Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-30-2009, 12:43 AM   #15
jmargaglione

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Personally I am not a fan of the BA sound. I like the liveliness of JL Audio products.

Now that I know where the amp is located, I will probably upgrade the speakers and amp, and add a small (10") sub with maybe a 500w amp. The interior of the car is so small that you really don't need a lot of power to make it loud. But you need *good* power.

I am thinking JL Audio C2 or C5 speakers all around. I will try them with the embedded amp to see how it sounds before shelling out more for a new amp. That center speaker throws a spanner in the works, because now a 4-way amp isn't enough.

For the sub I'm thinking a 10w6v2 sub with a 500/1v2 amp.

Total cost without a new 5-way amp will be around $1500 + installation (which should be minimal because the amp and battery are already in the trunk.
jmargaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:10 AM   #16
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
how is it compared to the R/T and SRT8 BA sound system, the Challenger has the premium eight speaker Boston Acoustic set ... 368 watts

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #17
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmargaglione View Post
Personally I am not a fan of the BA sound. I like the liveliness of JL Audio products.

Now that I know where the amp is located, I will probably upgrade the speakers and amp, and add a small (10") sub with maybe a 500w amp. The interior of the car is so small that you really don't need a lot of power to make it loud. But you need *good* power.

I am thinking JL Audio C2 or C5 speakers all around. I will try them with the embedded amp to see how it sounds before shelling out more for a new amp. That center speaker throws a spanner in the works, because now a 4-way amp isn't enough.

For the sub I'm thinking a 10w6v2 sub with a 500/1v2 amp.

Total cost without a new 5-way amp will be around $1500 + installation (which should be minimal because the amp and battery are already in the trunk.
This is not a flame, just an example of taste difference. Personally I think JL and BA are almost identical in sound and quality. Now that being said, I talking home audio. I've not heard much of JL's car stuff.
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #18
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
A few thoughts on the stereo:

I like it as a factory installed product. It does the job, BUT -

It's underpowered to begin with, but if it had more power, the speakers couldn't take it anyway. When you turn it up you can hear lots of distortion across the enire range. The speakers in the back are not in any enclosure. So when you turn the music up the speakers move too much and fall out of sync with the actual music being sent into them. Instead of a "Punchy" "thump thump thump" sound, you get bababababooom babababababooom.

XM Radio sounds TERRIBLE if you're an audiophile, or "ok" if you don't care. XM Compresses many of their stations so bad that you can actually hear the aliasing going on. Some stations are better than others though. The metal stations sound the worst.

I plan to keep the radio, but replace the speakers, build a tuned subwoofer enclosure, hand-pick my driver and amps and upgrade the helll out of the sound myself. Wish me luck!
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 AM   #19
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM2SSRS View Post
This is not a flame, just an example of taste difference. Personally I think JL and BA are almost identical in sound and quality. Now that being said, I talking home audio. I've not heard much of JL's car stuff.
JLs ok, but unlike BA systems 'natural' sound. Luv the older Rallys, Kappas, and Quart. Like JLs mid level subs(w4,w3,w6), high end just too boomy. The w0 are good bang for the buck...
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:03 AM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I like it. It sounds great for a stock system. However, I WILL be adding in my JL's and amps.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #21
Deeboe
Bowtie, FOR LIFE!!!!

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Interrior
1 ALPINE TYPE R, 10 or 12 in and a fosgate amp= instant gratifaction
Deeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #22
camaroguy
MJ is finally home!

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS Camaro M6
So, I've had the camaro for a couple of weeks now, and listened to variety of material. XM, radio, CD...mp3 playback via flash drive. I think the speakers are starting to sound better. I judged it first only on the sound of the XM which is a bad idea considering the heavy compression they use. The speakers are now getting broken in, and it should only start to sound better and better. Although its not reference sound quality or sound level, it does fine. Plan on adding a small 8-10" powered sub eventually since the bass is very muddy and boomy sounding, and distorts at high levels.

I give the system at this point a 7.5 out of 10, and that is pushing it.
camaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #23
CJ Offshoredude

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
So far I am not that impressed with this system. I should not be surprised, my stereo in my 02 Silverado HD was terrible also. I guess with the BA name on it I was expecting more, oh well the car is still awesome
CJ Offshoredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #24
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
how is it compared to the R/T and SRT8 BA sound system, the Challenger has the premium eight speaker Boston Acoustic set ... 368 watts
according my my buddy, the challenger system sounds better. he's heard both and i haven't. he is a dodge fan, so i dunno if he's looking for ways to make the chally better than camaro, or if that's the truth. lol

overall i'm not impressed with the BA system anyways.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #25
Aaron1121

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
I listen to Rock / Metal / Alt / Pop, and I would rate it at an 8 / 10. If you like a lot of bass, you are going to want a sub.

As some of the comments above said, it sounds good with CD's or streaming over my IPOD. It does not sound that great over XM or FM.

As a side note, you should adjust the EQ for each music source. If you set it up for 1 music source, (like CD's) it will go back to the default flat when using any other mode like FM XM or USB.

I think some people are only setting up the EQ once, and thinking it will stay the same on all the modes.
Aaron1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #26
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
Great tidbit Aaron.
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote