Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 04-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
arkay.wgl

Drives: rolls roice
Smile Official Learn To Drive Manual Cars Thread

Purpose
Recently I have seen several questions about manual driving basics, and I have posted a thread where I was grilled for my driving mistakes. I thought a compilation list of both good techniques and bad techniques should be posted and hopefully as a sticky.

There's a lot of people who do not know about double-clutching, rev-matching, or people who roll around in neutral (like me in turns )

Let this be the complete guide to driving a manual car

Post links to articles, videos, etc

Rules of the thread
This is not a bashing thread, or a "you dont know how to drive for shit" thread. This is a thread to discuss techniques whether they're wrong or correct driving techniques, and a thread to answer manual-driving related questions

finally...
Request to forum Mods
if this doesnt go out of control, and doesnt turn into a bashing thread could you make it a sticky please?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
SMARTLIPO MPX
anadrol

Last edited by arkay.wgl; 04-04-2010 at 07:18 AM.
arkay.wgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
60' time

M6 is a tough deal to get it to 60', a good driver can get a M6 to 60' @ 2 seconds flat. Without the good 60' time your final ET will suck. My best ET so far is 13.91 @ 111 mph 2.6 60' , left 6 10ths on the table. The best 60' to date is 2.3 but messed up the big end. Short shiffting is suppose to be important. By looking at Dyno sheet it starts to flaten out about 5700 rpm.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
comm54
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2SS/RS IBM M6-when she lets me

I like your way of thinking!
I have seen several threads and I was interested in what others might say, so far, I have been dissappointed. With that said, I know that it may be hard to explain proper driving techinics but some simple pointers would be nice.

Here's an example: What should you do when you are sitting at a stoplight.
I have noticed that some people will sit at the light with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor waiting for the light to change. I have always been told to put the shifter into neutral and release the clutch pedal. When you hold the clutch pedal down the clutch plates are engaged and will cause additional wear on the cluctch plates. This is my opinion and I welcome any other opinions that confirm or deny what I have said...

The other problem that I see here is that normal daily driving and racing techinics vary greatly, so the best thing to do is to find a track event and get some professional instrution, the Hurst/B&M event on May 17th will be a great for this...

I know that we have some Very Smart people on this forum so I look forward to reading what others will say, and Thanks!!!
:flag2:
Old 04-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by comm54 View Post

I like your way of thinking!
I have seen several threads and I was interested in what others might say, so far, I have been dissappointed. With that said, I know that it may be hard to explain proper driving techinics but some simple pointers would be nice.

Here's an example: What should you do when you are sitting at a stoplight.
I have noticed that some people will sit at the light with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor waiting for the light to change. I have always been told to put the shifter into neutral and release the clutch pedal. When you hold the clutch pedal down the clutch plates are engaged and will cause additional wear on the cluctch plates. This is my opinion and I welcome any other opinions that confirm or deny what I have said...

The other problem that I see here is that normal daily driving and racing techinics vary greatly, so the best thing to do is to find a track event and get some professional instrution, the Hurst/B&M event on May 17th will be a great for this...

I know that we have some Very Smart people on this forum so I look forward to reading what others will say, and Thanks!!!
I pull it out of gear at a light. Even use the E brake on a incline. Tend to have tunes up loud, hard to hear RPM and have stalled it a few times on an incline.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
comm54
SoCal C5 Family Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
M6 is a tough deal to get it to 60', a good driver can get a M6 to 60' @ 2 seconds flat. Without the good 60' time your final ET will suck. My best ET so far is 13.91 @ 111 mph 2.6 60' , left 6 10ths on the table. The best 60' to date is 2.3 but messed up the big end. Short shiffting is suppose to be important. By looking at Dyno sheet it starts to flaten out about 5700 rpm.

I went the the drag strip for the first time this weekend!!!

I totally sucked off the line and I must have been taking a nap when the lights came on.

My first run was 13.7 and my second run was 13.5 @ 107mph
I tried to use the Launch Control but I did something wrong?!? I had to wait for the rpm's to come back down before I could leave so I left it on the line again...

I reccommend that everyone take their car to the local darg strip, road course, or whatever and drive your car the way it was Meant to be driven...

Please don't missunderstand me, I am saying take your car to a safe/ticket free environment and Learn what You and Your Car CAN Do!

How does that go... "Some times you Need to feed your ride some Speed"
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 04-03-2010 AutoCludDragway.pdf (1.11 MB, 355 views)
Old 04-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkay.wgl View Post
There's a lot of people who do not know about double-clutching, rev-matching, or people who roll around in neutral (like me in turns
Double clutching is a technique used with a non-syncro transmission, you can double clutch, but you're just wasting time. That's old school, let's stay away from it.

Rev matching is related to the above, but you can use this technique to downshift, and it is a bit easier on your drivetrain when done well, but it takes a lot of practice to be good at it, especially with throttle by wire cars.

