the P zero tires during the warmer months. P zero tires should really not be used much below 45 degrees
Camaro57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
OregonRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
I just had the General G Max AS03's installed a couple of weeks ago to replace the P Zero's. So far so good. They have a unique looking tread pattern and a good tread wear rating. I have driven with them on dry roads and it the rain and they did well. I've read that they have a softer sidewall but I only drive on local highways and putting around town so I wasn't to concerned with that. Like most people I spent hours searching the web/forum looking at tires and so far I am happy I went with these. And they are priced pretty well too. Good Luck with your search!
Old 12-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post

I have the General G-Max's, have not driven them in the snow yet, but the tread pattern is aggressive, and the price is very good.

Others will chime in.

Jim
Thanks for the info. I would like to get some new tires on this next week before anymore bad weather. Not to mention that the last time I had my car in for an oil change, the guy took me in to show me a nail in each rear tire (in the rubber only) and said the right front was buckling.

He also said staggered tires wear out faster, is that true?
Old 12-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post

Others will chime in.

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonRS View Post
I just had the General G Max AS03's installed a couple of weeks ago to replace the P Zero's. So far so good. They have a unique looking tread pattern and a good tread wear rating. I have driven with them on dry roads and it the rain and they did well. I've read that they have a softer sidewall but I only drive on local highways and putting around town so I wasn't to concerned with that. Like most people I spent hours searching the web/forum looking at tires and so far I am happy I went with these. And they are priced pretty well too. Good Luck with your search!
I was just looking at the G Max tires and reading reviews. Most were favorable. Thanks for your input!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I installed General G-Max AS-03 two weeks ago. They have a much better ride than the P-Zeros. I don't find them any louder either. I haven't driven them in the snow so I can't speak to that aspect of the tire.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Continental DWS is what I put on my 2SS and I sent the Pirelli's off to Florida to live out the rest of their life. We've had one snow here in KC and my Camaro got around better on those than the Durango that I traded in on it ever did.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
I've always run summer tires, P zeros, n555r's, F1.s even in winter when there's no snow on the ground regardless of temps, they spin easily for sure but I know I've been pushing my luck so I just put the AS-03's on the rear, they ride nice but they feel real loose when cornering or switching lanes , in fact, they feel so loose in comparison that I'm getting ready to put it on the rack to make sure I didn't loose an endlink somewhere, if I did it's quite the coincidence.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
I installed General G-Max AS-03 two weeks ago. They have a much better ride than the P-Zeros. I don't find them any louder either. I haven't driven them in the snow so I can't speak to that aspect of the tire.
Thanks, that's good to know. In researching those, I've read a lot of reviews that say they are very loud.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I've always run summer tires, P zeros, n555r's, F1.s even in winter when there's no snow on the ground regardless of temps, they spin easily for sure but I know I've been pushing my luck so I just put the AS-03's on the rear, they ride nice but they feel real loose when cornering or switching lanes , in fact, they feel so loose in comparison that I'm getting ready to put it on the rack to make sure I didn't loose an endlink somewhere, if I did it's quite the coincidence.
Interesting. I haven't had one bit of an issue with the P Zeros in 30 and below temps or rain. The only time I've had an issue was the other night turning left at an intersection with maybe 1/2" to 1" of snow. Otherwise, no issues. But, because of the "buckling" the tire guy told me about and the nail in each rear tire, I thought it may be time to get new ones anyway.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBBS View Post
Continental DWS is what I put on my 2SS and I sent the Pirelli's off to Florida to live out the rest of their life. We've had one snow here in KC and my Camaro got around better on those than the Durango that I traded in on it ever did.
Oh awesome! I'm in KC too. That's the snow I was referring to we recently had. I slid slightly while turning left at an intersection.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
Interesting. I haven't had one bit of an issue with the P Zeros in 30 and below temps or rain. The only time I've had an issue was the other night turning left at an intersection with maybe 1/2" to 1" of snow. Otherwise, no issues. But, because of the "buckling" the tire guy told me about and the nail in each rear tire, I thought it may be time to get new ones anyway.
I never had problems as such on dry roads, no way in the snow. I do have mods, most likely around 500 hp with the above tires they'll break loose at 50-60 very easily when cold. 3600 converter most likely has a bit to do with it as well.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
Thanks for the info. I would like to get some new tires on this next week before anymore bad weather. Not to mention that the last time I had my car in for an oil change, the guy took me in to show me a nail in each rear tire (in the rubber only) and said the right front was buckling.
1. Did he pull the nails out?

2. I have never in over 40 years heard of a tire "buckling". I have heard of tires developing strange-looking localized sidewall bulges or tread distortions (generally caused by internal tire damage such as broken cords from a curb/pothole strike or belt separation). You would want to replace any tires with those kinds of damage ASAP.

Quote:
He also said staggered tires wear out faster, is that true?
Possibly, if it is caused by the inability to rotate your tires and your driving tends to beat up the tires on one end of the car more than the ones at the other (hard-driving straight line guys tear up rear tires way faster than fronts, while corner-carvers tend to use up front tires faster).

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote