Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #29
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
If it were like the one I have in my Subaru where it disengages at a certain point when letting the clutch back in, then it'd be cool. However it sounds like it's more complicated then that, so not much of a step forward.

That said, I've only a couple of hills that I am ever on that would see much benefit. It is annoying to have the auto people on my tail, though, so I usually do some rocking at a light.
On Order: Ported IM
Future Plans: Airlift Suspension - CF Driveshaft - 9in IRS - SC FI - Brembo Brakes - more Pfadt
Team
LLT
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
The way I see it, the biggest fear for manual transmission drivers are hills. It takes practice to do a perfect start without roasting the clutch, rolling backwards (or forwards) and/or stalling the vehicle. What better way to eliminate a large fear, improve safety, and make manual transmissions more "loveable" in a market that typically doesn't favor them. GM did a very good thing here.

I've been driving manual trans cars for years and while I don't really NEED a parking brake or hill assist program to help me, I've fallen in love with this feature. Especially in a Jeep, it keeps it from rocking or rolling back into objects/rocks when wheeling.

In a way I wish my 2011 SS had this. I made posts about it a long time ago...maybe GM saw them and listened, or finally caught on to the competition, who knows. But, I guess my SS will just keep me in good practice for the "do-it-yourself" hill starts
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #31
Carls2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS/RS M6
I had this on my 2007 Mini Cooper S, the "hill assist" would disengage with forward movement or 1.5 sec which ever came first... i loved it , and it saves "slippin" the hell out of the clutch
Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #32
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
I don't like it. Never will.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #33
simoneves

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS vert (soon)
I still would like to hear from any other '13 M6 owners on this.

My question is whether the brakes release AS SOON AS the clutch bites, or if you always have to wait the full 2 seconds after taking your foot off the brake.

My 2009 BMW 128i behaves the first way, as did the 1997 Subaru Impreza I had for a while a few years ago. Intuitively, this seems like how it should work, and after 25 years of driving other manual cars without it, it never gave me cause to think in either car.

The other way seems stupid, as (a) it makes you wait, and (b) you're STILL going to have to sit there with the clutch biting (and therefore wearing out) otherwise you're still going to roll back when the brakes DO come off!

I've found posts on the Chevy Sonic forums which apparently has the same system, but they're not clear on this point either.
simoneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #34
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If it doesn't release when the clutch starts to pull the car forward then perhaps it is just a software issue that they can correct?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #35

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Just an observation...never had a hill assist...always had manuals...its a good idea...from the posts here it seems if you are at 1k rpm, there is no hold/delay in the brake releasing to go forward...I think I could live with that...If it's steep enough to need the hill assist, then 1k rpm sounds about right to avoid stalling or going backward...Some of us can do it with less rpms, but maybe not everybody with the ss motor...I stalled mine a lot at first, at low rpm, even on flats...just sayin'...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #36
hopin to cash

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS INFERNO ORANGE
Have 350 miles on our 2013 2SS with Hurst and the hill assist is incredible. My wife and I love this car and will post pictures soon. The 2013 Camaro has won our hearts. We are Camaro virgins living a dream right now. Simply can't get enough of watching people turn there heads to look. OUR 13 SS Inferno Orange, Hurst shifter, Black stripes, Dual exhaust (incredible sound) is simply the greatest car ever manufactured. I just want to go on and on... we havn't slept in over week since getting it. We run into each other in the garage at all hours of the night just looking at it.
hopin to cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #37
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the brake disengage when you either let the clutch out or hit the gas? I drove a fuzion (yeah fail I know, but it was a loaner car) and it had the hill assist thing. I honestly never noticed it. But it's a lot of flatland around here too...
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #38
dwinva

Drives: 13 2SS/RSvert,CRT,dual-mode exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopin to cash View Post
Have 350 miles on our 2013 2SS with Hurst and the hill assist is incredible. My wife and I love this car and will post pictures soon. The 2013 Camaro has won our hearts. We are Camaro virgins living a dream right now. Simply can't get enough of watching people turn there heads to look. OUR 13 SS Inferno Orange, Hurst shifter, Black stripes, Dual exhaust (incredible sound) is simply the greatest car ever manufactured. I just want to go on and on... we havn't slept in over week since getting it. We run into each other in the garage at all hours of the night just looking at it.

"We run into each other in the garage at all hours...", is that what the kids are calling it these days? Hey, whatever you and the missus do to keep your marriage fresh is none of our business. Enjoy.
dwinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #39
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
I wish I had sometimes.....
Old 07-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #40
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Is there a way to deactivate the feature? Is it part of Stabilitrak? Sorry bad spelling

On page 9-39 in your owner's manual it states:

StabiliTrak® System
The vehicle has an electronic stability control system called StabiliTrak. It is an advanced computer controlled system that assists with directional control of the vehicle in difficult driving conditions. StabiliTrak activates when the computer senses a discrepancy between the intended path and the direction the vehicle is actually traveling. StabiliTrak selectively applies braking pressure at any one of the vehicle's brakes to help steer the vehicle in the direction which you are steering.

To turn the system off, press and release the TCS/StabiliTrak button located on the console in front of the shift lever.

However, it does not state whether or not hill assist is involved in this function.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #41
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinva View Post
Definitely does NOT deactivate when the accelerator is pressed. It's possible it does so at a certain threshold (RPM) but as said earlier, I generally don't go above 1000 RPM when starting, so maybe I am not reaching that threshold. Just by pressing the accelerator to deactivate does not make a lot of sense to me, though...unless it is tied to the motion of the car. If I gave it plenty of gas but hardly released the clutch it seems the car would still roll, thus negating the feature. Just my two cents worth.
have you ever been on a steep hill? And I usually ring my car up about 2k Rpms at least, otherwise the shift to second is gonna big pretty damn bad...
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #42
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Looks like all the bay area people are speaking up. SF is a horrible place to drive a stick. The people behind you are the worst.
Steve mcqueen in his 68 mustang and bad guy in the 68 charger seemed to have no problem driving sticks in san franciso.

Check out the 28 Chevy Sedan at 2:15 in. Probably was a daily driver then.

Last edited by shrinkdoc; 07-24-2012 at 08:41 PM.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote