Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #29
Sleepy

Drives: 2011 LS M6 SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
gM is a big fan of soft springs and big bars they always have been.
Someone at GM is apparently unaware that the bigger the bar, the less "independent" the suspension becomes and ride quality can go to crap just like it does with stiff springs.
I agree completely. I don't think more than 50% of roll stiffness should come from bars. It'll be better if they increase both springs and bars rates equally. Maybe there is a corporate limit on suspension frequency at GM that I don't know about. Wouldn't it be cool if fbodfather comes in here and answer some of these questions?
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #30
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
I didn't ask for it but I can. The current SS diff is $1821.43 though. prepare to pay a bit more for a complete 1LE diff. XD The 2012 front endlinks are much thicker and use larger 12mm studs instead of the 10mm used on the 2010 links.
End link studs are same 10mm.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #31
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
They're pretty good prices, better than what I would have thought. Though the rear shock mount pricing is odd. They are the correct numbers but one is twice the price of the other. It makes me wonder if its differnt, or and error in pricing.
One is listed as an SS and 1LE part number while the other is 1LE and ZL1 specific so something isn't right. Why would only one mount be different?
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #32
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
gM is a big fan of soft springs and big bars they always have been.
Someone at GM is apparently unaware that the bigger the bar, the less "independent" the suspension becomes and ride quality can go to crap just like it does with stiff springs.
Actually pal not so at all. Even the Pedders ZL-1 bar isn't so bad. I now have the ZL-1 stocker in the rear of my car and even with Pedders stiffer swaybar bushings the car handles very well and still has compliant suspension. No twisting, breaking my rear motions going on when I pull into gas stations sideways.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #33
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
One is listed as an SS and 1LE part number while the other is 1LE and ZL1 specific so something isn't right. Why would only one mount be different?
It shouldn't be, both were supposed to be ZL1 mounts when I got the numbers. I asked to have them verified because somethings just not right.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #34
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
End link studs are same 10mm.
Ok, someone else posted on another thread that they were larger 12mm studs. Thanks for clarifying.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #35
ayceman

Drives: 2007 Dodge Charger SXT, 2010 2SS
Nice cant wait to see what it will take to fit the rear dampers on my 2010 SS.
ayceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #36
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Is it true some of these anti effects causes undesirable behaviors? I have heard of WRX understeers on power during corner exit because of anti-dive. I don't really understand how they are related but Whiteline has a kit on the market to eliminate anti-dive for that car.
On any end of a car that provides both acceleration and braking there are two 'anti' effects, not just one. One deals with geometric resistance to suspension movement under braking, the other during acceleration. Unfortunately, in what I'll call "simple" suspension arrangements*** it is not possible to tweak one without affecting the other, and it is common for improvements sought by increasing one of the anti's to adversely affect the other one on that axle.

Up front, anti-dive is normally present for various reasons, and this forces some of the forward load transfer to go through the front suspension linkage directly. This fraction of the forward LT does not cause or contribute to nose dive, and happens almost instantaneously (does not have to wait for springs to compress or damper pistons to reach some velocity). The flip side is "anti-rise" - anti-dive's sometimes evil twin - and when the force at the contact patch is for acceleration rather than braking, some portion of the vertical tire loading is yanked away without the suspension being allowed to extend to fully compensate. This obviously lowers the total amount of front grip available, and then you're going ahead to use some of what's left for longitudinal acceleration so lateral grip suffers . . . you'd then expect that by removing some of the anti-dive you'd reduce the power-on understeer by the difference in the geometric effect.

FWIW, the same sort of thing goes on at the rear axle, with anti-squat having its evil twin in anti-lift. Most people who have autocrossed certain years of LS-powered 4th Gens know more about brake hop than they probably cared to, and anti-lift is part of that. You still have both of these anti's with your IRS, but it's unlikely that a 5th Gen is going to get into brake hop.

*** You'll find some "not-so-simple" suspensions, where the anti effects can be separated and more or less tuned separately. Mostly you'll see this in places like dirt track racing, although Unbalanced Engineering at least used to offer a "decoupled torque arm" for the 4th gen cars. There is some cost in both mechanical and setup complexity, and there may be other compromises as well.

Mark Ortiz sends out a free "Chassis Newsletter" on roughly a monthly basis that covers topics such as this.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #37
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Upfront, struts are the standard economy car stuff. Very little negative camber gain on compression. Not so good for cornering or lowering but with the Camaro, we get to relocate two ball joints instead of one if we want to correct the geometry for lower ride height. I can't complaining. This is expected for the price of this car. I am happy with it.
Not sure I'm following this, unless you're talking about correcting the rear geometry.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #38
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayceman View Post
Nice cant wait to see what it will take to fit the rear dampers on my 2010 SS.
All you should need is the dampers and shock mounts. You'll only need to change the rear control arm if your changing sway bars as well. Then getting the new toe links is up to you.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #39
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Correct rear shock mount part numbers posted. $49.01 each.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #40
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
On any end of a car that provides both acceleration and braking there are two 'anti' effects, not just one. One deals with geometric resistance to suspension movement under braking, the other during acceleration. Unfortunately, in what I'll call "simple" suspension arrangements*** it is not possible to tweak one without affecting the other, and it is common for improvements sought by increasing one of the anti's to adversely affect the other one on that axle.

Up front, anti-dive is normally present for various reasons, and this forces some of the forward load transfer to go through the front suspension linkage directly. This fraction of the forward LT does not cause or contribute to nose dive, and happens almost instantaneously (does not have to wait for springs to compress or damper pistons to reach some velocity). The flip side is "anti-rise" - anti-dive's sometimes evil twin - and when the force at the contact patch is for acceleration rather than braking, some portion of the vertical tire loading is yanked away without the suspension being allowed to extend to fully compensate. This obviously lowers the total amount of front grip available, and then you're going ahead to use some of what's left for longitudinal acceleration so lateral grip suffers . . . you'd then expect that by removing some of the anti-dive you'd reduce the power-on understeer by the difference in the geometric effect.

FWIW, the same sort of thing goes on at the rear axle, with anti-squat having its evil twin in anti-lift. Most people who have autocrossed certain years of LS-powered 4th Gens know more about brake hop than they probably cared to, and anti-lift is part of that. You still have both of these anti's with your IRS, but it's unlikely that a 5th Gen is going to get into brake hop.

*** You'll find some "not-so-simple" suspensions, where the anti effects can be separated and more or less tuned separately. Mostly you'll see this in places like dirt track racing, although Unbalanced Engineering at least used to offer a "decoupled torque arm" for the 4th gen cars. There is some cost in both mechanical and setup complexity, and there may be other compromises as well.

Mark Ortiz sends out a free "Chassis Newsletter" on roughly a monthly basis that covers topics such as this.

Norm
Thanks for clarifying it. I enjoying learning these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Not sure I'm following this, unless you're talking about correcting the rear geometry.

Norm
I was referring to the front lower control arms and front radius arms. I believe BMW 3 series also use double ball joint MacPherson strut design similar to Camaro. Is there any advantage to this design? Looks like it increases the kingpin inclination angle and move dave point out. I am guessing better on center steering feel and straight line stability are the benefits.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #41
Sleez

Drives: 2010, 2LT, RS, 6M, ABM (#1893) SOLD
Quote:
Correct rear shock mount part numbers posted. $49.01 each.
corrected on price list as well, thanks.

that makes more sense!
Sleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #42
Sleepy

Quote:
Thanks to MS3DALE, I was able to get a hold of the FE6 parts numbers from the 1LE. I know some of you are eager to get your hands on them so I'm going to share. I also marked each one to show what packages also use those parts so no one orders something they already have!

Strut Tower Brace (LT, SS, 1LE) - 22756880
Wheel Hubs (ZL1, 1LE) (4) - 25954415
Front Coil Spring (SS, 1LE) (2) - 92245257
Front Strut (1LE) (passenger side) - 22812984
Front Strut (1LE) (drivers side) - 22812985
Front Sway Bar (1LE) - 22812946
Front Sway End Link (SS, ZL1, 1LE) (passenger side) - 22842515
Front Sway End Link (SS, ZL1, 1LE) (drivers side) - 22842516
Rear Shock Mount (1LE) (passenger side upper) - 22922446
Rear Shock Mount (1LE) (driver side upper) - 22922445
Rear Coil Spring (SS, 1LE) (2) - 92195466
Rear Shocks (1LE) (2) - 22812987
Rear Sway Bar (ZL1, 1LE) - 22786260
Rear Sway Bar Endlink (SS, ZL1, 1LE) (2) - 22761221
Rear Lower Control Arm (SS, ZL1, 1LE) (2) - 20942237 (Needed for 2010-2011 car conversion)
Rear Toe Link (ZL1, 1LE) (2) - 22845487
GM PART # 25954415
CATEGORY: Rear Wheel Hub/Knuckle

We only need 2 of these. They are expensive though. I wonder why they are different from SS. To connect to the beefier 1LE and ZL1 axle? Will I still need this if I don't upgrade the diff and axle? nak3dsnake thanks for putting this list together.