Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
gorgeous-ss

Drives: 2011 ss/rs
Another header question

I will be installing stainless works headers with no cats. My question is
Would it be ok to drive from my house to the shop that is tuning it? Since more than likly it will throw a cel

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
gorgeous-ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
I will do doing my own header install very soon and had the same question for my shop who is doing my tuning. The said it would be fine. Someone else may want to chime in on that though because I would not take it as fact.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
the CEL is a no issue as the rear 02's are diagnostic only. as for weatehr it is save you just don't want to be lean. deffinatly don't get on it if you are worried at all. damage usually occurs under load.

could always install a wideband 02. then you will know if you are ever running lean.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
You might make it, if it's close enough. As long as it's not too far, you might be safe, so long as you take it really easy. That's how it used to be on the older PCMs, but honestly, I haven't kept up with the newer PCM much; I have some catching up to do. I'm sure GM's programmed it to run rich, so as not to over-heat the cats', and I imagine opening up the exhaust is going to lean-out the AFR some, but I don't know if the PCM will command enough fuel, or it will compansate enough, but so long as it's a local shop, I'm pretty sure you'd be fine.

Talk to you shop, though, and make sure. There are also many Sponsors here that you could query. I'd suggest giving them an opportunity for your business if you haven't considered that already

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Dupontdon24

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I was going to start a new thread but will comment here. I talked to a local exhaust shop today on a price for muffler delete, new exhaust, and headers. He gave good prices and when I asked him about if the car needed tuned after the header install he absolutely not, that these cars reprogram themselves. Now hearing all the talk on here, its confusing when you hear two different things on alot of upgrades. He said hes done many of the new camaros. I'll post this in any thread if it would help, didn't mean to hi jack your thread, but thought this might be of light!SS
Dupontdon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
You should have no problem running headers without a tune for a little bit. To say the computer programs itself is not true. There are two tunes in the computer of a SS. One is for high octane one is for low octane. It will not adjust the tune for headers.

If you are going with shortie headers you may not throw a code and you may not need to be tuned. but with long tubes you really should tune soon.
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Dupontdon24

so doing the 5-20 fuse pull doesn't do the octane setting. I always run 93, and always will. So the high octane fuel tune would be needed.?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
You will be fine.

Can 1 person here answer why your putting headers on this car?

ADM needs to teach a class...Hmmmm

BTW- Careful what headers you buy,they may not fit...there are new problem areas the header manufacturers may not know about.We will be working in the future as we did in the beginning of the camaro 5th gen to see to it they get it right.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
You will be fine.

BTW- Careful what headers you buy,they may not fit...there are new problem areas the header manufacturers may not know about.We will be working in the future as we did in the beginning of the camaro 5th gen to see to it they get it right.
Lower pan? Tranny and or diff' cooling lines? Power steering (or lack there, so-to-speak) clearance? You mentioned different AC routing, too - no? I'm wondering if those shorties from ARH will work... That's the way I think I'm going to end up goin

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Dupontdon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
You will be fine.

Uhhh, I wondered the same thing, but alls I could guess is the 20-50 hp you gain plus sound, am I wrong or are most of new owners missing something? I don't understand why people replace a whole perfectly new exhaust system either(minus mufflers). I'am confused as hell now. Thought they were the biggest bang for the buck.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
ADM PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupontdon24 View Post
Uhhh, I wondered the same thing, but alls I could guess is the 20-50 hp you gain plus sound, am I wrong or are most of new owners missing something? I don't understand why people replace a whole perfectly new exhaust system either(minus mufflers). I'am confused as hell now. Thought they were the biggest bang for the buck.
Headers on a supercharged car WILL NOT NET YOU HP without many more mods.

Headers on a naturally aspirated car completely different story.

I have been there countless times,If you dont believe me call the engineering department at LPE.

or

Call me and I will explain.

Header manufacturers(some very close friends of mine) will advertise just to sell their products...Make them guarantee gains in writing!

Now that we have that out of the way:

Modify(Incrase) the boost=Gain Hp and torque
Gain HP and torque=Need to tune
Need to tune = Voided Warranty(Most cases)
Voided Warranty= Find a great shop that will stand behind their work.

ADM Performance will be there for any service work required to your modified
ZL1.We have countless customers that have failure NON that no longer live with a GM Drivetrain warranty that enjoy their cars more now that GM or myself ever thought possible.

Just Google ADM PERFORMANCE and see for yourself or go here -

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

2012 is going to be a great year for the new ZL1 and 2013 will only be better,Im looking forward to being there for any questions or comments that need an honest answer.

Hope this helps
Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
Dupontdon24

I'll be done with this thread after this. I dont remember seeing anything about a supercharged car on this thread. 100's of camaro owners on this site install headers on there camaros without being sc for some reason. We got off the main topic here. Oh, never said I didn't believe ya, the questions being asked and your answers you are giving are not coinsiding with one another. The question was, if headers are installed on a stock LS3, does the engine need tuned?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
ADM PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupontdon24 View Post
I'll be done with this thread after this. I dont remember seeing anything about a supercharged car on this thread. 100's of camaro owners on this site install headers on there camaros without being sc for some reason. We got off the main topic here. Oh, never said I didn't believe ya, the questions being asked and your answers you are giving are not coinsiding with one another. The question was, if headers are installed on a stock LS3, does the engine need tuned?

Your in the ZL1(Has a supercharger on it) section with ths post.Sorry never saw your putting headers on an LS3 .
Old 03-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #14
ADM PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeous-ss View Post
I will be installing stainless works headers with no cats. My question is
Would it be ok to drive from my house to the shop that is tuning it? Since more than likly it will throw a cel

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
Are you planning on putting headers on a ZL1?