Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
How hard is it to lower a 2SS by 1.5"?

I want to do a lowering spring job, but not sure on the difficulty level. Assuming I have access to a lift and tools, how hard is it? how long should it take? it's just the springs, right?

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
1.5" is about the max you would want to go when lowering a car with just springs. For that reason, our lowest drop spring is 1.4". You don't absolutely NEED any other parts, but adjustable toe rods are definitely nice to have when lowered just to give you more adjustability in your alignment settings after the springs are installed. All four shocks and struts will need to be removed, disassembled to the point of replacing the springs, and reinstalled. Not too difficult as long as you have the right tools and some decent mechanical ability. You may want to consider renting a strut spring compressor from your local parts store just to take the tension off the springs during disassembly. You shouldn't need a lift....until after the installation is complete and you need to time the bushings....but most folks have that done at the alignment shop when they're getting their alignment done. FYI, we just released some new 1.25" springs about a week ago that are a really great option for those looking for a little more than 1.0" but not go as far as the 1.4".
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Great response from Keith. Install is not too difficult and takes about 3 hours~. Also plan on doing an alignment afterward. Personally, I prefer to stick with a 1.25" drop or less to maintain a better ride quality, keep suspension geometry in line and prevent axle issues.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2018 Silverado CC
I installed a set of BMR springs in my garage with basics hand tools, jack, and jack stands. Took me about 3 1/2 hours to do the complete install and I had never done any type of suspension work before. Just followed the install instructions from BMR, very easy to do. I had the alignment shop time the bushings when I took it in for the alignment.
760bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
heh, on a friends car we just cut the springs by about 1.5"
He finally had to buy springs because it was too low
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
heh, on a friends car we just cut the springs by about 1.5"
He finally had to buy springs because it was too low
Yeah, cutting springs on these cars doesn't work too well. Worked okay on the "old school" cars, but not really a good idea with today's cars.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
mwendorf3

Drives: 2013 SS Vert IOM
I just did mine with BMR 1" springs in my garage with jack and jack stands. The best thing that helped me, no offense to the BMR instructions, was a Phastek Performance You Tube video on swapping the front and rears. I watched it several times along with the instruction sheet and was smooth sailing.

I'm also a IT desk jockey who's greatest threat to injury on the job is a paper cut. lol.. The fronts are super easy and the rears aren't that bad, just look more intimidating as it's harder getting everything back in place, but not too bad. I'm very happy that I did it myself, now one thing I wouldn't do is attempt this without air tools.

Marvin
mwendorf3 is offline   Reply With Quote