Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 01-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
dantemcc

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Putting my car on a track 1st time.

I've never taken a car and put it on a race track before and threw it around like i intend to March 11 at Road Atlanta. Just needed some things to take into consideration while on the track. Any tips, safety precautions or anything anyone can think of that they feel one should know when taking their car to a race track for the very first time.

Since my wheels are dipped, is there a chance of it coming of if and when i do 100+? I just got the front splitter installed and was curious if I also have to worry about issues or problems arising from it?
dantemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
You need to change your brake fluid to DOT.4. beside that go pregessively during the day with speed and braking...and have fun!

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
dantemcc

I can get that done at any brake/tire {NTB, JIFFY LUBE) I'm assuming? Can I continue using the DOT4 after the track day? Or is it best to bleed them and go back to original?
Old 01-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
MediumLabowski

Drives: '16 FiST
ya, brake fluid.

im putting my camaro on the track in two weeks. it will be stock except for some fresh 600 fluid. i havent been on the track in a couple years, so its just take it easy and listen to any instructions for me. The very best info comes from making pals with the experienced folks that youll be driving with... theyll answer any questions you have, i promise.

jiffy lube, not advisable. ntb, maybe. there are tons of speed shops around Atlanta. Forged and TopSpeed off the top of my head
MediumLabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
dantemcc

Gotcha. So other than upgrading the brake fluid, I should be good to go? Since it'll be my first time on a track, they paired me with an instructor to ride with me the entire day to get my skills up to snuff so I wont kill, damage or hurt anything or anyone.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantemcc View Post
Gotcha. So other than upgrading the brake fluid, I should be good to go? Since it'll be my first time on a track, they paired me with an instructor to ride with me the entire day to get my skills up to snuff so I wont kill, damage or hurt anything or anyone.
Good too go! Instructors are your best bet to improve.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
ritchet

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS Red Rock
The first time I took my car to the track, not my Camaro but my Jetta GLI, I was shocked by the ware on my brand new tires . Those tires lasted about 6 months after the track.
ritchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
1) Make sure that your car is in good mechanical condition. DOT 4 brake fluid would be good. Fresh fluids elsewhere are also strongly recommended.

2) Keep yourself in good condition as well. Eat healthy; drink plenty of fluids. Driving fast is hard work.

3) Don't sweat the petty stuff; your splitter and wheel paint will be non-issues. Your primary concern is keeping the car on the track and shiny-side up; focus your attention accordingly.

4) Do you understand the basics of the racing line, and what to do with the vehicle inputs at various points in the line? Do you know how to apply those lines to your track? If not, then make sure to get a good instructor. Watching videos can be helpful, but it certainly no substitute for first-hand instruction.

5) Pay attention during the driver's meeting. Learn how to enter and exit the track, and what the various flags mean and how you need to react to them.

6) You won't be setting any track records the first time out. Concentrate on doing the right things at the right time, be smooth, listen to what the car is telling you, and let the speed come naturally.

7) Have fun, enjoy hanging out with other drivers, and enjoy the day. It's a hell of a lot more fun than going to work.
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #9
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Everyone forgets to tell you to drink water and bring food
Old 01-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #10
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Everyone forgets to tell you to drink water and bring food
Yep - you'll hear about needing this part and that driving technique, but basic maintenance and care for the driver is largely ignored. All the hardware in the world won't help if you get brain fade from dehydration or lack of calories...
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I remove my antifreeze and run straight water- then back to antifreeze mix for the street.

Remember your first time out is to practice lines and get the feel, don't go thinking you'll be the Stig by the end of the day. Enjoy yourself, listen to the car, listen to those who know what they are doing. There WILL be a knowitall there who may latch on to you to "help" so know WHO is giving you advice and whether they are qualified to do so.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:37 PM   #12
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Make sure you warm up the tires for a lap or so if it's chilly. These tires suck until warm. PUT THE CAR IN COMPETITIVE MODE, you will overheat the brakes and have a lot more under steer if you don't. Many will probably say different, but experience trumps "opinions"
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #13
dantemcc

My car has a competitive mode? I thought that was just for the V8 owners?
Old 01-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #14
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantemcc View Post
My car has a competitive mode? I thought that was just for the V8 owners?
Looks like a 1LE. That photo fooled em real good LOL.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote