Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
unradical

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
4 Months old, and over 6 service visits...

Where do I begin? I purchased a 2011 Camaro 2LT RS at the end of December. I traded in my 4 year old Charger, and was happy to ditch Dodge due to the crappy customer service I had received from them. I figured buying a brand new GM vehicle, I wouldn't have to be dealing with Service that often.

Anyways, from the day I bought the vehicle, the OnStar wasn't working correctly. All the calls with the OnStar reps kept cutting off, and it took me about 7 tries over a 2 day period to complete the "Welcome Call". I took it into service at a dealership near work a week later, and they had the car all day just to tell me "we couldn't run any diagnostics, our equipment is too out of date". Tired of wasting my time with them, I decided to try the larger dealership near my house. By this point, the OnStar had completely stopped working. I couldn't even add bluetooth devices to it, it was completely inoperative. They ran into the same problem as the other dealer, but they told me they had ordered what they needed to test the vehicle. Also before this visit, my Air Conditioner had also stopped working, so I had them troubleshoot that as well. They refilled the freon, and added a dye pack, but couldn't locate any leaks. The consensus was "maybe it wasn't filled properly at the factory".

I tried calling the service rep and leaving messages for two weeks after that visit, to get an update on them testing the OnStar issue. At the third week, and being tired of waiting, I decided to just show up at the dealership and see if the part had came in. Apparently the previous Service Adviser was no longer working, and my part had never been ordered. So here we go another week of ordering the part, and waiting for it to come in to troubleshoot the OnStar. About two weeks later the part came in, and I brought the vehicle over. They verified that it was indeed the OnStar module that had fried, and they would order a new one. The next day, a coworker riding shotgun in my Camaro notices a screw on the carpet on the passenger side. We start looking to see where it came from, and sure enough, the glove compartment is broken. I called the service rep, and he told me whatever it is, they'll fix it the next time I bring it in (to replace the module). I show back up about a week later to replace the OnStar module, and leave the car overnight so they would have two afternoons to replace it. Apparently, not only had the module fried, but the backup battery as well. As soon as I pick up the vehicle, the OnStar is working correctly, but the Glove compartment fix apparently involved some rubbery gunk and glue. I expressed my displeasure at this fix, and the service rep & service manager both agree that it is unacceptable. They decide to order an entire new glove compartment, and will let me know when it comes in. A week later, my air conditioner stops working again (ie. it only blows air, and in Miami, this means it only blows very hot air). Unfortunately, I have to go out of town for a few weeks for work, and I decide I'll take care of it upon my return. So I bring it in a week after I get back, to replace the glove compartment, and have them troubleshoot the A/C. I also mention to them that my rear tires keep saying they're low PSI randomly while I'm on the highway. This is the last time I've driven my car. Apparently, the A/C issue was the evaporator, which is under the dashboard. This was replaced, but apparently that didn't fix the issue. Then they thought it was a seal under the evaporator. This also did not fix the issue. Now they're working with GM to see what else could be wrong. The car has been at the dealership for over a week, and I've been stuck with a rental now twice after purchasing my brand new Camaro.

I decided to pay a visit this afternoon to see what was going on, and this is what I happen to see:

I'm very frustrated at this point. Even if the issue gets resolved with the Air Conditioner, how much can I trust that I won't have other issues, mainly with my dashboard electronics, specially after a dissasembly of this magnitude. Even the windshield is out...

I've contacted GM Customer Service, and was told this was going to be escalated, and I would be contacted by tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully this can be resolved in a decent manner, but I don't have my hopes up after reading about some of the issues others have had on here.

Sorry for the long post, just needed a place to vent.
unradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
nealdiwes

Drives: 2011 camaro ls
I think I'd make give me a brand new camaro. All your problems is bull.
nealdiwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Moni
H-Town Camaro Club VP

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Sure hate to hear about all the issues you're having. I think you got a lemon. If you get Rolando on your case at GM, request someone else, he sucks!!! Push what you want with them, tell them what you want them to do, otherwise they won't do anything. Definitely would be pushing for another car, I think you got a bad one. Don't take what they say unless it's what you want and they should follow up with you every day or two.

I had AC issues, have gone through hell with a crappy dealer, now have a great one fixing everything the other dealer broke in their efforts.

Wish you the best!!!! Hope to see pics of your new camaro soon
Moni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Holy crap, I do believe I just had a fit on your behalf!!!!!
On a positive note, might be time to install some sound deadener!
Wow
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
unradical

Well, I spoke to the district representative on the phone today. His response was basically "Well I spoke to the dealer, and they're fixing the problem." I tried to reiterate to him that, even if they fixed the issue, I have a very big problem with a brand new car being dismantled that way, and that I was not happy. Again, his response was "well, after they fix it, if you're not happy, then we can fix whatever it is you're not happy with".

