Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Drives: E63AMG
Have All Issues Been Worked Out With TPMS Sensors?

I know that in past threads Nine-Ball discoved a frequency issues between some versions of the TMPS sensors and the receiver in the vehicle. Some of the sensors were running on 314.1 MhZ and others on 315 MhZ (if I am remembering correctly).

What I want to avoid is buying a new set of wheels with GM sensors and then having the warning lights go off constantly (like the wheels on my Tahoe) because the vehicle won't hold the readings. In past threads many people were having a lot of problems with this even after doing the proper "learn process" multiple times---as well as trips to the dealership.

So will the new OEM GM sensors included with wheels to date synch with the on-board diagnostic system without throwing codes?
Prior Project Cars: 96 WS6, 96 Steeda Cobra, 93/74/99/01ZO6 Vettes, Supra Turbo, and BMW M3.
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
As long as you are using GM sensors, you will have no problem. The issue is with the software on the Camaro, it is very picky about sensors. This is the only car I've had experience with weird TPMS issues. Sometimes even the relearn procedure is wonky on the Camaro. I wish there were a way to just disable the TPMS system on the Camaro, it isn't like you need sensors to tell you when a tire is low. Your eyes can do that.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

You did some incredible research on this, Nine.

I was having problems with this on my Tahoe with GM sensors a few years back and had to get used to driging with the dash light. Uggghhh. I just don't want to repeat with the car. I'll stick with OEM GM sensors.
Prior Project Cars: 96 WS6, 96 Steeda Cobra, 93/74/99/01ZO6 Vettes, Supra Turbo, and BMW M3.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
I wonder if this is the problem I've been having over the past couple of days. The sensor in the driver side rear wheel turns on and off randomly while driving.
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Maybe. In my Tahoe they would come on and off depending upon the temperature in the tire. If it was cold they would trigger. As they would heat-up they would normalize. It would never allow me to complete the learn process either. It would get stuck on the passenger rear tire.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Nine Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYCAN View Post
It would never allow me to complete the learn process either. It would get stuck on the passenger rear tire.
LOL! You described the wonky-ness I mentioned earlier. That last dang tire can be a PAIN in the rear to fire off. This has happened to me on more than a few Camaros. But the Camaro would not relearn the driver's side rear tire (last one in the relearn process). Had to do those cars 3-4 times with my scanner before it worked.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

I hate these sensors...I had one break off in the front tire of my old LT1 Vette. It somehow broke loose and was bouncing around inside the wheel. Went to Corvette Corner in Columbus, OH and got it fixed. But the center consol light forever stayed on. These things are more trouble than they are worth.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
LoneStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
LOL! You described the wonky-ness I mentioned earlier. That last dang tire can be a PAIN in the rear to fire off. This has happened to me on more than a few Camaros. But the Camaro would not relearn the driver's side rear tire (last one in the relearn process). Had to do those cars 3-4 times with my scanner before it worked.
Could that be the problem I'm having? I don't know if it's just coincidence, but it only happens after I've been driving at highway speeds for a few minutes.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
Nine Ball

If your sensor is dropping the signal, then re-learning the sensor on its own, it is either a faulty sensor or an aftermarket sensor. I have not seen OEM sensors do that, but most of the aftermarket ones do that.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
LoneStar

Quote:
If your sensor is dropping the signal, then re-learning the sensor on its own, it is either a faulty sensor or an aftermarket sensor. I have not seen OEM sensors do that, but most of the aftermarket ones do that.
I'm gonna be pissed if it's an aftermarket sensor. I recently had new wheels put on, and I specifically told them to use the OEM sensors. They'll hear it when I see them this weekend! When the sensors are taken out, is there any way to tell the difference between OEM and aftermarket? I'm going to make them show me the sensor when they look at it.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
Nine Ball

Camaro TPMS sensors are black with a black rubber stem, and have GM part number 12768826 on the label.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Yes, Nine Ball did some research on this.

Get the GM sensors and avoid some headaches.. The Camaro is a finicky beast with respect to TPMS sensors.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I wish there were a way to just disable the TPMS system on the Camaro, it isn't like you need sensors to tell you when a tire is low. Your eyes can do that.
It would be nice if they provided a way to disable the system... like the other personalization features. But I disagree about the visual indication... the lower profile the tire is, the harder it is to tell when its low. It's not nearly as obvious on Camaro 20's as it is on a minivan, especially when the tires only 5 lbs down.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote