Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 11-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #15
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I've been registering for CAM in my local club, just because I don't want to run in ESP. In CAM as long as I have 200+ treadwear tires almost anything goes, which is great for a 2010 because the suspension needs so much help. Also my skills need lots of help lol. I'm running NOV probably for this coming year.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
BruHop

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE,RS,NPP,Recaros in SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
This is excellent advice and I thank you for it. When I got my 1LE last year I had great visions of mods that I would like to do, but without a comprehensive plan or even if I would like autocrossing at all its clear that it is best to wait and see. Since the 1LE is so competitive in F Street that would probably be a great place for me to start and get that much needed seat time. Then with some experience under my belt I can decide if any mods are needed. Next season I should have a work shift that gives me Saturday and Sunday off so I can go both days for events. Thank you everyone for the great advice I really appreciate it.

After watching David drive the 1LE like this, no need for modifications. This car is fast in the street class. It's the driver (me) that needs better mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=_ZjyeBJZY88
BruHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #17
lostwon

Drives: JST FAST
Talkin' the 2014 SCCA F Street NATIONAL Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruHop View Post
After watching David drive the 1LE like this, no need for modifications. This car is fast in the street class. It's the driver (me) that needs better mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=_ZjyeBJZY88
For those of you who don't follow SCCA Solo Autocrossing, the David in the video is the National Champ in the F street class this year, in a 1LE.

F Street means 95% stock on street tires(140 tread wear minimum this year, 200 TW for 2015). Only allowed mods are shocks, one stabilizer bar, front or rear; and you can go up or down one inch in wheel size, but must keep to stock width and offset. Any tire size that you can fit on those wheels.
lostwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
lostwon

Sandy Eggo SCCA Autocross

Quote:
I am considering running my 2014 1LE in SCCA autocross next season and had some questions about what modifications would put me in which class. Currently I only have a Cold Air Intake which I can swap back to the stock airbox in about 15 minutes time and that should put me in F Street where I understand that 1LE's are very competitive. However I am also interested in making a few modifications to the car for HPDE events throughout the year but this could have consequences on my autocross classification. How would the following modifications affecting my classing?
  • Would additions like the Z/28 Brake Duct kit and the Z/28 Differential cooler affect which class I would compete in?
  • What about any of the BMR suspension components, specifically bushing kits that would swap out the stock rubber bushings for polyurethane?
  • Where would I likely end up if I went crazy and upgraded to the Z/28 DSSV suspension kit I have seen available? I know there are some acceptions in the rulebook for replacing parts from other models but the Z/28 to my knowledge is not currently in any autocross class so I have no idea if this is even remotely possible.
  • And finally would mostly cosmetic modifications have any affect such as ZL1 rockers or a Z/28 rear diffuser?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Didn't see if you had Auto-Xed before. If you haven't tried it here, you should!

You are sooo lucky, Egon! You are sitting right in the middle of the world's best region for autocross. It's what? 82 degrees and clear today? And there's an autocross Sunday Nov. 30 at Qualcomm stadium's west lot .
We put on 13/14 events a year, pretty much year round. The Qualcomm west lot is one of the best in the country for autocross, with long straights and both on and off camber turns to challenge you. Come on down!

Find out more here: http://sdrscca.com/scca-solo-autocross/

Now, as to your questions: Almost anything you do to your 1LE on your list will push you into a class that your car will no longer be competitive in.
The simple answer, as pointed out in some of the posts above, is go to F Street. Pure stock, your 1LE is competitive there. So put your stock airbox back in, put a half a tank of gas in, put about 38/42 cold psi in the front and 36/38 psi in back and you're done.

Get there early. Dawn is good, and walk the course several times. FStreet runs in the morning, so don't be late.

I'll be there in a Red 2012 Mustang, #7. Look me up. Be glad to help you with anything you need to know. Or PM me here.

Be there!
Best Regards, John
Old 11-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #19
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwon View Post
Didn't see if you had Auto-Xed before. If you haven't tried it here, you should!

You are sooo lucky, Egon! You are sitting right in the middle of the world's best region for autocross. It's what? 82 degrees and clear today? And there's an autocross Sunday Nov. 30 at Qualcomm stadium's west lot .
We put on 13/14 events a year, pretty much year round. The Qualcomm west lot is one of the best in the country for autocross, with long straights and both on and off camber turns to challenge you. Come on down!

Find out more here: http://sdrscca.com/scca-solo-autocross/

Now, as to your questions: Almost anything you do to your 1LE on your list will push you into a class that your car will no longer be competitive in.
The simple answer, as pointed out in some of the posts above, is go to F Street. Pure stock, your 1LE is competitive there. So put your stock airbox back in, put a half a tank of gas in, put about 38/42 cold psi in the front and 36/38 psi in back and you're done.

Get there early. Dawn is good, and walk the course several times. FStreet runs in the morning, so don't be late.

I'll be there in a Red 2012 Mustang, #7. Look me up. Be glad to help you with anything you need to know. Or PM me here.

Be there!
Best Regards, John
Thanks for the encouragement. I wont be able to make it this Sunday but I am planning on trying it out next season. I will stop it with the modifications to try and stay with F-Street. The only thing that I am concerned about now is that I have an aftermarket pedal cover kit that I installed. Taking the clutch and brake cover off will not be a big deal but the one on the gas pedal may be difficult. It will probably be easier for me to just buy a second electric gas pedal and swap that out considering how much trouble it was to get it installed in the first place.

I have been keeping track of all of the events and I tried to sign up for the new driver instruction course they had on Nov 22nd but I didn't sign up fast enough to get included. When does the next season start? I am going to order a helmet soon and maybe try to sign up for one of the HPDE events through Speedventures in the next few months if I can. Looking forward to next season though, and thank you to everyone for the great advice.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #20
lostwon

More

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement. I wont be able to make it this Sunday but I am planning on trying it out next season. I will stop it with the modifications to try and stay with F-Street. The only thing that I am concerned about now is that I have an aftermarket pedal cover kit that I installed. Taking the clutch and brake cover off will not be a big deal but the one on the gas pedal may be difficult. It will probably be easier for me to just buy a second electric gas pedal and swap that out considering how much trouble it was to get it installed in the first place.

I have been keeping track of all of the events and I tried to sign up for the new driver instruction course they had on Nov 22nd but I didn't sign up fast enough to get included. When does the next season start? I am going to order a helmet soon and maybe try to sign up for one of the HPDE events through Speedventures in the next few months if I can. Looking forward to next season though, and thank you to everyone for the great advice.
Sorry you can't make this weekend. Even if you can't race, come by in the morning and find me. Like to meet you. I'm looking to get as many interested in running FStreet in 2015 as possible. Competition is Fun!

Whoa! Don't go to the trouble of taking off the pedal covers, yet. Nobody is going to protest you until you start winning, anyway. If you do decide to buy a helmet soon, check with the HPDE group you might run with for their requirements. Auto-x, for instance, allows open face helmets in stock cars, which allow more visibility, more comfort, and are less expensive than the closed face models.

With all due respect, you should consider doing auto-x for about six events before you do an HPDE. You will get much more out of an HPDE after you've gotten comfortable with your car at the limit in auto-x.
Trust me. Been playing this game for a long time.

The new San Diego Region season schedule for 2015 isn't out yet. We have to negotiate with the stadium for that. (If the Chargers get lucky, they might need the stadium in January.) It will be published on the website above. Check the "discussion forums" after Christmas. Get familiar with that San Diego Region website, there's a wealth of useful information there; as well as links to sites in L.A. and Las Vegas.

See ya around the asphalt!
John
Old 11-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #21
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Sorry you can't make this weekend. Even if you can't race, come by in the morning and find me. Like to meet you. I'm looking to get as many interested in running FStreet in 2015 as possible. Competition is Fun!

Whoa! Don't go to the trouble of taking off the pedal covers, yet. Nobody is going to protest you until you start winning, anyway. If you do decide to buy a helmet soon, check with the HPDE group you might run with for their requirements. Auto-x, for instance, allows open face helmets in stock cars, which allow more visibility, more comfort, and are less expensive than the closed face models.