I'm already seeing which way this is going to go, and I don't like it.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
unradical, could you give your case number so I can check it over? Thank you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
unradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post

I just pm'ed it to you. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
Njja

Drives: 2011 Shelby, 2005 SSR, 2011 2SS/RS
Wow, looks like my......and I mean LAST Corvette!

I would be looking into your states Lemon Law........seems like it's time for a new vehicle!
Njja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post

Hope you can help him out...if I saw my brand new car at the dealer with the windshield and entire dash/console removed...because the AC and OnStar didn't work...I'd go totally mental.

I think you should send him a brand new car, and tell that dealerships service manager and technician working on that car, that they're morons for letting it get that out of hand.
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
jgr
ironhead

Drives: 2004 silverado diesel 2010ss
Chevy customer svc people helped me out. Hope they can do the same for you.
jgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
greenmachinedriver

Drives: white 2010 ss and 2011 6.2 silvy
i dont understand what your issue is with them taking the dash out is. techs do it all the time, it it pretty standard. yeah you defiinately got some crappy custpmer service and some bad luck that your evaporator went bad but i would focus on thoe issues. your car has a warranty for a reason, so they can fix it. not just give you a new car because the dash was dissasembled. i have taken the dash out of plenty of cars and would bet money the owners of those cars never had a clue. we try not to tell people because they will have a similar over-reaction. good luck i hope the dealer/tech is competant and can resolve your issue.
greenmachinedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
unradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachinedriver View Post
i dont understand what your issue is with them taking the dash out is. techs do it all the time, it it pretty standard. yeah you defiinately got some crappy custpmer service and some bad luck that your evaporator went bad but i would focus on thoe issues. your car has a warranty for a reason, so they can fix it. not just give you a new car because the dash was dissasembled. i have taken the dash out of plenty of cars and would bet money the owners of those cars never had a clue. we try not to tell people because they will have a similar over-reaction. good luck i hope the dealer/tech is competant and can resolve your issue.
If you don't have a problem with a brand new car having to go to service six times, and if you don't have an issue with a brand new car having it's entire dashboard, and center runner, plus the support bar, windshield, among other things removed, then that's on you. Unfortunately, I do have a serious problem with this. If the car was a few years old, ok whatever this stuff happens. But the truth is, my car came defective from the factory, with multiple issues, and now not only am I unable to drive the vehicle I paid for, but said vehicle's parts are all over a service bay's floor.

And to add insult to injury, when they replaced the OnStar module, they broke the glove compartment box in the process, and didn't bother putting all the screws in their place. Can I really trust that they won't miss a few screws, break a few things, maybe forget to plug something in while putting that mess back together? So now I get to drive a Camaro, which I'll be paranoid of every time I hear a rattle, or the light flickers on the dash, etc.. That's not why I traded in a four year old car for a new one. I bought a new one because I wanted piece of mind.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
greenmachinedriver

Drives: white 2010 ss and 2011 6.2 silvy
if the dealer fixes your problem whats your beef? yes its very unlucky your brand new car had several problems but they are fixing them arent they? they gave you a loan car didnt they? if your car has a rattle after the repair due to the dash dissasembly they will fix it wont they? i understand your frustration with the poor customer service you recived, and the broken glove box, compleetly unaceptable. i also can understand your frustration with not being able to drive your brand new car. if they gave you a new car at this point what would that fix? you would still have gotten the crappy service and been out of your car for a while.

i am not trying to start a fight i really am just playing the devils advocate here and really do understand your frusrtation, but having worked at a dealership(not chevy) for a long time i can see both sides. i once had a customer who bought a brand new $60k truck and a week later the engine started knocking. he demanded that the manufacture give him a new truck because he said it would not be the same once a new engine was installed. as a technician i took insult to this there is no reason why the car should be any worse than new once im done with it. we ended up replacing the engine and then over the next 6 months getting every BS complaint under the sun from the guy about how the new engine had more vibration and did not get as good of gas milage or how the electrical problem in the rear of the car was because we messed somthing up when we did the engine. please dont be this guy.

on the other hand if you are having repeated visits to the service department for the same issues after a repair attempt has been made you should look into the lemon laws in your state. i hope your dealer is able to corectly repair your car and that it gives you years of trouble free operation.
greenmachinedriver is offline   Reply With Quote