Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
Your recommendation?

Hey Guys,

I just got a K&N 63 Intake and LOVE IT!! It was my first performance mod and now I am addicted. The sound is much better than stock and I think my next upgrade is going to be a muffler. I don't have a large budget so I figured going to a local muffler shop I would get a good value.

What do you recommend for a muffler? I am looking for something that will really boost my HP but I don't want any drone. In fact, I don't really want anything much louder than my intake.

Suggestions?
TheGhosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
No mods for these cars unfortunately are cheap. I love my Borla Axle back exhaust. It is a reasonably priced system as exhausts go, drone is limited, sound is much deeper but still just as quiet at idle & cruise. You get a good sound at WOT & start up but not obnoxiously loud. The change also took of like 30 lbs from the rear and of my Camaro! You will get lots of opinions but you sound like you want pretty much what I did. Talk to Apex Chase -send him a PM. I was a total newby when I first got my Camaro (still pretty newby) and he was very good at talking to me about what I wanted & helping me find just the right system. He will get you a good price & ship fast too. You can have any reputable shop install.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148671
Good luck deciding.
Here is a link to a video clip Chase did of my exhaust. Listen with headphones.

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 10-15-2012 at 06:51 AM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
If you doing mufflers because of hp, I wouldn't do it. No exhaust setup will give you a noticeable hp increase. If you doing it for sound and you don't want loud and want to minimize the chance of drone, I would look at magnaflow or borla. If you decide your going to weld the mufflers anyway, I would look at making a custom axle-back. I have a borla axle-back. I didn't buy it from a vendor but instead decided to make my own. I found the mufflers I wanted on ebay for about half the price everyone else was asking for them. I then took them to my local shop and had them put on. I ended up paying 250 for my welded axle-back. It's quiet and has no drone whatsoever. On idle its quiet and when it turns on its louder than stock for a minute but then gets quiet once the car warms up. But when I step on it, it sounds really really good.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The stock mufflers actually flow very well, they are just ugly, heavy, and do not sound good. Because they flow so well you will not see much in the way of power but, like Ruby Mentioned, you will drop a good chunk of weight and improve the way the car sounds. The Borla axle back system that Ruby has and the MRT v2 are the two most popular. Both have a deeper tone and minimal drone. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
TheGhosty

lscamaro, thank you for the reply!! I think that is exactly what I am going to do. I think I will go in and talk with the muffler guys and make sure they can intall before buying the muffler tho. Seems like a great deal for a great sound. Do you know what size you got?

If you could even post the ebay listing that would be great! thanks man
Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
lscamaro

I got a borla pro xs muffler. What type of sound are you looking for?

Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
TheGhosty

I want something deep. I know I can't get the v8 sound but that it what I like. I also want something relativity quite. I don't want to hear it too much unless I put my foot in it. How does yours compare?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
lscamaro

Well the exhaust I have sounds deep when cruising and in low rpms. But in the high rpms, it sounds higher pitched. But sadly, that's what every exhaust is going to do anyway. You may be able to mimic the low tone of a v8 in the lower rpms but when you get into the higher rpms, you'll hear the higher pitch of the v8.

If you go to the link below and watch the last video, which is without headers, mine sounded exactly like that. Maybe a little deeper but the video was probably 99% accurate

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112386

Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
^ long tube headers really help produce a low rumble but that's a different story
Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin's Bee View Post
^ long tube headers really help produce a low rumble but that's a different story
Yes, headers will give you the deep tone but I was referring to a video without headers

Tags
budget, drone, muffler, v6 auto