With all due respect, you should consider doing auto-x for about six events before you do an HPDE. You will get much more out of an HPDE after you've gotten comfortable with your car at the limit in auto-x.
Trust me. Been playing this game for a long time.

The new San Diego Region season schedule for 2015 isn't out yet. We have to negotiate with the stadium for that. (If the Chargers get lucky, they might need the stadium in January.) It will be published on the website above. Check the "discussion forums" after Christmas. Get familiar with that San Diego Region website, there's a wealth of useful information there; as well as links to sites in L.A. and Las Vegas.

See ya around the asphalt!
John
I am planning on getting a helmet that is SA2010 or possibly SA2015 approved so that it is usable in as many events as possible. I am most likely going to get a closed face helmet unless by some miracle someone makes a modular helmet that is SA anything approved within the next few months.

You are also probably right about holding off on the HPDE. I hope they have another newbie class for Autocross before the start of next season and if they do hopefully I am quick enough to register before they are sold out. The one on November 22nd that I was hoping to attend sold out in less than a day so by the time I knew it was happening it was sold out.

As for the pedal covers I will leave them for now, but I was wondering why such a simple modification was not allowed, but then figured it may have something to do with ease of heal-toe downshifting and that is why it wasn't specifically allowed for F-Street.

If you know of any upcoming events especially EVO school or anything of the like please PM me with a heads up. I will be going to a weekends off shift after December 6th (for the first time in my LIFE) and will be able to attend a wider variety of events because of it. Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #22
rodknee
amidst a mid-life crisis

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
F Street means 95% stock on street tires....d you can go up or down one inch in wheel size, but must keep to stock width and offset. .
incorrect. you can change offset 1/4" or 6mm. this is a leftover rule from "stock" class.
rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #23
booyaa56

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Fun times coming in 2015 ��
booyaa56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #24
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
You are also probably right about holding off on the HPDE. I hope they have another newbie class for Autocross before the start of next season and if they do hopefully I am quick enough to register before they are sold out. The one on November 22nd that I was hoping to attend sold out in less than a day so by the time I knew it was happening it was sold out.
I think it's a good call to get some autocross experience under your belt first, and the 1LE is as good a weapon as any in FS at least for now.

Once out on the big tracks, you may have to "unlearn" some of the franticness and hand speed/busyness/timing that's unavoidable when maneuvers are as closely spaced as they are at most autocrosses (example - you need to start steering noticeably before you get to each slalom cone else you'll never get the car caught up and back on the line it needs to be on for properly getting around the next slalom cone). Some people have an easier time at this sort of mental transition than others, but this is something that most of the instructors I've spoken with both in person and in online conversations to have commonly noticed about students new to tracking coming from an autocross background.

I'd rate myself as a fair if unexceptional autocrosser and an intermediate-level track driver, certainly not an HPDE instructor. If it matters, I'd had several years of autocross experience before doing any tracking.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #25
lostwon

Fun times in 2015, YUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaa56 View Post
Fun times coming in 2015 ��
Congrats on your good times in January, and enjoy the buzz.

Beware the 15th of February, and watch your six; there's a Hoss coming for you, and it's got new shoes now.

'Course we've ALL still got to beat the Beemer.....

See ya Feb 15,
Best Regards and Good Luck!

John
Old 03-20-2016, 10:47 PM   #26
mcynet

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
1. mod rims and tires.... move to 19" rims in factory size and offset so you can run Bridgestone re71r's..... BEST TIRE OUT THERE look at nationals results for FS

2. Alignment with as much negative camber as you can get... That makes the !LE a beast Ive been autocrossing one for 2 years.

if you want to mod the car just move to cam-c

(OLD CAR)2014 Camaro 1LE, 2SS, NPP Dual Mode Exhaust, K&N Air Filter. E3 Catch Can. z28 Grill, and 1LE Badging
mcynet is offline   Reply With Quote