Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) 427 Twin Turbo
XM lifetime transfer to new Mylink swap

I just recently swapped my factory radio out for a mylink and i got it all working except for the usb connection (if anyone has any ideas on that i would appreciate it also). But now i called xm to transfer my lifetime plan over to the new radio and they are refusing to do it. They state its for the lifetime of the vehicle and ive explained its the same vehicle. I spoke to a supervisor to explain the situation and they won't do anything for me they want me to pay for a new subscription. Anyone have this issue or any advice?

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS ERL 427 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Escalate the situation higher until you get someone who listens. Explain that its the same vehicle, just a replacement radio. Tell them your original radio broke and you replaced it with a new one.

Something similar happened to me with my Sirius lifetime plan. They refused because they couldn't grasp that my Sirius tuner on my aftermarket radio in my Suburban took a crap and I replaced it. Took talking to a few different people, but it all worked out.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
Blutob2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Early this year my Nissan was a lemon and I was able to trade in for a new model and XM allowed me to transfer my lifetime plan with no fee. However I was asked to provide the repurchase agreement from Nissan regarding the lemon law and the trade in.

If your old radio was indeed bad and you get a letter from Chevy then you should be able to get it transferred. If you swapped it out on your own then you can try and escalate but I doubt it will get resolved but definitely doesn't hurt to try.
Blutob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
SteveSneed

Drives: 2011 RS V6 Vert, 2017 Sportage SX-T
XM is a stickler on the lifetime subscriptions

When I bought my previous car ('08 SAAB 9-3 Aero conv) I paid the lifetime subscription. At that time the XM rep I spoke to about the subscription made very clear that the subscription was tied to the radio ID, not the vehicle, and was not transferable unless I had to replace the radio in which case proof of needing the new radio would be required (i.e. the dealer would have to certify that the subscribed radio was dead) and the "new" radio was the same make and model as the "dead" one.

Seems they're making sure that you can't replace your factory radio with an aftermarket one (or, in my own desired case, replace the original non-MyLink head with a newer MyLink touchscreen unit from MVI) and transfer the subscription. For that reason, I did the month-to-month deal with SXM until I can swap in the MVI unit, after which I'll do the lifetime. I definitely got my money's worth on the lifetime subscription for the SAAB, and have no reason to think I won't in my new Camaro.
SteveSneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
yea, companies got bent over with 'lifetime' offers in the 90's and 00's and started inserting fine print letting them out of their contracts.

-BFF has an unlimited GM card from the 80's still, it's so rare most dealers try to refuse it thinking it is fake
-The original Tivo Lifetime with Lifetime insurance
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote