Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
tokyov

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Rattling Sound in Engine Bay After Oil Change

Hi Everyone,

I just my oil over the weekend. Used Mobil1 and a Purelator oil filter. When I started my car the next day and everyday since then, I hear a rattling sound coming out of the engine bay within 3 seconds of my turning on my car. It only happens on cold startups- if I turn off the car off and turn it back on again, it wont make the noise. The noise only lasts for about 1-2 seconds and this noise did not exist prior to me changing the oil.

Any thoughts?
tokyov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
gatorlover

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS 1LE
Does it sound like a tapping noise? I forget the exact part that causes it but, I think its commen in ls motors. However, the fact that it only started after the oil change would worry me too. What weight oil did you use? How much oil to you put back in after draining? I'm sure some of the experts around here will chime in and provide some insight.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
tokyov

Its more of a rattling sound.

I put in 6 quarts of Mobil1 synthetic, 5w-30
Old 12-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyov View Post
Its more of a rattling sound.

I put in 6 quarts of Mobil1 synthetic, 5w-30
Is this a V8? The V8 needs 8 quarts.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
tokyov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Is this a V8? The V8 needs 8 quarts.

Its a V6
Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
tokyov

Just an update:

Car was at the dealer for 10 days. They could not figure out what it was so they replaced the "tensioner" but the dealership said that it is most likely my Injen CAI banging on my car. Car is still doing the noise on every cold startup where I leave it off for more than 6 hours.

I am taking it in again tomorrow. It doesnt make sense it is my CAI for 2 reasons: first, the noise is only made on a cold startup and I have to leave the car off for 6+ hours to make it do the noise again (if I turn the car off immediately after the noise stops, and turn the car back on again, it wont do it.) If it is the CAI, it should do it on every startup, right? Second, when the dealership told me it is possibly the CAI, I purchased some weather stripping and placed it around where it could touch my car- but the noise is still there and just as loud.

Im thinking it could be the lifters? But there isnt a TSB on my 2011 LS.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Blackhawk6

Drives: Born:18 Sept 2009 #47903
Have someone look at your exhaust.. Most rattling is caused by the exhaust contacting the frame of underside somewhere.

This has been the case of alot of the 5th Gen Owners...
2010 Camaro 2SS________________________________________Litho#140

Blackhawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
tokyov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk6 View Post
Have someone look at your exhaust.. Most rattling is caused by the exhaust contacting the frame of underside somewhere.

This has been the case of alot of the 5th Gen Owners...
Thanks. Ill let the dealership know about this, although my exhaust system is completely stock.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Since you said the rattle is coming from the engine bay, I doubt it is any part of the exhaust at all. Before you start your car, I would check your aftermarket CAI and make sure it is not rubbing on anything. Better yet, have someone stand to the side, car hood open, while you start the car and listen for the noise. Have the person lightly place a hand on the CAI as you start the car and as soon as the rattle begins, have him press on it to see if the rattle sound changes or stops. If the sound changes or stops, then you have found the problem.
Another thing, be sure our engine cover is tight and secure. Goodluck.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:57 AM   #10
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Did you every figure out the rattle? My LFX does it sometimes after an oil change, I think it's either the pressure switch in the oil filter holder as the oil comes up to pressure, or a lifter. Unsure I'm happy if its either! But this last oil change I did let it drain for a very long time since it started raining during the job. So it drained for about 2 hours. So wondering if that's the cause of it not happening all the time.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
try replacing the oil filter with an oem AC filter. Drain back valve may be leaking down. Think about it, just changed oil and filter, huh.

Dealer has said they have had several cases of cracked oil filters on LS style motors.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote