Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #1849
G8GT4now

Drives: 14 SS Sedan
What's the asking price on that particular ZL1?
G8GT4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #1850
Chris@Livernois

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiSrt View Post
Vey nice!! That white ZL1 looks good as hell!!

Question. I noticed yall didnt use the same dyno to baseline both cars. The one the Shelby was ran on, does it usually spit out higher or lower numbers than the one the ZL1 was ran on?
They are both dyno-jets and make within a few hp of each other. The other dyno was occupied when this car came in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GT4now View Post
What's the asking price on that particular ZL1?
59,850 + 14,800 package

Rick
Chris@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #1851
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRLOIN View Post
I read somewhere that a properly equipped 13 GT500, i assume that means 'base' model with recaro's, will be well into the 3700lb range...

Also, to the guy that said ZL1's are putting down 540 rwhp, please post up a dyno sheet showing those numbers? Stock...

All of the dyno numbers i have seen are between 475 to 515 rwhp... There is ATLEAST a 100 RWHP difference between these two cars...

Lastly, to all the people still going on about how the GT500 won't beat/compete with the ZL1 on the road course, I'll leave you with this...

The 13 GT500 accelerates way faster than the Z.
The 13 GT500 brakes much faster than the Z.
The 13 GT500 EQUALS the cornering G's of the Z.

^^^These are facts^^^

What do you guy's think all of that will equate to on a road course?

For everyone saying/thinking the Z will DOMINATE on a road course is kidding themselves. I'm not gonna sit here and say it's gonna be one way or the other, but I'm not gonna be naive about the whole thing either.

If i were yall, i would try the more humble approach at this point because these match ups are coming, and coming real soon. We all saw how everyone's speculation that the "puny" 285 tires would just sit and spin... We all saw how the base price didn't turn out to be those outrageous numbers everyone was saying... etc etc...

Is there a chance it could go either way? Maybe. But with what's out in the open right now, i don't see how anyone could be declaring a victory for the Z on a roadcourse...
Amen x3. You can be a fanboy if you want, but numbers don't lie.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #1852
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@Livernois View Post
They are both dyno-jets and make within a few hp of each other. The other dyno was occupied when this car came in.

59,850 + 14,800 package

Rick
Cool!! Thanx!
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #1853
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
To answer bighemi. Both dynos are within 1-2% of each other, on any given day one could produce slightly higher number than the other. We did a lot of back to back testing when we got rid of our Mustang Dyno and replaced it with the AWD dynojet to see what the variance was. We could never really get it to be predictable. A stock ZO6 makes 425-440 on either dyno for example.

Also, to sirloin, we have yet to baseline a manual trans ZL1, so all of our numbers are on the auto.

Also, the 613 was NOT on our dyno. Not sure whose it is, but the 601 was the best pull it had here...
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #1854
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
and Rick beat me to it, LOL
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #1855
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Still appreciated!!
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #1856
KennyC
Banned

Drives: 2006 Duramax
Quote:
I read somewhere that a properly equipped 13 GT500, i assume that means 'base' model with recaro's, will be well into the 3700lb range...

Also, to the guy that said ZL1's are putting down 540 rwhp, please post up a dyno sheet showing those numbers? Stock...

All of the dyno numbers i have seen are between 475 to 515 rwhp... There is ATLEAST a 100 RWHP difference between these two cars...

Lastly, to all the people still going on about how the GT500 won't beat/compete with the ZL1 on the road course, I'll leave you with this...

^^^These are facts^^^

For everyone saying/thinking the Z will DOMINATE on a road course is kidding themselves. I'm not gonna sit here and say it's gonna be one way or the other, but I'm not gonna be naive about the whole thing either.

If i were yall, i would try the more humble approach at this point because these match ups are coming, and coming real soon. We all saw how everyone's speculation that the "puny" 285 tires would just sit and spin... We all saw how the base price didn't turn out to be those outrageous numbers everyone was saying... etc etc...

Is there a chance it could go either way? Maybe. But with what's out in the open right now, i don't see how anyone could be declaring a victory for the Z on a roadcourse...

Yea enough with your so called "facts". The ZL1 was developed on the Nuremorgringer ring, and it has magnetic ride with PTM. No way the GT500 gonna be faster on a track.

sorry I couldn't help myself
KennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #1857
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@Livernois View Post
To answer bighemi. Both dynos are within 1-2% of each other, on any given day one could produce slightly higher number than the other. We did a lot of back to back testing when we got rid of our Mustang Dyno and replaced it with the AWD dynojet to see what the variance was. We could never really get it to be predictable. A stock ZO6 makes 425-440 on either dyno for example.

Also, to sirloin, we have yet to baseline a manual trans ZL1, so all of our numbers are on the auto.

Also, the was NOT on our dyno. Not sure who's it is, but the 601 was the best pull it had here...
Thanks for the info...

EDIT: Andy, i wasn't basing the numbers i posted (for either car) specifically off the numbers Livernois has made. It was just an average of all the numbers that have been seen with both the ZL1 (manual and auto) and the Shelby...

Last edited by SIRLOIN; 05-23-2012 at 09:11 PM.
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #1858
wawrecker
Banned

Drives: 1973 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyC View Post
Nuremorgringer ring, and it has magnetic ride with PTM. No way the GT500 gonna be faster on a track.

sorry I couldn't help myself
I am sure Ford will concede the ZL1 is faster at Nuremorgringer.......
wawrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #1859
richtor

Drives: JEEP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawrecker View Post
Maybe Not???
richtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #1860
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Nuremorgringer.......
Thats funny...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #1861
KennyC
Banned

Drives: 2006 Duramax
Quote:
It's obvious you didn't get the humor in my post.
KennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #1862
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:

^^^These are facts^^^

You are correct those are facts ... But they only work for bench racing. There is no way you can say one way or the other without the two actually having a race. I'm talking a real race like 25 laps around the Glen. There is a lot more to it, then just one hot lap. Having a car that is not balanced is not good for long durations. The brakes could crap out on either car, you just don't know for sure on any given day what would really happen. That's the real world ...