Basic rev match, try this... at steady speed and low rpm's, go to neutral, rev the engine +500 rpm's and shift to the next lowest gear. When you're good at it, you can do it quickly, and let the clutch out much quicker without upsetting the car.

Get good at that and we'll go to rev-match while braking

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 04-04-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
comm54
SoCal C5 Family Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Double clutching is a technique used with a non-syncro transmission, you can double clutch, but you're just wasting time. That's old school, let's stay away from it.

Rev matching is related to the above, but you can use this technique to downshift, and it is a bit easier on your drivetrain when done well, but it takes a lot of practice to be good at it, especially with throttle by wire cars.

Basic rev match, try this... at steady speed and low rpm's, go to neutral, rev the engine +300 rpm's and shift to the next lowest gear. When you're good at it, you can do it quickly, and let the clutch out much quicker without upsetting the car.

Get good at that and we'll go to rev-match while braking
Thank You, that is excellent input!!!

I love the Racing Quotes...
Old 04-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:

I went the the drag strip for the first time this weekend!!!

I totally sucked off the line and I must have been taking a nap when the lights came on.

My first run was 13.7 and my second run was 13.5 @ 107mph
I tried to use the Launch Control but I did something wrong?!? I had to wait for the rpm's to come back down before I could leave so I left it on the line again...

I reccommend that everyone take their car to the local darg strip, road course, or whatever and drive your car the way it was Meant to be driven...

Please don't missunderstand me, I am saying take your car to a safe/ticket free environment and Learn what You and Your Car CAN Do!

How does that go... "Some times you Need to feed your ride some Speed"
What was the 60'? From what I have read on this site the fast M6 guy's like to slide the clutch. Launch control a waist of tiime. With stock tires it goes into wheel. Wheel hop is bad and should be avoid at all costs or it will cost you $$$ at some point in time. Don't forget to clean wheel wells out after a trip to the the strip. # 1 thing dealers look for on warranty claims.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Thank You, that is excellent input!!!

I love the Racing Quotes...
Thankie... I edited the rev's to 500 rpm, and that still may be too low, but, the same rpm drop you get on upshift from, say, 3rd to 4th, is the same rev's to blip UP to on downshift.... Is that confusing?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
comm54
SoCal C5 Family Member

Quote:
What was the 60'? From what I have read on this site the fast M6 guy's like to slide the clutch. Launch control a waist of tiime. With stock tires it goes into wheel. Wheel hop is bad and should be avoid at all costs or it will cost you $$$ at some point in time. Don't forget to clean wheel wells out after a trip to the the strip. # 1 thing dealers look for on warranty claims.
First run was 2.42, and second run was 2.25. That was the 2 tenths that I picked up!

We had 4 5th gens at the track, the only guy that had good 60' times was the guy that was using the launch control. He had it down and had a 1.8

Great Stuff!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
comm54
SoCal C5 Family Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Thankie... I edited the rev's to 500 rpm, and that still may be too low, but, the same rpm drop you get on upshift from, say, 3rd to 4th, is the same rev's to blip UP to on downshift.... Is that confusing?
That makes perfect sense! By watching the rpm's when you are upshifting you get a good idea of what you need when you are downshifting. As with all things to do with driving, it's all about the postion of your right foot. As long as the car is at a consistant rpm, i have found that the slightest "squeeze" of the pedal during downshifting will keep the rpm's right. The more aggressive that you drive will require more "finesse" to get this right.

The best thing I have heard recently is: You Don't use downshifting or the engine to brake the car, that's why we have Brakes!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
First run was 2.42, and second run was 2.25. That was the 2 tenths that I picked up!

We had 4 5th gens at the track, the only guy that had good 60' times was the guy that was using the launch control. He had it down and had a 1.8

Great Stuff!

Stock tires or DR's? From what I have read the guy's on the Official go fast list slide the clutch.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
comm54
SoCal C5 Family Member

Quote:
Stock tires or DR's? From what I have read the guy's on the Official go fast list slide the clutch.
All 4 cars were basically stock, we have an intake and an axle-back, and the slow guy had a great sounding exhaust, but the other 2 were totally stock!

Those guy's on the list are Good!!!

Lots of practice!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
Mr Twisty

Quote:
That makes perfect sense! By watching the rpm's when you are upshifting you get a good idea of what you need when you are downshifting. As with all things to do with driving, it's all about the postion of your right foot. As long as the car is at a consistant rpm, i have found that the slightest "squeeze" of the pedal during downshifting will keep the rpm's right. The more aggressive that you drive will require more "finesse" to get this right.

The best thing I have heard recently is: You Don't use downshifting or the engine to brake the car, that's why we have Brakes!!!
And that's why (engine braking) it's a good idea to be in the correct gear for the turn, before you begin your turn... A bad downshift mid-tun can really piss off the rear tires