Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #169
wahoo

Drives: Dreaming of a 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysonPeace View Post
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...its a Mustang.
Same could be said about Camaro. It's what you're passionate about IMNSHO.
wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #170
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurdib View Post
So all chevy would need to do is find lighter parts and do some gear tuning and they are right back in first right?
Yes but it is not nearly as easy as you make it sound like.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #171
wahoo

Drives: Dreaming of a 2SS/RS
Chebby is probably going to plunk a supercharger on the new Z, a lightweight wheel package and call it a day. When the Alpha platform comes out, then the car looses significant weight.

I love the mustang but the camaro has more room for the kids.
wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #172
Sax1031

Also whoever said the government loses all stake in GM in three months when they pay back the loans is not technically correct, although the time frame could happen.

Even if the loans are repaid the government still owns a majority stake of gm stocks. The government will still need to unload those.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #173
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
The dyno, nor the numbers, don't care what gear the car is in.

And if you want to get technical usually dynoing in a different gear, not 1:1, will result in slightly less power shown.
This isn't always the case. My car does better on the dyno in the lower gears then the gear closest to 1:1. If I dyno in 3rd, it shows quite a bit more power then if I dyno in 4th, which is the closest to 1:1.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #174
Sax1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
This isn't always the case. My car does better on the dyno in the lower gears then the gear closest to 1:1. If I dyno in 3rd, it shows quite a bit more power then if I dyno in 4th, which is the closest to 1:1.
Then I would question that dyno completely.

I have witnessed 100s of dyno pulls as my dad use to run a performance shop, at least the mechanical side.

The main thing about a dyno is that it is a tuning tool, nothing more and nothing less.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #175
danraz98

Drives: My Two Feet
I believe chevy will strike back but not the way we expect them to with a bigger motor. The government is really forcing them to to focus on fuel economy. I belive then next camaro will have a smaller engine but with more horse power and better suspension,gears and options. Gm has stuck with their same 3.45 gears cus basically they really did not have much competion from Ford speedwise with their GT model. Camaros/ Trans ams have always been way faster than the GT. This is the very first time that the GT has been able to beat the Camaro. So now the playing field has competly changed. Now GM has to change a lot of things to stay on top. So I believe that the major changes for the next camaro will be much better handling and suspension, higher rear gears, a better tranmisson and and smaller engine like a 5.5 or .7 that's rated at about 450 or so that's my prediction. So for those of you who like your big 6. plus engines don't wait for the next one. That's just my opinion what do you guys think?
danraz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #176
Sax1031

This is not the first time that a GT or non special edition Mustang has beat the Camaro. But I will agree for the most part the Camaro/Firebird/Trans Ams have been the better performers.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:12 AM   #177
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
To think that just a few years ago people had to actually use paper maps, stop and disembark their vehicles to make telephone calls, and use cassette tapes and CDs for music while driving......how did we ever survive those dark times.

If you can't get from A to B without a GPS, you probably don't belong out of the house without supervision. Go buy your Mustang already.
Why is it that some people just resort to the "OHH EMM GEE! he must be a mustang fan slash TOTAL IDIOT" card?

Its been established that I own a Camaro, was involved in its development, and am generally a big fan of the vehicle.

I've never used GPS in my life, but I'm making the argument that some people really like the option. Also, the SYNC has a bunch of other functions too, and is consistently updated with new programs kinda like apps on an iphone. it can show traffic and gas prices and other stuff. Whether you personally like that or not, it is pretty flashy, and relatively practical, and Chevy doesnt have anything to compete. That is what I'm saying.

Use intelligence instead of that ^^ garbage when entering a conversation. And lose the old "OMG its a mustang fan" junk while you're at it.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:50 AM   #178
2010ABM

Drives: 2SS/RS ABM Camaro
Mustang, Camaro, Challenger...you can say what you want to for or against every single one, but when it all boils down, IT'S ALL AMERICAN.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:03 AM   #179
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
GM can and will strike back. Ford has the V6, V8, and a SC V8. Chevy has the V6 and V8.......What's missing?

