Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #141
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx1Lt View Post
N00b question again... Is this done with the car off the ground? Thanks for the quick response too!
Yes and no. The rears are easy in the air with the ebrake on and the car in gear. The fronts spin free so you get them as tight as you can and as even as you can before you start to lower it. When you lower it don't go all the way down and tighten some more. All we are doing is making sure the wheel is centered and the lug nut evenly torqued. If the wheel doesn't self center, if it isn't hub-centric we can get it centered using this methodology and eliminate a variable.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #142
Red 2010 Camaro

Drives: Red 2010 Camaro
Wheel Offset Changes VS Alighnment Question? Please Help

I have a 2010 Camaro 1LT that I have installed C-6 Corvette Wheels using billet wheel adapters with a bolt circle dia. change from the Camaro 120mm. bolt circle to the 4.750 bolt circle of the Corvette.

The Corvette wheel sizes I am using are a 19 by 10 in. wheel for the rear, and an 18 by 8.5 in. wheel for the front. The factory OEM wheel offsets for the car with the optional 19 by 8 in. wheel are 38mm.

Using a 34 mm. wheel adapter for the rear wheel gives you a NEW wheel offset of 45mm. and using a 26mm. wheel adapter for the front wheels gives you a NEW wheel offset of 30mm.

With a CHANGE of only 8mm. offset in the front,and a CHANGE of only 7mm. in the rear,both of the new wheel offsets are less than 3/8 ths. of an in.

With the Corvette wheels installed on the car, you cannot tell that there has been an offset change, and the new set up looks fantastic.

My question is, will changing the factory wheel offsets from 38mm. to 45mm. in the rear, and 30mm. in the front cause uneven tire wear to the inside or outside corners of the tires?

My son who drives a 2006 CTS-V Cadillac is telling me that because you are changing the TOE SETTINGS it will, and that a four wheel laser alighnment WILL be necessary to prevent the uneven tire wear.

To those of you out there who are afraid or using wheel adapters , I had them on my Lingenfelter built 2003 Corvette ZO6 with 570 HP. at the flywheel, and 502 hp. at the drive wheels for over 5 years, and NEVER had an issue with them. By the way the car saw many track day with speeds in excess of 130 mph. Make SURE you are using a high quality BILLET wheel adapter, and that is installed correctly,and check the ALL of the lug nuts using the correct TORQUE OFTEN!

Any help with the uneven tire wear question do to the NEW wheel offsets, would be much appreciated.

All The Best,

Red 2010 Camaro

dwparrish2003@yahoo.com
Red 2010 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #143
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
V6 track / street alignment

Any suggestions for my set up would be great! It's a V6 with a SS rear diff and the following suspension parts:

Springs (~1")
Sways
End Links
Rear Trailing Arms & Bushings
Control Arm Bushings

20x9 wheels up front, 20x10 in the rear. 255x35 tires in front, 305x35 tires in the back.

The car is a daily driver, however I go to the drag strip about 10 times a year. I plan to start Auto-x the car, mainly for fun nothing too serious. However with that said I would like the focus to be more on handling than straight line drag racing. Nothing too major that is going to cause extreme tire wear. I understand that there will be more though if I want to focus on handling, I just don't want to go balls to the wall.

RWHP is right around 350.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #144
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 2010 Camaro View Post
I have a 2010 Camaro 1LT that I have installed C-6 Corvette Wheels using billet wheel adapters with a bolt circle dia. change from the Camaro 120mm. bolt circle to the 4.750 bolt circle of the Corvette.

The Corvette wheel sizes I am using are a 19 by 10 in. wheel for the rear, and an 18 by 8.5 in. wheel for the front. The factory OEM wheel offsets for the car with the optional 19 by 8 in. wheel are 38mm.

Using a 34 mm. wheel adapter for the rear wheel gives you a NEW wheel offset of 45mm. and using a 26mm. wheel adapter for the front wheels gives you a NEW wheel offset of 30mm.

With a CHANGE of only 8mm. offset in the front,and a CHANGE of only 7mm. in the rear,both of the new wheel offsets are less than 3/8 ths. of an in.

With the Corvette wheels installed on the car, you cannot tell that there has been an offset change, and the new set up looks fantastic.

My question is, will changing the factory wheel offsets from 38mm. to 45mm. in the rear, and 30mm. in the front cause uneven tire wear to the inside or outside corners of the tires?

My son who drives a 2006 CTS-V Cadillac is telling me that because you are changing the TOE SETTINGS it will, and that a four wheel laser alighnment WILL be necessary to prevent the uneven tire wear.

To those of you out there who are afraid or using wheel adapters , I had them on my Lingenfelter built 2003 Corvette ZO6 with 570 HP. at the flywheel, and 502 hp. at the drive wheels for over 5 years, and NEVER had an issue with them. By the way the car saw many track day with speeds in excess of 130 mph. Make SURE you are using a high quality BILLET wheel adapter, and that is installed correctly,and check the ALL of the lug nuts using the correct TORQUE OFTEN!

Any help with the uneven tire wear question do to the NEW wheel offsets, would be much appreciated.

All The Best,

Red 2010 Camaro

dwparrish2003@yahoo.com
When you change wheel offsets you are changing the scrub radius. With the change you have or have planned I wouldn't worry about it. Get your 5th Gen aligned to a tight spec Pedders Aggressive Street. Enjoy.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #145
Texas2SS
Vroom

Drives: Rarely
Anyone care to add their professional suggestion on correct alignment would be much appreciated.

2011 camaro SS
Split drop( 1.4" front. 1"rear)
Full bushings
Trailing arms & toe rods
Sways and end links
Rear camber and toe eccentrics

Usually ride around on 18" Forgestars 245/40/18 front and 305/45/18 rear. Rarely drive with few drag strip days year.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #146
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2SS View Post
Anyone care to add their professional suggestion on correct alignment would be much appreciated.

2011 camaro SS
Split drop( 1.4" front. 1"rear)
Full bushings
Trailing arms & toe rods
Sways and end links
Rear camber and toe eccentrics

Usually ride around on 18" Forgestars 245/40/18 front and 305/45/18 rear. Rarely drive with few drag strip days year.
The Aggressive Street will work for you. With the OE rear camber eccentrics you won't be able to get to 0 rear camber. Have the tech work to get as close to 0 as possible.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #147
Texas2SS
Vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The Aggressive Street will work for you. With the OE rear camber eccentrics you won't be able to get to 0 rear camber. Have the tech work to get as close to 0 as possible.

Sorry, should have specified. I have your rear camber and toe eccentrics.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #148
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
what kinda alignment do i need to drag racing, i dont drive hard in curves at all normal driving . looking for a good drag racing aligment . normal ride height and 1" lower . as my dads camaro is lowered.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #149
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2SS View Post
Sorry, should have specified. I have your rear camber and toe eccentrics.
AESOME! Follow the sheet exactly.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #150
Texas2SS
Vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
AESOME! Follow the sheet exactly.
Much appreciated!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #151
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
what kinda alignment do i need to drag racing, i dont drive hard in curves at all normal driving . looking for a good drag racing aligment . normal ride height and 1" lower . as my dads camaro is lowered.
Here are the Drag Specs.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #152
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I've sifted thru this thread and want to make sure I'm on the right track with things.

I'll have a 13' 1LE with BMR 1" lowering springs and most likely won't see much if any track time because of where I live. I want to be sure when things are done and the car gets aligned the tech is working with the correct specs. Should I be looking for a bit different spec than factory or what?
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #153
Raptor3141

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS RJT M6
JusticePete,

I will be installing a set of BMR Split Lowering Springs (1.4" Front and 1" Rear). I intend to install them myself but, I am concerned about clocking the bushings. I understand the concept and procedure. I am just trying to figure out how to re-torque the bolts with the car's weight on the wheels and no drive on lift. I mean, it's tough to get to anything under the car at stock height and once its lowered, even worse.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have the following instructions that you posted earlier in this thread.

Bush Timing

Step 1. Lift the car on a two post lift and raise it.

Step 2. Loosen the following bolts/nuts:
Front:
---Inner Control Arm Bushing
---Inner Radius Rod
Rear:
---Trailing Arm Bushings (both ends)
---Toe Rod Bushings (both ends)
---Lower Control Arm Bushings (Inner)
---Upper Control Arm Bushings (Rearward)
---Lower Strut Bushings

-- Drive it around the parking lot slowly and onto the alignment rack.
-- Re-torgue bolts.

Alignment (Street use only)

Front
Caster: No Factory Adjustment
Camber: -.75
Toe: ZERO

Rear
Camber: ZERO or as close to ZERO as possible
Toe: IN .10

Improved rear tire wear, better on center steering feel all round better driving feel.
Raptor3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #154
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor3141 View Post
JusticePete,

I will be installing a set of BMR Split Lowering Springs (1.4" Front and 1" Rear). I intend to install them myself but, I am concerned about clocking the bushings. I understand the concept and procedure. I am just trying to figure out how to re-torque the bolts with the car's weight on the wheels and no drive on lift. I mean, it's tough to get to anything under the car at stock height and once its lowered, even worse.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have the following instructions that you posted earlier in this thread.

Bush Timing

Step 1. Lift the car on a two post lift and raise it.

Step 2. Loosen the following bolts/nuts:
Front:
---Inner Control Arm Bushing
---Inner Radius Rod
Rear:
---Trailing Arm Bushings (both ends)
---Toe Rod Bushings (both ends)
---Lower Control Arm Bushings (Inner)
---Upper Control Arm Bushings (Rearward)
---Lower Strut Bushings

-- Drive it around the parking lot slowly and onto the alignment rack.
-- Re-torgue bolts.

Alignment (Street use only)

Front
Caster: No Factory Adjustment
Camber: -.75
Toe: ZERO

Rear
Camber: ZERO or as close to ZERO as possible
Toe: IN .10

Improved rear tire wear, better on center steering feel all round better driving feel.
Do you have access to a lift?