Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 07-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Planetside 2 Trailer

BEHOLD! The next owner of my soul!

Details that were just mentioned at the SOE Fan Faire last night:

Massive combat on an epic scale (the words "thousands of players per battle" were mentioned)
Seamless persistent world (original planetside has continents that you can go between, but there is a loading screen from one to the next)
3 empires to fight for (just like the original Planetside)
Empires gain resources for holding territory, which can be used to upgrade vehicles and bases etc.
Destructible environments (while not mentioned specifically for Planetside 2, this was a major feature of the engine that runs Planetside 2 that was talked about shortly before the game)

Actually, here, just watch the dang video
Old 07-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Oh man this is a tossup. I hate SOE, but loved planetside. This might be something I end up trying out.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Isnt Planetside a skill based game with an unlimited amount of upgrades and skill improvement?

I had friends who played it and loved it. Im very interested in this

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
irocnroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk View Post
Isnt Planetside a skill based game with an unlimited amount of upgrades and skill improvement?

I had friends who played it and loved it. Im very interested in this
There were armor upgrades, weapon upgrades and chip enhancements. The original was an MMOFPS style game of capturing bases and planets. It was awesome back in the day. Had ground and air vehicles you could get certifications for. Very extensive.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
Hopefully there is an open beta. I used to get into all the closed betas for SOE but I haven't had an active SOE account in ages. But I want to try it out before I buy into it. Planetside was really fun when it came out but it got stale after a while.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamaro View Post
Hopefully there is an open beta. I used to get into all the closed betas for SOE but I haven't had an active SOE account in ages. But I want to try it out before I buy into it. Planetside was really fun when it came out but it got stale after a while.
We've heard several times directly from Smed (sony's CEO) that current Planetside subscribers will be the first invited in for the beta Can't wait for that to happen!

Also, it seems so far that they are emphasizing the dev team will be listening intently to feedback from fans. So here's hoping SOE is turning a new leaf and won't disappoint!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Brokinarrow

New video posted today that was made for SOE's Asian partner, The 9. Shows off game play footage, and DAMN it is looking good! Hoping the beta will be starting up early this year!

-edit- updated HD version of the same video.

Last edited by Brokinarrow; 01-13-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Brokinarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Brokinarrow

New gameplay footage from the GDC, game is looking awesome!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
irocnroll

So how large are the maps and number of players it can handle at any given time per planet? He made it seem like only a hundred or so would be playing on the planet. Thats about 33 per faction if you have 3 teams fighting over a base. Not like the 100's per team that Planetside 1 had.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
So how large are the maps and number of players it can handle at any given time per planet? He made it seem like only a hundred or so would be playing on the planet. Thats about 33 per faction if you have 3 teams fighting over a base. Not like the 100's per team that Planetside 1 had.
Devs have been quoted multiple times as saying the battles will be bigger than PS1, and they are aiming at supporting around 1000 players per continent. As for map (continent) size, from what I've seen it should be similar to the continents in the first Planetside. I've heard the figure 8 km by 8 km thrown around a bit.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
irocnroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Devs have been quoted multiple times as saying the battles will be bigger than PS1, and they are aiming at supporting around 1000 players per continent. As for map (continent) size, from what I've seen it should be similar to the continents in the first Planetside. I've heard the figure 8 km by 8 km thrown around a bit.
Awesome. I might go ahead and pick this up then when its released. Are they still planning on the whole Free to play strategy?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #12
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Awesome. I might go ahead and pick this up then when its released. Are they still planning on the whole Free to play strategy?
Yup, ENTIRELY free to play, no purchase necessary Just have to download the game through Station or Planetside 2's page (haven't heard which route they're going with that yet) and voila. Though I will go ahead and point out for those that don't know: Microtransactions for the game will be for cosmetic stuff or what they refer to as "side graded" weapons... basically, if you can buy a weapon it won't be any more powerful than what you already have in game, just slightly different in either looks or function. No "pay to win" option thankfully.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
irocnroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Yup, ENTIRELY free to play, no purchase necessary Just have to download the game through Station or Planetside 2's page (haven't heard which route they're going with that yet) and voila. Though I will go ahead and point out for those that don't know: Microtransactions for the game will be for cosmetic stuff or what they refer to as "side graded" weapons... basically, if you can buy a weapon it won't be any more powerful than what you already have in game, just slightly different in either looks or function. No "pay to win" option thankfully.
Not even an initial purchase for the software? Are they expecting to pay for the production solely on micro-transactions?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Not even an initial purchase for the software? Are they expecting to pay for the production solely on micro-transactions?
They're saying they're going to offer a monthly subscription option as well, which I can see a lot of the hardcore Planetside fans (myself included) buying into. They have yet to lock down the specifics, but they've said it'll include faster certification gains (think EVE online style skill certs) and access to the micro stores cosmetic stuff I believe. Personally, i hope they at least offer a collectors edition box set or something for us fans.