The Camaro could loose some of the weight needed to stomp the Mustang by changing the exhaust, adding slotted/cross drilled break rotors and lighter rims. The Mustang should be somewhere in the 3600 pound range, the Camaro should only have to loose 200 pounds to be competitive. I'm sure there are other areas where a few pounds could get shaved, like making the trunk opening larger.

We have all seen that adding a better cam can get the hp/tq boost it needs. I'm sure GM has seen this as well. But boosting the hp numbers will not happen until the base Corvette gets a bigger boost. I know the look of the Camaro more than made up for the 10 hp difference for me.

As for the MT dyno results, they were on the same dyno that K&N got a 20+ hp boost out of their aircharger system for the Camaro. How many of us have read the threads asking why they aren't getting any extra power after installing the K&N? Bueller? Bueller? This is the only way they are getting a supposed 435 hp out of a 412 hp rated motor. My stock SS dyno #'s were higher than the MT test on the 5.0.

Ford did ZERO styling changes for the 2011 Mustang. They dropped in a new motor and said, show me the money. I hope GM doesn't ever go back down that road. Anyone remember the '97 Z-28? I for one would rather not.

The styling on the rear end of the Mustang is more than enough for me to say no thanks.

The 2011 Mustang will be on the streets by the end of the month. I'm sure the Mustang boys/girls will be all to happy to push the 2010 Camaro's owners buttons to get the desired reaction out of us. Game on!
Old 04-15-2010, 05:52 AM   #180
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
GM can and will strike back. Ford has the V6, V8, and a SC V8. Chevy has the V6 and V8.......What's missing?

The Camaro could loose some of the weight needed to stomp the Mustang by changing the exhaust, adding slotted/cross drilled break rotors and lighter rims. The Mustang should be somewhere in the 3600 pound range, the Camaro should only have to loose 200 pounds to be competitive. I'm sure there are other areas where a few pounds could get shaved, like making the trunk opening larger.

We have all seen that adding a better cam can get the hp/tq boost it needs. I'm sure GM has seen this as well. But boosting the hp numbers will not happen until the base Corvette gets a bigger boost. I know the look of the Camaro more than made up for the 10 hp difference for me.

As for the MT dyno results, they were on the same dyno that K&N got a 20+ hp boost out of their aircharger system for the Camaro. How many of us have read the threads asking why they aren't getting any extra power after installing the K&N? Bueller? Bueller? This is the only way they are getting a supposed 435 hp out of a 412 hp rated motor. My stock SS dyno #'s were higher than the MT test on the 5.0.

Ford did ZERO styling changes for the 2011 Mustang. They dropped in a new motor and said, show me the money. I hope GM doesn't ever go back down that road. Anyone remember the '97 Z-28? I for one would rather not.

The styling on the rear end of the Mustang is more than enough for me to say no thanks.

The 2011 Mustang will be on the streets by the end of the month. I'm sure the Mustang boys/girls will be all to happy to push the 2010 Camaro's owners buttons to get the desired reaction out of us. Game on!
..They just did a complete redesign in '10, why would they do it again in '11?? The '11 mustang is a completely different car than the '09 in almost every way. I don't know why you guys are still talking about dyno numbers when there is track info available. Dyno's are tuning tools for one, not gauges of performance. On top of that, half of the people talking about them don't have a clue how they are calibrated or even how they work. Personally, I'm just happy it's so close. At this point, it seems like the mustang has a distinct advantage on the performance end stock, but not enough that it isn't a drivers race and when the mods start everything changes. It will be nice to have some real competition this time around instead of it being heavily weighted to one side.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #181
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Hahahahaha. I'm afraid it will take more than that! Just like the "found" power in the V6 still won't allow the V6 Camaro to compete with the mustang on the street.
are you havin' a bubble mate!
my v6 takes out GT stangs niCely!
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:10 AM   #182
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
they are talking about 2011 mustangs.. much more powerful than 2010
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, 5.0, mustang gt