Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #127
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Frankly, Clyde, the Curb is LOWER than I personally anticipated. I'm hopeful that all this mass reduction isn't equalled or exceeded by a corresponding price increase...

In otherwords, let's hope we pay for GROUND ROUND instead of FILET MIGNON...
Oh I certainly hope that it doesn't radically affect prices, but it appears that this type of weight reduction is only the beginning and soon new parts will be looked at this way while they are still in the design stage (i.e. drawings/blueprints) before they ever get to the production stage. If such a strategy is part of the focus from the beginning, then it should not really be more expensive, especially once a few different types of vehicles and parts are done, they will then have a good idea of how to go about this procedure.
It's no different than me drawing a set of house plans with older technology (real lumber) and drawing one today with the new "miracle products" such a TGI floor joists, etc. (which I absolutely hate), the first few sets of plans I do will take a little longer in man hours while I get a feel for the new process, after I've done a few and made the proper adjustments in the cad software, then the new plans will go as fast or faster than the old style. What I'm saying is that this technology will not be limited to a few specific vehicles, I think GM will eventually go across the board with these processes and it will be SOP (standard operating procedure).
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #128
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The higher the intended pricepoint, the more "exotica" (to us, currently) will be implemented...

I would expect Base Camaros, priced @ mid-$20s to start, will utilize something less, and be slightly heavier car-to-car, than a higher-priced ATS...but, to save as much weight as possible on a V8 "halo" Camaro, ALL the "tricks" will be used...and priced accordingly...

This CAFE '16 stuff is two-edged: serious weight reduction will be evident, as will a reduced volume of fuel-swilling "muscle"...

Current 1SS, @ 426 hp and 3860 lb = 9.06lb/hp

A 3400 lb "ZEE" with a 375 hp V6 = 9.06...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #129
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Just one point of clarification I'd like your additional perspective on.

Does less weight necessarily mean more noise and road irregularities making it's way into the cabin, reducing the quality perception? (Both from a "noise" and "feel" standpoint). Maybe it's just me, but believe these may be compromises in order to achieve CAFE goals. That said, I've not ridden in any smaller sportier cars to know any better, so don't hold that against me!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #130
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Just one point of clarification I'd like your additional perspective on.

Does less weight necessarily mean more noise and road irregularities making it's way into the cabin, reducing the quality perception? (Both from a "noise" and "feel" standpoint). Maybe it's just me, but believe these may be compromises in order to achieve CAFE goals. That said, I've not ridden in any smaller sportier cars to know any better, so don't hold that against me!
Can't say much about the noise, a certain amount of "feel" might be a good thing to cue the driver about what the road is doing. And if performance is high enough, for someone like me it doesn't really matter if there is more noise and feel. I rode in a friend's Lambo Countach, believe me road noise/feel was the last thing I was thinking about in that ride. If you read motor Trend's new review of the ZL1 (just released), the current ZL1 seems to be very polite in "normal" acceleration and driving and feels very nice when the hammer is down too. Perhaps those type of dynamics can tranfer to the 6th gen as well, time will tell. Not being an engineer, I can't say for sure how a lighter weight will impact the 6th gen other than it will certainly take less HP to reach the same speed/time criteria.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #131
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

There are smaller, lighter vehicles than the Camaro that are considered "high quality", both in NVH and ride quality.

It starts with a stiff, strong structure...platform, if you please. Like a house or building, a weak foundation seldom makes for a strong overall product. And a strong platform no longer means "heavy", but requires higher tech. materials/features than what to this point has been commonly found in "regular" production (read: inexpensive) vehicles. What previously was reserved for a Cadillac, say, will have to find its way (in whole or in part) into a Chev...without fully ballooning the Chev's price to the Cadillac stratosphere...

As far as suspension systems, you are now seeing the "future"...MRC, or versions thereof. Read the ZL1 vs. BOSS LS comparo from Motor Trend: "new" vs. old, and the capabilities of MRC are undeniable. But it ain't cheap...in these volumes. As an option on Corvette, $2,495. As a more widely available feature on more voluminous models, the costs will come down.

If light-but-strong-and-durable was cheap 'n easy, it would have been around already...everywhere, by everyone.

Cars will NOT get more inexpensive, so the bets being made in new products coming to market in the next 4 years better pay off...or else... And the inter-company competition in the car biz has NEVER been fiercer...not much room for "oops"!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #132
htron50

Quote:
There are smaller, lighter vehicles than the Camaro that are considered "high quality", both in NVH and ride quality.

It starts with a stiff, strong structure...platform, if you please. Like a house or building, a weak foundation seldom makes for a strong overall product. And a strong platform no longer means "heavy", but requires higher tech. materials/features than what to this point has been commonly found in "regular" production (read: inexpensive) vehicles. What previously was reserved for a Cadillac, say, will have to find its way (in whole or in part) into a Chev...without fully ballooning the Chev's price to the Cadillac stratosphere...

