Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #43
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
Most salespeople will lie to their own mothers to make a sale. You are correct that some are actually decent...but that's a pretty rare find. Most are lying scoundrels. They are not people...they are aliens.

I'm surprised that salesman didn't say..."Rattle, oh it's supposed to rattle. It helps get more horsepower that way". Sounds like he came kind of close to it though.
Oh, I'm always polite to sales people and others, my sales guy was no exception. He is/was actually a very nice person and tried to answer my questions even tho he didn't really know much about the car. I actually told him things about it (thanks to my fellow camaro5 peeps, I've learned a lot!) He didn't say he thought it was the shifter, he said he thought the muffler needed to be "tightened." Like I said, he later sent it to service for them to take a look and they said it was an issue with the SS that Chevy had no fix for. hmmm. ok. So, at that point, I turned to you guys! I'm going to pick it up in about a half hour to keep till Monday to check it out.
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #44
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
Oh, I'm always polite to sales people and others, my sales guy was no exception. He is/was actually a very nice person and tried to answer my questions even tho he didn't really know much about the car. I actually told him things about it (thanks to my fellow camaro5 peeps, I've learned a lot!) He didn't say he thought it was the shifter, he said he thought the muffler needed to be "tightened." Like I said, he later sent it to service for them to take a look and they said it was an issue with the SS that Chevy had no fix for. hmmm. ok. So, at that point, I turned to you guys! I'm going to pick it up in about a half hour to keep till Monday to check it out.
LOL, I just read more of what you wrote about the sales guy saying "it's supposed to rattle." You are right, he did come close. Before he said the muffler needed to be tightened, he said that it could be the engine with "all that power."
Old 08-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #45
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
test drive both then get the black one. id get the one with no license plate holes in the bumper and get a extended warranty. When you trade it put it back as much as you can to stock and sell the parts.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #46
HorsemenLC-SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2005 CTS-V
The very early models of the hurst shifter rattles a lot. If you leave you hand on the shifter at sll times you can feel the vibration. My brother got one of the first ones and his rattled a lot.
HorsemenLC-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #47
RonnieG

Drives: 2013 AGM 1LE/2SS/RS
not during acceleration, but it will rattle sometimes when driving low rpms (between 1.5~2) after I push the clutch in.. very infrequent.. happens only when I get stuck driving in stop and go situations.. same thing on my previous 2LT

:edit:
both stock shifters...

Last edited by RonnieG; 08-10-2013 at 05:24 PM.
RonnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #48
BLACKssMiami

Drives: 2ssrs
mine rattles when accelerating hard, never took the time to get it checked out though. (also stock shifter)
BLACKssMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #49
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
It's kind of normal that rattle sound that you experienced
Specially when a nucle head sales guy is in the car , regardless whom is driving at that specific moment
It's a well documented case that affects some sales people , their heads tend to bee way bigger for the brains they came with , and that's the only source for that rattling sound , the brains have to much empty storage to move around
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #50
redhotcandy

Well, I picked up the 9K mile one at about noon today and have had fun with it all day! I don't want to get out of it. It's awesome.

The General Sales Manager said he took it out to drive it after I left on Friday and he said he knew right away that it was the bushings in the shifter. Probably not explaining it right, but I'm sure you know what I mean. He told me it is a factory installed Hurst and it was/is? an option from the factory. IDK about that. Maybe someone else does. So, if it's factory, it's probably out of warranty anyway. He talked to me about having it fixed so it doesn't rattle and how costly it could be vs getting a Calaway shifter in it. He said those are about 5-600, if it really bothered me that much.

The more I drove it the less I really paid attention to it, but it's still there, but infrequent.

Oh, and according to him, it's a stock exhaust. Sounds awesome tho. And, is the ambient lighting supposed to be on the dash panel as well as the door panel inserts?

So, I'll keep it until Monday and think about it. I don't know if I want to get into more payments or just keep mine and pay it off (for once in my life!) LOL.

IDK what to do....
Old 08-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #51
beany323

Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
test drive a new ss. compare them then. gl.

Updated w/ Willow Springs:
1. Nissan GTR Track Pack 1:19.6 2. Ducati 1198 S 1:19.7 3. Nissan GTR 1:20.3 4. Corvette Z06 1:20.4
5. Audi R8 V10 Plus 1:22.0 6. Ferrari 458 Italia 1:22.3
7. CAMARO SS 1LE 1:22.7
8. Shelby GT 500 1:23.5
9. Mustang Gt Track Pack 1:25.8
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #52
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
Well, I picked up the 9K mile one at about noon today and have had fun with it all day! I don't want to get out of it. It's awesome.

The General Sales Manager said he took it out to drive it after I left on Friday and he said he knew right away that it was the bushings in the shifter. Probably not explaining it right, but I'm sure you know what I mean. He told me it is a factory installed Hurst and it was/is? an option from the factory. IDK about that. Maybe someone else does. So, if it's factory, it's probably out of warranty anyway. He talked to me about having it fixed so it doesn't rattle and how costly it could be vs getting a Calaway shifter in it. He said those are about 5-600, if it really bothered me that much.

The more I drove it the less I really paid attention to it, but it's still there, but infrequent.

Oh, and according to him, it's a stock exhaust. Sounds awesome tho. And, is the ambient lighting supposed to be on the dash panel as well as the door panel inserts?

So, I'll keep it until Monday and think about it. I don't know if I want to get into more payments or just keep mine and pay it off (for once in my life!) LOL.

IDK what to do....
Yes, the Hurst was/is an option from the factory. He's most likely correct about the rattle being the shifter bushings.

No, the ambient lighting only goes on in the doors.

Best of luck with your decision. Something tells me you are going to be leaving the dealership with the same car you drive there on Monday
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #53
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Test drove one today for about 30 minutes and didn't hear any rattle anywhere. Stock shifter on that one.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #54
DRKnight1SS
The Dude

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS M6
Pretty sure it's the shifter causing the issue my SS doesn't make any sort of rattling noises. I'd say go for the SS if the price is right. Later on you can always switch out the shifter for a more solid unit my recommendation would be the MGW short throw, that's what I'm going to be getting here in the near future. Heard nothing but excellent things from that companies product.
DRKnight1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #55
redhotcandy

Well,I'm taking the SS back to the dealership today and letting them ahve it back. The more I drove it, the more the rattle bugged me. I know it can be changed out, but I don't want to buy a car and already know at purchase, I'll have to change something like that. That on top of they aren't really willing to negotiate to where I need to be.

I really love my car and actually missed it! LOL. Don't get me wrong, after driving the SS, I love it too, just not enough right now to let mine go. I'll be looking for a killer deal tho. Hopefully, one will pop up that I can live with. I do have to take into consideration the gas mileage...that car sucked down gas like crazy! I'll be moving about 35 miles from work in the next few months vs 10 miles, so I can see that being an issue. LOVE the power though!!!

Thanks everyone so much for your comments to help me. Your knowledge on the subject and ideas were awesome!
Old 08-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #56
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Hurst shifter rattles on hard acceleration. Mines been doing it for over 30,000 miles. Good to go