As far as suspension systems, you are now seeing the "future"...MRC, or versions thereof. Read the ZL1 vs. BOSS LS comparo from Motor Trend: "new" vs. old, and the capabilities of MRC are undeniable. But it ain't cheap...in these volumes. As an option on Corvette, $2,495. As a more widely available feature on more voluminous models, the costs will come down.

If light-but-strong-and-durable was cheap 'n easy, it would have been around already...everywhere, by everyone.

Cars will NOT get more inexpensive, so the bets being made in new products coming to market in the next 4 years better pay off...or else... And the inter-company competition in the car biz has NEVER been fiercer...not much room for "oops"!
I've seen a few "Ultimate Factories" or some show like that which show various cars being made. You can see some of them (like BMW) really do a good job on the small chassis'. From a "TV" standpoint. I imagine that's kind of a goal GM has for the new platform! But, I've never ridden in a modern BMW. Or a CTS for that matter. I have ridden in Acura's which seem to be optioned out Accords. Not worth the $$. Ok....... I can see the strength and also assembly/suspension making it TIGHT. I imagine by the time the next Gen Z28 gets here, the current ZL1 might feel like a good value! It already is!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #133
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Without getting into non-GM specific models (and bringing out the flamers), in the near-future I opine that we'll see current CTS-like "quality" (and better!) in quantifiable areas trickle down to ALL levels of ALL Divisions of GM... Frankly, that's what it's gonna take to ultimately SURVIVE!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #134
htron50

Quote:
Without getting into non-GM specific models (and bringing out the flamers), in the near-future I opine that we'll see current CTS-like "quality" (and better!) in quantifiable areas trickle down to ALL levels of ALL Divisions of GM... Frankly, that's what it's gonna take to ultimately SURVIVE!

10-4. I hope I did not attract any flamers! (sorry if so) I am sure many of the buying decisions are made spontaneously. You compare models, you see some look less appealing, you go for the obvious visible qualities (typical consumer). What they don't know about some of the imported stuff is that the tie rods or oil pan might be made of inferior alloys. etc etc etc... As we see high quality making it into the living space, the informed buyers will be looking everywhere!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #135
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

I'm old enough, and had the advantage of living in Canada then, to recall when Hyundai entered Canada with a sardine can-like car called the Pony. Terrible structure (even compared to a Chevette!), with engines at 50k that emulated a Yamaha 2-strokes! But they learned...and learned...and hooked up with Ford (via KIA) and learned some more. Now, where are they?!

In the late-'70s a company from Russia named LADA arrived in Canada. Recycled FIAT sedans, and a small SUV called NIVA, that made a Suzuki Samuri seem like a Range Rover. Cheap! In ALL senses of the word! Less money than it cost my father to buy a 6-volt electric wheelchair from Everest-Jennings for my mom! Gone...and not missed... Their "benefactor", FIAT? The same folks who are gonna save Chrysler?! All-ridy then...

In the mid-'80s, an organization called NUMMI was created by GM and Toyota and utilized a former-GM plant in Fremont CA to build vehicles badged by both. Slowly, but surely, GM's actual quality began to improve. Coincidence? No, not really..."spillover"...some important folks in Warren were paying attention.

Look for more "interesting chapters" in the auto biz as vehicles MUST shrink/strengthen/improve... while "resources" (financial and otherwise) remain and/or become tight... All those vehicles being created AND developed AND assembled, elsewhere, WILL have a strong North American impact...one way or another..."hand-in-hand", or "independently"... Evidence of cooperation between "rivals" is everywhere. Witness Ford's Hybrid program with Toyota's fingerprints all over it... "More to come..."

History...repeats... Like us, "adapt, or die"...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 01-18-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #136
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Your opinions; How much could reasonably be saved from the 5th Gen and it still be a comfortable DD.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #137
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Gee...Number 3 covered that (in the "Pedders" thread, I think)...
Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #138
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Your opinions; How much could reasonably be saved from the 5th Gen and it still be a comfortable DD.
Depends on how you define reasonable, and what you are comfortable with.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #139
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
If you've got the money to blow, you can reduce weight and not lose much if any comforts.

If you don't have much money, (as in even buying lighter/smaller wheels and tires puts a hurt on your budget) then you can probably get away with 100 - 150 lbs comfortable by doing exhaust, light weight battery, and the like. Beyond that, things start getting expensive, or you start losing things like your seats.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #140
htron50

HA...... now would you be comfortable with running BOTH exhausts into a single pipe all the way back to ONE muffler with two outlets, LOL???? Saves weight! HA... I had to get that in.